Started on: 10-04-2014 02:39 PM
Replies: 16 (334 views)
Last post by: BrittB on 12-09-2014 05:18 PM
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive seen a few high end cars for sale around town,for about $8,900 (low Mileage). I've heard they break down frequentley and the parts are expensive. Have you ever owned a high end car? Give me your thoughts!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't. I can't afford $800 master cylinders and $80 oil changes. Besides, I'd rather have a domestic brand.
thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Meh... I've owned 10:1 European cars to domestic cars - multiple BMWs, Saabs, Volvos, Alfas, Audis, and a Mercedes and Jaguar to boot. I can count the domestics on one hand. They all have their pros and cons, and like the domestics, you can't really say "all Mercedes have problems" any more than you can say "all Chevys suck." Some cars have problems, some are expensive to maintain, and others are real gems. You really have to narrow it down to get any useful information $9k could be a pretty solid BMW E46 or some ghetto salvaged Mercedes W220.
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my e46 was great car till i got rear ended, it was bit trouble some with the cooling system after replacing hoses ,overflow and cleaning up the slip on connections it was fine but I done all the work myself and done regular maintenance. I sold it to a friend and it has 290k + on it now and still runs great,,, He said he still gets 28+ mpg highway.

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a---sold
Northstar Rebuild

Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2014 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We just got a 2006 Chry Crossfire, which really a Benze. I hope the parts won't cost me a fortune when I need any. But the wife always wanted one... besides, I got to ditch my 99 cirrus for her-now-mine 2008 lancer.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive had a few Mercedes Benz SLs, and 911 Porsches. It dont matter how old they are, the new parts are still Mercedes and Porsche and priced as such. Some examples, MB calipers were $250 each (my costs), headlites were $500 (glass lense euros). Good used MB V8 (70s-80s) are over $5000. Fuel pump in the box was $400. Fuel distributor $800 used. Ignition distributor $1,000.
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have owned a 328 and a 530 bmw and I will say that they were the best two cars that I have ever owned. I miss my 530. I wish I have never sold it on. I drove it till 229,000 mils and put zero dollars into it. If I did not have my challenger I would have another one for sure. The 328 ran great I sold it at 160,000 miles on it. Never put a dime into that as well. I had a 944 as well. Now that is a different story. Blew a half shaft then popped the clutch. Booth set me back a ton. 900 was the cost of the clutch plate alone. I ended up selling it do to the gas tank cracking and I did not want to drop another dime into it again. I will never own one again.
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I own a 95 MB C280. It's a nice quiet car with a smooth running I6 motor, but some repairs and parts are expensive. It took me two weeks to find the right belt tensioner and pulley, and then a couple of hundred bucks to have it bolted on. The radiator and power steering pump had to be removed to reach the mounting bolts. The car throws so many check engine codes which haven't been corrected by replacing the parts involved that I just ignore the light now.

My favorite repair is the replacement of the biodegradable wiring harness. The insulation on the wiring was made to break down leaving only the bare copper. What a great idea, Cost me $2400 to replace the harness. My wife loves the car though, and wouldn't let me send it to the junk yard. I thought this might explain the constant check engine lights but no luck there.

Before buying and of the high end cars I would look into the prices for parts, and read in the forums for that make make of car before buying. I didn't find out about the harness in the MB until I got the car.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had a few BMW 3-series, a BMW Z3 M Roadster, an Audi A3.

Currently our daily driver is a BMW 3 series E46 convertible. Bought it for $16k 4 years ago with 89k miles (it has 106k miles now). So far, we needed a new alternator, a new fuel pump, the oil pan gasket, new suspension and brakes, other than routine maintenance. I've also done some cosmetic upgrades. A nice looking and performing car and we like it!

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 11-03-2014).]

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnt671:

I own a 95 MB C280. It's a nice quiet car with a smooth running I6 motor, but some repairs and parts are expensive. It took me two weeks to find the right belt tensioner and pulley, and then a couple of hundred bucks to have it bolted on. The radiator and power steering pump had to be removed to reach the mounting bolts. The car throws so many check engine codes which haven't been corrected by replacing the parts involved that I just ignore the light now.

My favorite repair is the replacement of the biodegradable wiring harness. The insulation on the wiring was made to break down leaving only the bare copper. What a great idea, Cost me $2400 to replace the harness. My wife loves the car though, and wouldn't let me send it to the junk yard. I thought this might explain the constant check engine lights but no luck there.

Before buying and of the high end cars I would look into the prices for parts, and read in the forums for that make make of car before buying. I didn't find out about the harness in the MB until I got the car.

Yellowstone^^^^^^^^^^^^ had some of that bio-degradable wiring inside of his headlights that went bad.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

Yellowstone^^^^^^^^^^^^ had some of that bio-degradable wiring inside of his headlights that went bad.

Yes, forgot about that. The insulation of the wiring inside the headlight became brittle and broke. Haven't seen this on any other wiring in the car, though.
PFF
System Bot
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

Ever Own a BMW,Porche,Mercedies?

BTW, you managed to get two of the three brands in the thread title wrong...

Porsche
Mercedes-Benz

Oh, and Bayerische Motoren Werke

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 11-04-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2014 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see a lot of people who look at their incomes and bills and figure they can squeeze out the payment on one without knowing how much it costs to fix. First time something breaks, they park it because they cant afford to fix it and end up driving a 10 yr old Cavalier anyway. Just worked on a completely driveable BMW sedan that rear ended someone at maybe 10 mph. Just the headlites were almost $3,000 and the hood was $850.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I see a lot of people who look at their incomes and bills and figure they can squeeze out the payment on one without knowing how much it costs to fix. First time something breaks, they park it because they cant afford to fix it and end up driving a 10 yr old Cavalier anyway. Just worked on a completely driveable BMW sedan that rear ended someone at maybe 10 mph. Just the headlites were almost $3,000 and the hood was $850.

But the swag, think about the swag! :-)

But I agree with you. When we were deciding between an E46 M3 and a "normal" E46 convertible, I wanted the M3 (of course) but we went with the other one. If BMW parts are expensive, M-specific parts are INSANE!

On the other hand, if you buy your own parts, do whatever you can yourself and have a good mechanic (non-dealer), it's not too bad.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
traded my 2nd jeep away for a Mercedes c class.... biggest mistake of my life
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Older 300 SD and 200D are rocked solid. Well over 300K on mine, best looking and built IMO.
Parts weren't outrageous, cost of ownership vs service life was well worth it.

Too bad diesel isn't .99 a gallon anymore. You can always burn bio.....

[This message has been edited by mckaymotoworks (edited 11-13-2014).]

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 2000 E-46 BMW has been a great car and even though things do wear out it hasn't been any worse than any other car I've owned. Oil changes cost a little more but last 5000-6000 miles, coolant systems need more care but don't cost any more than the same year Pontiac plus the 28 miles to the gallon in pure comfort is awesome for a 328i plus if your use to working on Fieros, this car is a piece of cake to work on, I have zero complaints about it. Cost wise to buy is about the same as most other cars in the same condition, sometimes less! No cars last forever but if I could only have one car, this one would most likely be it. I do all my own work and shop around for parts, non M cars are way more affordable to drive everyday. By shopping around for parts you can keep the cost way down!

As for the other two I can't say. My father in law owns a Mercedes 400E and loves it.

[This message has been edited by BrittB (edited 12-09-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock