1996 Firebird--bad engine, lost keys by starlightcoupe
Started on: 07-22-2014 10:44 PM
Replies: 5 (149 views)
Last post by: pontiackid86 on 08-10-2014 01:59 AM
starlightcoupe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A fellow on craigslist has a '96 Firebird that he said has a bad engine--won't start. I asked what codes it threw and he said he didn't have keys or the ignition but had keys made at a dealership using the VIN number but the key wouldn't fit. This is the car: http://corvallis.craigslist.../ptd/4575903396.html

Since he can't turn the ignition, the car can't be moved other than with rollers. My 2008 Pontiac can't be started and the steering wheel can't be turned without the proper key. I assume in both instances, the VATS keeps it from being turned without the proper key. Am I right? I don't know if this is true but the guy selling the car said the Firebird has two sets of keys--one for the ignition and another for the doors and trunk. I asked if he had the fob and he said he didn't. I didn't ask the guy if he had a valid title but it sounds kind of fishy to me.

If a dealership can't make a key that will work, what is another solution?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 06:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
KINDA fishy?? Walk away, man.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I'd run FAR away from that. You can find running 4th gen LT1 Firebirds for not much more money than that. Compared to post-'98 LS1 cars, the LT1 cars have dropped in market quite a bit. I see them all day $3,500-$4,500 around me. I would pay a little more for one that doesn't have unknown engine or title issues.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 07-23-2014).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No keys, no title, no thanks.
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your replies. I wanted to flip the car after talking to him but the more I thought about it, I wondered if it was stolen.

I think Oregon has a three year statute of limitations on cars so you can steal a car, keep it in a barn for three years and go to DMV and get a clean title. At least that is my interpretation of the law. I heard about it on Lars Larson and couldn't believe it but my father in law, who has lived here all his life, verified it. That three year figure popped in my head last evening when I called the guy and he said he bought the car in AZ three years ago for a friend but the guy died and he has had it in his storage unit this whole time.

Again, thanks and I will walk away!!

Richard
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by starlightcoupe:

Thanks for your replies. I wanted to flip the car after talking to him but the more I thought about it, I wondered if it was stolen.

I think Oregon has a three year statute of limitations on cars so you can steal a car, keep it in a barn for three years and go to DMV and get a clean title. At least that is my interpretation of the law. I heard about it on Lars Larson and couldn't believe it but my father in law, who has lived here all his life, verified it. That three year figure popped in my head last evening when I called the guy and he said he bought the car in AZ three years ago for a friend but the guy died and he has had it in his storage unit this whole time.

Again, thanks and I will walk away!!

Richard

I don't know how true that is, most states see a vehicle as owned/registered property meaning some ones title is proof of there ownership even if the car should resurface 10 years from now, that statute pertains to petty theft not grand theft auto.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock