Thinking about defecting by Dylpro
Started on: 03-12-2016 01:34 AM
Replies: 32 (1296 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 06-21-2017 11:38 AM
Dylpro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2016 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No no, not to the Red Star! I finally got back my Fiero after 3 months and so far, things have been running well I'm happy to say. It was a beautiful day today and as I'm trying to run around making sure everything is back in working order I'm going for a cruise with the sunroof off. I had to drive my friend to pick his car up about 10 minutes outside of town.

I'd driven this way several times before and several times noticed another little mid engined creature parked at an office building along this route. About 2 months ago I pulled over to check it out and it seemed in pretty decent condition. Little surface rust, but nothing major. The tags were recent so I figured the owner must be thoroughly enjoying it so I didn't bother go in to speak with them.

Back to today. As I'm driving my friend down to the shop, we pass by this office building. However, the little gem is now on the opposite parking lot facing the street with two great big "For Sale" signs in the window. Naturally I had to go back after dropping my friend off. I parked my Fiero next to it and go out to take a look around. A gentleman saw me checking it out and I waved him down to ask if I could speak to the owner. I'm then greeted by a very nice woman who gives me a little bit of the back story on the car. She'd owned it for five years, never had any serious problems, and now needed to get rid of it because she needed a bigger car for the grand kids. I trade her my keys for collateral and take it out for a spin.

First thing I notice right away was the power steering! It almost caught me off guard! I pull out and let the car open up on the highway. 126,000 miles, but everything felt very composed. No shaking at 60 mph and drove perfectly straight. Radio didn't work, a/c did. Brakes probably need new pads as well, but overall, a nice ride. I get back and I ask her how much she's looking to get out of the car. $1800. Certainly doable for me at this point. I tell her I'll consider it and get back to her on Monday. My mind may be made up, but I intend to get it up on a lift and hopefully get some info on the maintenance history before anything else. I know timing belts can be a pain and the transmission, while not slipping, may not have been the smoothest it could've been. Maybe cause for concern, but in my short test drive, I couldn't get enough to feel to say for sure.

In case you didn't figure it out already, the vehicle in question is a Toyota MR2. It's a 1989 Series 1 notchback with the base 4 banger non supercharged. I certainly enjoyed the drive and think it would be a very neat addition to my driveway. While I still love my Fiero, I thought this may be a fun little car to cruise around in for a bit and selling a little bit down the road. As I intend to keep my Fiero for a while, it wouldn't hurt driving it a little less to keep its mileage down, but still being able to enjoy a fun little car. These seem to be trending around $2500 when I see them so I'm hoping I can swing it for $1600.

Just thought I'd share the story! If anyone has any opinions about it feel free to rattle them off! I'm certainly not decided by any means so would be more than open to some "constructive" criticism on my choice. Thanks for reading!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2016 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go for it. The 4A-GE is one of the best engines ever made. Makes a great noise with the right exhaust, too. More power than the duke, but not as much as the 2.8 V6, but it's about right for the car.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2016 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The biggest complaint I hear is rust. Good luck!
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2016 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took a couple pictures. Virtually no major rust on the body, I'm comparing it to my old Taurus SHO which was essentially more rot than car. Small surface spots on the edges of the doors but none in the wheel wells where you'd expect it to usually be. I'm going to get it up on a lift hopefully on Monday to see underneath and if all checks out there I may go for it.

I'll upload those pictures when I get the chance later today.

Edit for pictures:

[This message has been edited by Dylpro (edited 03-12-2016).]

Pancake

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2016 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PancakeSend a Private Message to PancakeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those things are also a pain to do any bodywork on, lots of hidden bolts. That's true of any Toyota from that era though. Totally agreed on the 4AGE being a fun engine and the supercharged 4AGZE cars are downright fast through about a buck twenty.

Honestly the 2 is the same base idea as the Fiero (economy car parts to build a mid engine sports car) but executed better IMO. Just don't expect a lot of Toyota support for it and it's a very different sort of thing to wrench on. Also it's a full unibody which has it's pluses and minuses. That said AW11 MR2s are a kick to drive around curvy backroads!

[This message has been edited by Pancake (edited 03-13-2016).]

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My favorite of the MR2's, body style that is.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 03-15-2016).]

Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agreed! Unfortunately this car needs more work than originally thought. Rust underneath was really not too bad, the front trunk compartment was rotted somewhat, but not catastrophic. However, it will need a whole new exhaust system.

I took the car for about 2 hours and got to drive it around. Transmission isn't as bad as I thought, but my Fiero shifts smoother. Still a pretty fun car to drive. After I got it on the lift my mechanic told me it wasn't worth the $1600 I was planning on spending. I was going to go back and try negotiating but she said that someone had come and offered $1700. I wasn't going to go higher after I told her what we saw underneath.

That was yesterday. Today I get a voicemail saying the other buyer couldn't come up with the money. I simply said I couldn't go higher than $1000. She said that she'd take that, so it looks like I'll be picking it up tomorrow.
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Officially an MR2 owner! $1000 dollars. She needs some lovin' but overall not a bad buy.

Probably because of the fact that my Fiero is in rather good condition with far less mileage, I'd pick it over the MR2 any day, but it doesn't mean the MR2 isn't a great drive! Very fun little car. So even though I've defected, I'm still far partial to my Formula

[This message has been edited by Dylpro (edited 03-16-2016).]

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats! Get the rust before it gets the car!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2016 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check for rust under those quarter panel rubber deflectors. They hide more than they protect, but to the good side, even a rough repair is hidden when you put them back on over it. They seem to hold dirt and water there making it rust. You want to fix it before it spreads past the rubber.
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2016 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Check for rust under those quarter panel rubber deflectors. They hide more than they protect, but to the good side, even a rough repair is hidden when you put them back on over it. They seem to hold dirt and water there making it rust. You want to fix it before it spreads past the rubber.

Thanks everyone!

Yes Roger I noticed that as the passenger didn't have one and there's clearly more rust on that spot than there is any where else on the car. I'll have to find how to remove them to check out the drivers side and I'll also need to find a replacement for the passenger side.

After about 4 days of ownership here's what I've found.
-It's a cop magnet. Well I was just being stupid I guess. Nailed for 52 in a 35. First speeding ticket in a few years
-It drives pretty nicely. It has a high idle when you first start it up after letting it cool. After it warms up though the idle goes back down and the transmission shifts much smoother.
-Gas mileage is good. Filled up for less than 15 dollars for a full tank and I'm still above half a tank after lots of driving during the past couple days. Better than my Fiero
-The transmission when shifting smoother is much better than the 3 speed auto in my Formula. It's pretty fun for an automatic with the ECT button. Puts it into "Power" mode which is makes the transmission shift at higher RPMs. Very fun for an automatic and makes for a more exhilarating drive than the 3 speed in the Fiero.
-Needs. More. Power. It's just draggingly slow off the line. I'm sure it's lost some ponies over the years and it definitely is in need of a tune up, but man it just feels dead when you put your foot down. Once it's moving it's great fun around the corners, but it just needs some more get up. Definitely feel the power difference in the Fiero. The acceleration of both is probably similar but the Fiero just lets you feel it more. More torque I guess.
Overall it's been a good car. Enjoying it so far, but between both, give me my Fiero. But man, I can only think of what that supercharged car is like....
PFF
System Bot
Oregon88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2016 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Defector! Lol i knew by the title exactly what the post would be about.
I think the car is prety cool too, just have a stiff preference for american made.
I hope it treats you well!
I wonder what the mr2 community is like, i'd be willing to bet its not as cool as this one and that their forums are no where near as bad ass as this one is.

But i hope they treat you well.

Post some side by side pics!
CavScout

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2016 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dylpro:

Officially an MR2 owner! $1000 dollars. She needs some lovin' but overall not a bad buy.

Probably because of the fact that my Fiero is in rather good condition with far less mileage, I'd pick it over the MR2 any day, but it doesn't mean the MR2 isn't a great drive! Very fun little car. So even though I've defected, I'm still far partial to my Formula

I'm in a similar pickle - I hope you continue to post updates.

Originally posted by Oregon88:

Defector! Lol i knew by the title exactly what the post would be about.
I think the car is prety cool too, just have a stiff preference for american made.
I hope it treats you well!
I wonder what the mr2 community is like, i'd be willing to bet its not as cool as this one and that their forums are no where near as bad ass as this one is.

But i hope they treat you well.

Post some side by side pics!

I've been looking thru some of their forums - not as active, but some good archived info - still, not as well thought out and organized as here.
Plus, of course they're not as bad assed LOL

I may be in for an odd trifecta of sorts. Some of you have read I wrecked my nearly done 87 GT, and am so bummed out, I know I won't do anything further with her until next year. I just can't bring myself to wrench on it.

As I just started at Ford, I needed a Ford for my work commute. Nearest thing to a Fiero I could find was a 91 Capri XR2. Fun little bugger in its own right, but not nearly as near and dear to my heart as my GT. However, I can park it in the employee parking lot LOL

Well, went to look at another Capri for either a parts car, or to fix up and give to my daughter to drive. (Air bag and automatic front wheel drive are pluses for young ladies - make it a red convertible, and irresistible LOL) and this old guy has a 87 MR2 in suspended animation in his barn. Looks almost new under the vast layer of dust. Hasn't been on the road since 96 and has less than 100k on it. 5 speed, NA (no supercharger darn!) but the prettiest what I'll call British racing green with tan lowers two tone paint I've ever seen on a MR2. Throw in sunroof and all the other options besides leather and t-tops and it's a sharp looking original car that drove when he parked it. Hasn't been started in 3 years he guesses after the battery died and he pulled it but never replaced it. So, tons of work to make it road worthy I'm sure, but looks fairly easy to restore and can't believe I didn't see any rust. Parts availability in my limited searching seems to be good, just hard to find these up in the rust belt that aren't all rotted up or kid racer'd.

So now I'm torn. I think it's a good deal, and think it'd look great parked next to my GT. I've always said I'd buy a gold plated dog turd if someone put it on a plaque and said it was shat in 87. (Joke around my house....) I have a habit of getting toys I couldn't afford when in high school. The Fiero and MR2 were IT in 87,,,, I feel like I'll have odd book ends of sorts - and can't help myself but think I'm going to rent a trailer and pick it up. Combined with the Capri's - well, my neighbors think I'm crazy for sure.

Sorry for the hijack - I hope you do post side by side pics!
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2016 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't looked at this thread in a while! The MR2 now resides in a suburb of Chicago, her new owner loves it and is giving it a full restoration last I heard. It was a fun car, but in the end I just couldn't afford the upkeep of two oddball sports cars at the time, and when it came down to it, the Fiero wasn't going anywhere. I will say if you have an opportunity and the means to get the MR2, go for it! It's an insanely fun car to drive! Don't let the power fool you, even without the supercharger it's an awesome little sports car. I hear with the 5 speed there even more fun. There is a 5th gear pop out issue I read about though that you may want to be wary about. But an MR2 without any rust is a deal in itself. Mine had minimal rust, but it was there. If you can get it for a good price then I'd say go for it, you won't regret it! Make sure to get the timing belt replaced though.

The MR2 forum isn't nearly as active nor enjoyable. I love Pennocks and even though I don't post often, I'm a regular lurker. Pennocks just has a more pleasant and welcoming atmosphere. The MR2 guys seemed pretty nice too though from the short time I was hanging there. I'd imagine though you'll find a lot more 20 year JDM fan boys named Lil Mike who's attitudes are louder than their cars. Didn't spend enough time to meet those guys though.

A teacher at my high school had a mint Capri that used to ride in the parades with the band. I like them but I'm not huge for convertibles. I'm starting college this year and have been wanting something to go back and forth to school with (about two hours from home) and I would love to be able to get into a mint '97 Probe GT, but much like the MR2s, it's hard to find one not raced out, especially in my Fiero-owner minded budget. Found a 1990 BMW 525 that apparently runs but has electrical problems. It's only 500, but a 500 dollar BMW doesn't usually stay a 500 dollar BMW for long. I'm akin to something American but still want it to be something I'll enjoy so I've kept my eyes peeled for sixer Camaros or Mustangs and other things of such.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2016 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's only 500, but a 500 dollar BMW doesn't usually stay a 500 dollar BMW for long.

That's the same reason why I don't pick up an "inexpensive" Porsche. They're relatively common here. So far I'm refusing to bite.

But geez, I really like the look of this '86 944 being advertised Here for $2500(Cdn)... which is just over $1900 in US funds.

Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2016 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^ Those have always been a temptation for me as well. I chose my most recent Fiero over one of those for nostalgic reasons. I see thsoe 944's around here pretty frequently for "cheap". Sometimes even the turbo ones.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2016 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was dog-sitting a husky for a month back in April, and since huskies like to walk and walk and walk and walk... I saw a lot of my neighborhood in April. I noticed there was a 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX about a mile from my place that never moved, so I put a note on the windshield asking if they might wish to sell the car. With 227-280 HP and AWD, I've been considering getting an older WRX for autocross.

Today, four months later... the guy contacts me. His insurance is running out within the week, and he's willing to sell the WRX for about a third of what they usually go for around here. What's the catch? Well, it's got a "rebuilt" title. The owner maintains it was just body damage (which was all repaired, looks good), and that the accident several years ago didn't affect the frame at all. I don't believe anything that someone selling a car says.

This is an online image of a similar looking 2002 WRX...

Anyway, I'm supposed to go look at it early next week. I admit to being a little apprehensive.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-20-2016).]

Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2016 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like Subies. May consider a new one when I get my next DD. The bugeye are probably my least favorite though, hawk/blob are more my taste. Good luck with the car, hopefully it's better than you think it'll be.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2016 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero 88:

The bugeye are probably my least favorite though, hawk/blob are more my taste.

I myself prefer the generation immediately preceding the "bugeye" ones, but some people like 'em.

What are "hawk/blob"?
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2016 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What happened with the Subie there, Patrick? I personally love the bugeye generation, more specifically the wagon model. Looked at a couple before I bought my Fiero, but none were in the best of shape.

I too have looked at a few 80s Porsches, especially after you shared the article in my other thread

Unfortunately even the older Porsches in my area seem to go for a premium. 924s are your best bet if you want to stay cheap, even the occasional 914 pops up. You're hard pressed to find any 944 or 928 nowadays under 4000. I'd say 5000 is usually more common. In my area at least. And the ones under that area usually a little more worse for wear.

Example 1
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Example 2- If you believe the sellers detailed description though this one could be a steal at $3500
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by Dylpro (edited 09-21-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2016 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What happened with the Subie there, Patrick?

I was waiting for the guy to get back in touch with me to go see his WRX. And I waited, and I waited... So I eventually re-contacted him to see what was going on. He gave the usual BS that he had been "busy"... and by the way, the price was now double what he had quoted me earlier. Needless to say, I told him I was no longer interested in his car.

Here's a Porsche I possibly should've jumped on a couple weeks ago. I spotted this Craigslist ad shortly after it was posted, and the car was only a couple miles from me.

That's just over $1300(US) for an '87 944 S with about 148,000 miles. It was rather appealing... but my buddy who owns a Porsche 914/6 expressed his concerns that the failed water pump might've also cooked/damaged the engine in the process... so I didn't check the car out. Might've been a great purchase, or could've been a mess. I guess I'll never know.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-21-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2016 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think water pump failure was common on these. Specifically the earlier pre 85 models. Even so, that car in my area would likely be asking double.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2016 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm supposed to be going to look at this '98 Subaru Impreza JDM WRX STi wagon on Sunday. I'm a little leery of the EJ20K engine... as rumor has it they tend to be prone to having issues. However, before they blow up , the 280+ HP is probably kind of fun!

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2016 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I'm supposed to be going to look at this '98 Subaru Impreza JDM WRX STi wagon on Sunday. I'm a little leery of the EJ20K engine... as rumor has it they tend to be prone to having issues. However, before they blow up , the 280+ HP is probably kind of fun!

That generation does have some issues, but they do drive and handle better than the 3rd gen cars. Shifter is also MUCH nicer. I hate the shifter in my 2014.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2016 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

... they do drive and handle better than the 3rd gen cars.

For autocross purposes, I like the fact that the 1st generation Imprezas appear to weigh 200-300 lbs less than the later models. And although a wagon is slightly heavier than a sedan, the functionality of having a wagon for carting stuff around makes it worthwhile for me... especially when the other cars I own are Fieros. (I do currently own a '94 Elantra, and I've really enjoyed it for the last ten years, but it'll be going bye-bye when I get another car with a back seat.)

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-27-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2016 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm supposed to be going to look at this '98 Subaru Impreza JDM WRX STi wagon on Sunday...

I just got back. The car looks pretty good, and certainly goes pretty good. No... it goes really good. Damn!

I'm a bit concerned though that the rear hatch area leaks like a sieve. The spare tire tub in the back was FULL of water. That's like about six inches deep! It's no wonder the owner had a container of desiccant on the floor in front of the back seat. It rains here a lot, and I'm forced to keep my cars outside, so a leaky car is a big headache... unless it's possible to figure out where all this rainwater is getting in.

The rear bumper is also held on with zip ties, and it appears that there are plastic panels missing from inside the rear wheel wells. If this was a Fiero, I'd know exactly what might be missing... but it's a Subaru, and this is all virgin territory to me.

I'm wondering if there might be a connection between the rear bumper which has been off the car and mickey-moused back on, and the rear hatch not being water tight. Like perhaps something is cracked or slightly twisted due to an impact which is now allowing rainwater to leak in. The car does have a clean title (not rebuilt), but paperwork can be misleading.

I didn't want to buy the car on impulse, so I said I'd get back to him in a couple of hours. The price is very reasonable. Hmmm...

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-28-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2016 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I didn't want to buy the car on impulse, so I said I'd get back to him in a couple of hours. The price is very reasonable. Hmmm...

I brought it home a few hours ago. I'll need to start a new thread.
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2016 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excited to see some more pictures! Congratulations on the purchase. I've never had the opportunity to participate in an auto cross but it sounds like something that'd be a great time for any gear head! Unfortunately as of now my Fiero is strictly an A to B daily driver, for better or worse

Curse the United States and their ridiculous 25 year rule! I moved away from Canada long before I could drive though, or even have the opportunity to look around for some interesting imports.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2016 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm a bit concerned though that the rear hatch area leaks like a sieve. The spare tire tub in the back was FULL of water. That's like about six inches deep! It's no wonder the owner had a container of desiccant on the floor in front of the back seat. It rains here a lot, and I'm forced to keep my cars outside, so a leaky car is a big headache... unless it's possible to figure out where all this rainwater is getting in.

Unless a proper fix is doable. Drill a hole in the bottom of the spare tire tub, and remove some of the soft stuff back there, I.E. carpet and padding
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2016 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Excited to see some more pictures! Congratulations on the purchase.

Thanks. I'll start a new thread and post plenty of pictures. However, it's been raining since the day I bought it, so I haven't taken any shots of it yet.

I've never had the opportunity to participate in an auto cross but it sounds like something that'd be a great time for any gear head! Unfortunately as of now my Fiero is strictly an A to B daily driver, for better or worse.

I drove my 90 HP '84 duke at autocross for the first three years or so, then I drove my 150 HP '88 Formula for the last couple of years... and starting next season, I'll be driving this 280+ HP '98 Impreza STi. The Fieros were great fun at autocross, but the power and performance of this car is in a whole new league!

Curse the United States and their ridiculous 25 year rule! I moved away from Canada long before I could drive though, or even have the opportunity to look around for some interesting imports.

As I began my research into JDM vehicles, it didn't take long to discover that Vancouver here on the west coast is basically where all JDM imports are funneled through for North America. It quickly became a no-brainer to realize that a good deal could probably be found here on a JDM Subaru. It took me a year, but I think I eventually snagged a real good one!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2016 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36360 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by 2.5:

Unless a proper fix is doable. Drill a hole in the bottom of the spare tire tub, and remove some of the soft stuff back there, I.E. carpet and padding

It seems that a very common problem with these cars is the rear tail light rubber gaskets no longer seal properly against the body, and rainwater is then basically channeled into the rear hatch area. Yes, I've removed everything from back there to dry it all out. There is a factory drain plug in the spare tire tub, but yeah, wouldn't you know it... it's not at the lowest point! Anyway, I'm pretty confident if it ever stops raining here that I'll be able to seal up these tail lights, which will hopefully stop all the leaking. Fortunately, the car does not smell musty.

I've also got a big household dehumidifier here that I want to use in the car, but they don't work very well when the ambient temperature is low. Ice forms on the cooling tubes of the dehumidifier... and then it becomes useless. If it doesn't warm up a bit, I may need to use a small space heater in the car in addition to the dehumidifier.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-02-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2017 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm supposed to be going to look at this '98 Subaru Impreza JDM WRX STi wagon on Sunday. I'm a little leery of the engine... as rumor has it they tend to be prone to having issues. However, before they blow up , the 280+ HP is probably kind of fun!

make it into an 818

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by longjonsilver:

make it into an 818

I'd love to have one of those, but if I was to build it... it would take for freakin' ever! I know my limitations.

Just temporarily posting this here until I start a new thread about my '98 Impreza STi...

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-13-2017).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock