BMW 740? Worth fixing? by Dylpro
Started on: 01-16-2016 08:38 PM
Replies: 11 (354 views)
Last post by: Dylpro on 03-22-2016 02:56 PM
Dylpro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2016 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Every time I go to work I see a sad sap of a BMW sitting in the parking lot. It's been there for the 2 years I've worked there unmoved. It belongs to the head cook of the restaurant who's worked there for years, so no idea how long it's sat before I got there. Today after my shift ended I casually asked what was wrong with it to which she responded "Computers shot". I didn't ask anything else. Just within the last 2 months I've seen a few people actually trying to work on it, and I heard her say someone got it running, but it must've been to no avail as the car still sits.

I'll be going to college after this year (Senior year in high school). I really don't want to be driving my Fiero back and forth and thought this could be an excellent car if I could snap it up cheap enough. I had heard someone saying that another coworker wanted to buy it a while ago. I heard the rumoured price was 600. Something must've fallen through as the cars still there. Out of curiosity, what would I be looking at to buy a computer for this car? I'm enrolled in an auto tech class where I could do the installation and other maintenance on my own. The shop is where my Fiero currently resides trying to fix a lifter problem. The teachers great and I intend to ask him what he thinks as well.

The car itself is beat up from sitting. Would need new tires, something is wrong with the window as its been stuck down for the last 3 months. Through rain and snow, so I'm fearful for the interior as well. Not sure on mileage, overall the body is in good shape with very small amount of rust on the doors. What would I be looking at to get this car in running order? Is $600 a good price for the car as it sits? I see these cars in the 2000-3500 dollar range quite often. Thanks to anyone who stuck through and read this all. Thanks for any input!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2016 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would say that with the window being down for over a year in your location, run. By now there will be nothing worth saving on the inside. The car is not worth more than scrap.
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2016 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

I would say that with the window being down for over a year in your location, run. By now there will be nothing worth saving on the inside. The car is not worth more than scrap.

Window has been down for only the last 3 months if not less. It has been covered with various plastic bags, whether that warrants anything or not.

Just the drivers side window.

[This message has been edited by Dylpro (edited 01-16-2016).]

Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2016 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
window down or broken. If down id be thinking this car has a huge electrical issue. Hence the computers not working and no one can seem to get it fixed. A lot of mechanics have issues tracing electrical shorts and if its a car this caliber theres a lot of moduels to worry about.
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2016 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took. Closer look today and it's far to out of my league. Thanks anyways guys!
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2016 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I often see various models of nice looking German cars (such as the Porsche 944) going for what seem to be ridiculously low prices on the local Craigslist, but I imagine it's the high cost of replacement parts (and/or their availability) that perhaps limits the asking prices on these cars.

An entertaining article on buying and fixing up a Porsche 944S is HERE.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-17-2016).]

Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2016 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was a very enjoyable read. I see lots of old Porsches on the classifieds as well. More and more Boxsters are beginning to show up for under 5k as well. The original 1999 models mainly. I found a 1985 944 on my local newspaper classifieds. The owner wanted 900 and it needed a water pump. I tried so hard to convince my dad to get it, my dad, the least mechanical person in the world, wouldn't go for it.

The other thing I notice though with a lot of these cars is that they go for "cheap" compared to what a Porsche or BMW in good shape goes for, what you can buy from Japan or Detroit in similar conditions (how much would a Fiero in that Porsches condition sold for?) would be a whole lot less. It seems to me these owners think the car is always with more simply because it's a BMW. I know the 740 I'm looking at, the owner apparently turned away from 700 cash. That's the most the car could be worth. A lot of the times the owners believe the name is 2000 dollars, while the car in question could be the bare minimum of the definition that is a "car"
Pancake

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PancakeSend a Private Message to PancakeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
German cars really depend on the car. Older (mid 90s or earlier) BMWs and Mercs tend to me very solid mechanically and will run forever if maintained but all sorts of little electrical gremlins that don't technically stop the car from running happen. Water cooled front engine Porsches are fun and affordable, but the parts cost is pretty insane; the parts are just as expensive as if the car were a new $80k Porsche off a dealer lot.

As far as a 7 series I'd generally walk. I'm assuming 740i or iL, the v8s have a lot that can go wrong with them if not extremely well maintained. Also that's possibly a nikasil era engine, which comes with it's own brand of trouble. 7s also come with many power features that break over time; there is a reason they devalue so fast after about 5 years. If it's a 735i or an older 733i I'd consider it, though things are pretty nice cars. They're not fast off the line but will cruise comfortably at any speed legal in the US (or a bit above) and are no more mechanically complicated than a 350 TPI engine.

EDIT: Duh, you said 740 in the title. No, don't get it. Unless a v8 car has been taken care of it will be a basketcase. BMWs are my vice, I've gotten to witness this multiple times (including my old 540-6)

[This message has been edited by Pancake (edited 01-22-2016).]

hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2016 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not an expert but a woman down the street insisted on buying a 700 series BMW . Cosmetically beautiflul with over 100K. I tried to persuade her NO, but she went ahead. After she got it electrical gremlins showed up. That car had warning lights for the rear stop lite and turn signal bulbs, to mention just a few. Anyway, within the year she was driving a Subaru. I never asked her what happened. Porsche Boxters are available for $2500 and up starting 1998 model year ,, and have strong appeal. But go on a forum and read about how cheaply made the engines are thru ? 2008? (not sure). But depreciation is bad mainly due to the risk of the IMS bearing failure, a class action suit . Arguably only affects 1-2%, but really a risk and the affected engines can grenade at any mileage. Pity, otherwise a good ride.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2016 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMO with most of those type / family of cars, it seems cheaper to buy another running one than to fix them.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2016 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The BMW 740 is awesome with great performance in good condition. It was like their top dog at the time. However, like mentioned parts and service are awesomely expensive too. A friend here had one and it was extremely fast for the day, but I never got a chance to drive it. I wouldnt buy a non running one without having a good BMW mechanic friend.
PFF
System Bot
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2016 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure what happened to the old BMW. I haven't asked the cook but I noticed about a month ago that it was gone. Not sure if they ever got it running or what, I know she wanted at least more than 700 for it but not sure how much. Maybe one of these days I'll ask what happened to it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock