86 ramcharger HELP! by zetabird
Started on: 06-09-2014 08:18 AM
Replies: 42 (440 views)
Last post by: zetabird on 09-19-2014 03:35 PM
zetabird

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok so here it is i have an 86 ramcharger royal se, 2wd 360 v8 and it is kicking my ass.... overall the truck is really fairly nice for what it is but i cant get the thing to stay running, i joinind a ramcharger forum for help but thats slow going with more ridicule on my sentence structure than anything else really, i figured id throw this up here to seeing as you guys know like everything.
heres what i have posted over there on what its doing
ok here we go, so far here is what has been replaced, the distributor, cap, rotor and wires. the ignition control module and voltage regulator along with the ballast resistor are new along with the coil and the fuel pump.

I've also replaced the fuel lines from the tank to the motor and put a new fuel filter on it. i rebuilt the carb as well, tho it was doing the same thing with my known good eldlebrock on it.

what it does is i can drive the truck while its running. it idles a bit rough sometimes, most of the time it idles fine. but i can drive it about a half a mile or so and it will loose power and idle all the way down almost like someone has put there hand over the mouth of the carb choking it for air then immediately lets go and the engine revs back up to normal,

it does that a few times till it just dies, if i let the truck set for a minute or two i can fire it back up and drive little longer before it dose it again.
and heres a picture of the truck, it dosent help with the diagnosis but its just so shiny compared to everything else i own
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rust in the gas tank? It take awhile to clog up the bag and then when it settles back down you get a few more minutes out of it before re-clogging. But, that doesn't explain the revving prior to dieing(OTOH, my lawn mower and chain saw usually rev up as a last gasp before running out of gas). Take it for a spin, let it die, pull the air filter and see if there's any gas in the carb by opening up the choke butterflies and peering down the throat of the carb while giving the throttle linkage a good tug. Also check for spark by pulling one plug wire putting the cap onto the end of a #2 phillips and while holding the handle, create a gap between the metal shank and a ground (have somebody crank the engine). you'll be able to determine whether your issue is spark or fuel. I'm still voting on rust in the gas tank, so if it's near empty, I wouldn't be filling it up anytime soon. On a similar note, does the problem get worse as the tank empties?
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the tanks clean i made sure of that the first time i had it out and again when i replaced all of the fuel lines. and i dont mean it revs up on its own just back to whereever you have it while your driving. when it dies it still has fuel when you hit the accelerator pump so i really dont think its a fuel problem.
when it dies by the time i hop out and pull a plug wire it usualy will start back up on its own. i havent had anyone to give me a hand with it yet
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

zetabird

1303 posts
Member since Dec 2006
i had a stupid idea, if the battery is almost dead and the alternator slowly stops charging it would die as the coil loses charge correct? now can an alternator work untill it warms up then slowly crap out
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My next vote is for the pick-up coil in the bottom of the distributor. How much rust did you get out of the tank?

I keep forgetting to mention that your Ramcharger looks really good in the picture! I went deer hunting in the Rockies of Colorado back in 1976 in one of those. It was huge, but there was no doubt that whatever we got into, it was going to get us out of it.

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 06-09-2014).]

zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this one is 2wd but it will go wherever i need to , if i get it running. plastic gastank so veary little rust when i cleaned the tank out one of the 20 times ive had it off the truck, an dthe distruibutor is new it runs better with the new one but still dies out on me
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zetabird:

this one is 2wd but it will go wherever i need to , if i get it running. plastic gastank so veary little rust when i cleaned the tank out one of the 20 times ive had it off the truck, an dthe distruibutor is new it runs better with the new one but still dies out on me

Hmmmmmmmmmm????????????? I'll keep pondering. Does it have catalytic converters? Maybe they're clogged?

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 06-10-2014).]

zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it has two, the exhaust goes off the manifolds and has a tiny one on the driver side nothing on the pass untill after the two sides y together. the large cat is hollow i dont know about the little one i hit it with a hammer and it dosent sound like theres anything in it but not sure i thought about drilling a hole in it to check and plug welding it, the exhaust is in good shape i didnt want to hack it all up
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
last night i temporarily hotwired the coil to see if the coil was loosing power when it died but that didnt help, but it looks like the charging problem on the alternator was a broken wire so i need to cut the loom open to get into it mabey something going to the ICM is heating up and killing it
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

zetabird

1303 posts
Member since Dec 2006
oh and do any dodge gurus wanna take a shot at iding some of these

there the only non new electrical components
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

oh and do any dodge gurus wanna take a shot at iding some of these

there the only non new electrical components

I have no clue what those components are. Do you have a Haynes manual for the Ramcharger? Do you have another Ramcharger buddy close by? I bought my truck from a Honda mechanic that bought a non-running vehicle by taking a similar running vehicle with him and swapping components until he got it running. I wouldn't hack up the exhaust. Some have checked for plugged cats buy removing O2 sensors.
PFF
System Bot
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
truck dosent have 02s, the only emissions thing it has are the cats and an egr, there is one dodge guy i need to talk to localy but havent got a chance hes kinda reclusive. looks like thouse are all egr elated moduals dunno tho. and honestly every ignition component is new...
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coils get hot during use and can temporarily fail if they overheat.

How's your fuel pump? Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and watch what happens when it dies. Make sure the gauge stays on the outside of the truck in case it leaks. Did you replace the fuel filter? How's the strainer in the tank? Is the tank venting properly (drive it with the cap loose and see what happens)? Is the float bowl vent in the carb plugged? How's the needle and seat? Fuel line kinked anywhere? Any rust holes letting air into the fuel line? Vapor lock? Is the fuel line really close to the exhaust anywhere?

Can you tell I think it may be a fuel problem? Good luck.
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
its defintaly not a fuel problem that was my first thought, all fuel lines are new the caps been off for a while new fuel pump and filters the carbs freshly rebuilt and it was doing thins before and after that, it also did the same thing with my known good edlebroch off of my montecarlo on it. and the coils new aswell did the same with both
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ECM related? It warms up enough to go into closed loop mode and then it happens?
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
all it has that could be considered an ecm is the ignition control module but thats new as well, it was doing with the old one to
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clogged muffler? Maybe bad cat and muffler? Can you temporarily rig up some mufflers or straight pipes off of the manifolds to see if that clears it up? Maybe take them loose at the manifolds and blow compressed air through the tailpipe?
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i guess i could try something like that ill try to get the exhaust off it this next week sometime
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i guess i could try something like that ill try to get the exhaust off it this next week sometime

Maybe just where it meets up at the exhaust manifold(s)?
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ya ill see i need to pull it to change the driver side motor mount
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, what's the latest?
PFF
System Bot
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
havent had time this weekend to mess with it, hopfully ill be able to get into the wireing here this week. my stator parts for my dirtbike will be here prolly tormow and i have to solder thouse in so i should be in the mood for wiring
IROCTAFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2014 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IROCTAFIEROSend a Private Message to IROCTAFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best of luck. I had an 87 with the 360. it ran great in the winter and would crap out in the summer. fought with it for months. finally sold it. loved it when it worked and when i wasnt putting gas in it

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some thoughts
I guess I'd change the fuel filter again see if junk falls out. But you said fuel is clean.
Is the timing set correctly?
Change spark plugs too didnt see them listed.

So did you buy this thing not running?
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i bought it running kinda the timing was off but that was fixed and rechecked when i changed the dizzy, i got it from my dad becuse he couldnt change the motor mount and afford to put tires and stuff on it. i havent messed with it latly but i have a few more things to check on it this week end i hope

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yours is an 86 this was for an 89 so maybe the TBI stuff doesnt apply but maybe some ideas.

More Possibilities found online, some already stated
-a clogged EGR valve
- ig coils are notorious for failing under heat ... relocate your coil to the fender and get it some airflow.
-Clogged pcv ststem

-Coolant temp sensor. Or wiring to sensor
"there are two separate coolant sensors on the V-8s. One is for the gauge (in the intake front passenger side) and one is for the computer "

-Timing.
" symptoms sure sound alot like mine were when my timing was set 10* ATDC instead of 10* BTDC....on mine I had to unplug the coolant temp sensor on the drivers side to set it properly"

http://dodgeforum.com/forum...ies-when-warm-4.html

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-03-2014).]

zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
its carbed so no computer, and the coils new same thing as the old coil that was the first thing i thought of
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you get it fixed?
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
..... well i may have figured it out.... i hope at the same time if its what it was i feel retarded. i pulled the fuel filter wich was new off and put rubber line in its place and it seams to be running alot better... theres a valve in it that purges fuel into the return whe there is to much pressure... it was purging constently.... i hope update to come
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

..... well i may have figured it out.... i hope at the same time if its what it was i feel retarded. i pulled the fuel filter wich was new off and put rubber line in its place and it seams to be running alot better... theres a valve in it that purges fuel into the return whe there is to much pressure... it was purging constently.... i hope update to come

Congratulations! It sounds like a cheap/quick fix.
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ya still dosent help that i feel like a moron now lol, now to fix the electrical system... it runs at about 12 volts till you turn the headlights on the volt guage drops to 0 and everything starts flickering
PFF
System Bot
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ya still dosent help that i feel like a moron now lol, now to fix the electrical system... it runs at about 12 volts till you turn the headlights on the volt guage drops to 0 and everything starts flickering

At least you're to the point that it's worth chasing all of the small stuff. I have a 53 F100 that I completely built from the axles up. I still have a few small issues to track down, but I'm saving them for when I retire.
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
one of the techs at the shop i work at helped me test it yesterday, electrical diag is not my strong point, the diodes in the alt went out and fried the volt reg. new ones are under my desk Saturday im bringing it in and swaping them out, along with fixing any wires in the processes
Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so did you just leave that hose or replace the bypass?
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
right now the lines capped with a straight filter i had for another thing on it, i figure that return is important so i thought i should prolly get another factory filter
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok so mabey i was hasty its doing the same thing again....
KurtAKX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What happened to the Impala?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ok so mabey i was hasty its doing the same thing again....

So if better fuel flow helped it some.. perhaps it points to it still being a fuel problem.
Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok this is gonna sound weird drive around with the gas cap off see if it makes a difference. Maybe a vents not working or blocked off and you getting a vacuam.
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tried the cap its not vaporlocking like that, but i noticed the aux electric pump isnt working... im guessing its locked up and restrickitn now... gonna work on it now
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock