Used Tires ? by V8 Vega
Started on: 07-05-2014 11:33 PM
Replies: 3 (120 views)
Last post by: mmeyer86gt/gtp on 07-09-2014 05:03 PM
V8 Vega

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-05-2014 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8 VegaSend a Private Message to V8 VegaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The title of this is I Can Be So Dumb.
I bought my 87 Prelude Si in March 07, it had near new tires. One tire developed a bubble on the side some time ago and I live amongst the illegal aliens, there are Mexican tire shops all over. I bought a used tire as I would like to get one size bigger when I buy new tires and I wanted to get more use from the tires on it.
My car began to have a vibration at high speed on the freeway. I even jacked it up and looked the front tires over good and wiggled the wheels around and didn't see anything wrong. Never glanced at the rear tires, thats where the used one is.
Today on the freeway 12 miles from home I'm thinking the vibration is getting worse, then something flew off, I thought I had hit something I didn't see, then more stuff coming off and I got off the freeway.
The whole tread all the way around had come off, I'm driving on the casing of the tire. I made it home driving 40 MPH on surface streets.
I'll get another tire Monday.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing wrong with used tires. I've driven thousands of miles on tires I bought used especially back in my youth when I could afford either gas or tires, but not both. The only vehicle I probably wouldn't put a used tire on is a motorcycle and even then, I'd consider it under certain circumstances.
V8 Vega

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-07-2014 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8 VegaSend a Private Message to V8 VegaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When the tire tread came off on my 87 Prelude it bent the rear wheel inner fender wheel well sheet metal in the rear where it hangs down. I got that straightened out, it took awhile. Also the side of the rear bumper mounts here and I got that fixed. There was black in spots on the paint where the tread has hit, luckily no dents, I was able to wash that off. A couple of small spots required touch up paint which I had. I'm so lucky there wasn't a blowout and the chance for a wreck on the freeway.
At a tire store near me the 1st one I went to they has a good used tire my size for $25 so I got it. Can't beat that. At these Mexican tire stores $25 includes everything, tax, mounting, balancing, old tire disposal. You know to pay cash and no receipt. They always hop right to it, no waiting around.
So now I'm in good shape again.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2014 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
when and if i buy a used tire i make sure i look at the manufacture date on the tire before i get it. also look for heat cracking.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock