2003 CTS ATF fill issue by JetroGT
Started on: 07-25-2014 05:29 PM
Replies: 12 (284 views)
Last post by: carnut122 on 08-12-2014 08:33 PM
JetroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JetroGTSend a Private Message to JetroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My wife ran over a tire tread and damaged the trans cooler part of the radiator. The 90 degree fitting ripped out. So now that I have it all back together I'm having trouble filling the transmission. Every time I try to add ATF with the fluid pump, the ATF just get's pushed back out of the transmission. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2014 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you filling through a dip-stick tube or is it a tranny with a fill hole up underneath? If it has a fill hole, it should run out when it gets to the proper height. Have you run the motor and put it through the gears to make sure all of the "paths" are filled and then tried to put in the fluid?
JetroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2014 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JetroGTSend a Private Message to JetroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's what I did. This trans has a port on the drivers side. I removed the 6mm allen bolt then started the car in Park. Immediately oil was blown out of the port and I shut the engine down. I was told I should fill the trans with the transmission in park with the engine running. The fluid pump I am using is a weed sprayer pump that I modified to fill the trans. I pulled the brass tip off the sprayer and clipped the end. It fits very tight with the rubber O ring sealing the pump fitting around the port. So now that I have my pump rig in place I proceed to attempt filling the trans again. This time the transmission is pushing air back into my pump bottle, as I can see the bubbling ATF in there. The pump is under quite a bit of pressure and air is still being forced into the bottle.

Originally posted by carnut122:

Are you filling through a dip-stick tube or is it a tranny with a fill hole up underneath? If it has a fill hole, it should run out when it gets to the proper height. Have you run the motor and put it through the gears to make sure all of the "paths" are filled and then tried to put in the fluid?

[This message has been edited by JetroGT (edited 07-27-2014).]

carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2014 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JetroGT:

Here's what I did. This trans has a port on the drivers side. I removed the 6mm allen bolt then started the car in Park. Immediately oil was blown out of the port and I shut the engine down. I was told I should fill the trans with the transmission in park with the engine running. The fluid pump I am using is a weed sprayer pump that I modified to fill the trans. I pulled the brass tip off the sprayer and clipped the end. It fits very tight with the rubber O ring sealing the pump fitting around the port. So now that I have my pump rig in place I proceed to attempt filling the trans again. This time the transmission is pushing air back into my pump bottle, as I can see the bubbling ATF in there. The pump is under quite a bit of pressure and air is still being forced into the bottle.

It looks like you have it figured out(see link). With the engine running, the fluid level drops as the pump and valve body fills. Maybe that's why you had fluid coming out of the hole? Maybe if the car was started prior to accessing the fill hole, there wouldn't be an issue? If it was me, I'd start the car, remove the pump (plug), and pump fluid in until it ran out of that hole (indicating it was at the correct level). I'd then put the plug back in, wipe up/off the flammable fluid and I'd drive the car. The wife's 2012 CTS will need this in the future, so it's nice to know what I'll be dealing with.

http://www.cadillacforums.c...to-trans-refill.html
JetroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JetroGTSend a Private Message to JetroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

It looks like you have it figured out(see link). With the engine running, the fluid level drops as the pump and valve body fills. Maybe that's why you had fluid coming out of the hole? Maybe if the car was started prior to accessing the fill hole, there wouldn't be an issue? If it was me, I'd start the car, remove the pump (plug), and pump fluid in until it ran out of that hole (indicating it was at the correct level). I'd then put the plug back in, wipe up/off the flammable fluid and I'd drive the car. The wife's 2012 CTS will need this in the future, so it's nice to know what I'll be dealing with.

http://www.cadillacforums.c...to-trans-refill.html

I'll try it again this weekend. I'm close to having it towed to a transmission shop.
JetroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JetroGTSend a Private Message to JetroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did find a great write up on these transmissions. Ultra detailed tear down.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw...5l40-e-teardown.html
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did find a great write up on these transmissions. Ultra detailed tear down.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw...5l40-e-teardown.html

Nice write up. Now I want to see him put it back together.
JetroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JetroGTSend a Private Message to JetroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went down to a transmission shop and bothered them for awhile asking the techs questions about the trans. It's a 5L40E, origionally put in BMW's in 98. GM gets the old stuff. They informed me that I was accessing the pressure test port. This is because I followed a youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmSU_9ElEzo
Lesson learned. Don't beleve everything you see on youtube.
On ATSG they had a PDF laying out everything I needed to know about that trans. http://koti.mbnet.fi/pro-ht...tilaatikko/5L40E.pdf

I was not able to fill it this weekend. I got hit with a honey do project. 26'x25' patio.
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I went down to a transmission shop and bothered them for awhile asking the techs questions about the trans. It's a 5L40E, origionally put in BMW's in 98. GM gets the old stuff. They informed me that I was accessing the pressure test port. This is because I followed a youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmSU_9ElEzo
Lesson learned. Don't beleve everything you see on youtube.
On ATSG they had a PDF laying out everything I needed to know about that trans. http://koti.mbnet.fi/pro-ht...tilaatikko/5L40E.pdf

I was not able to fill it this weekend. I got hit with a honey do project. 26'x25' patio.

Glad you got it figured out. Did you pour the patio or was it some other materials?

edit: Oh pooh,,,that's the video I posted for you to look at. I'm glad you let me know not to do what he said to do.

ATSG makes some very good guides. I used one to rebuild the transmission in the wife's 82 Z-28. It was still working well when she sold the car a couple years later.

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 08-04-2014).]

JetroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2014 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JetroGTSend a Private Message to JetroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pouring QuickCrete into forms so I don't have to get a permit or get it inspected. First I rented this thing called a mantis XD to remove the grass. That tiller will beat up your fore arms. After I finish poruing all of my forms I can either pack the spaces between the forms with sand or dirt. I really want to go with brown or red colored concrete between them and put it around the edges.
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a pretty big patio. Sounds like it should be a good work-out. I'm surprised you have that level of bureaucracy there. We looked at moving there in 1990, but ended up down here instead. We like it a bit warmer in the winter, so GA is probably a better fit for us. Did you get the CTS done?
PFF
System Bot
JetroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JetroGTSend a Private Message to JetroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did get it mostly finished. I got it filled and went for a test drive. One of the cooler lines dropped off the the trans cooler and I dumped about two qts. on the highway. I was able to click the line back on and limp home. But more or less it's fixed.
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe you get some "closure," and be ready to tackle it again in another 10 years.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock