07 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe? by S-toon
Started on: 05-27-2014 04:42 PM
Replies: 5 (293 views)
Last post by: BabyEating Dingo on 06-02-2014 10:17 AM
S-toon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for S-toonSend a Private Message to S-toonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT Coupe 2.2L Auto Transmission.

My dad just recently got this car for my little sister as she just got her driving permit. It currently has 146K.

Trying to look online for info but figured I would try here as I have always had someone answer my questions when ever I had any for my Fiero and hopefully would be the same for this car from someone who knows these cars.

Ok so I have a few questions.

What temp is does the fan kick on?
Reading online it says that it supposed to kick on at 223f and the second fan at 230f, is this right?

What temp thermostat does it have, 195?

The car is running good nothing wrong with the temp, just trying to get some info.

But I am getting codes

P0700 -Transmission Control System Malfunction
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0700

and

P07041 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0741

The car runs great. If I erase the code and just drive around town it won't come back on. It will come on once I get on the freeway, and even then the car still feels good at 75 mph, no hiccups or anything.

Could it be the Torque converter clutch solenoid?

Can someone post a link DIY thread on how to replace it or how to fix this?

Thanks,

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Shade Tree Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shade Tree FieroSend a Private Message to Shade Tree FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The t stat is a 180 from the factory .
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shade Tree Fiero:

The t stat is a 180 from the factory .

Not to get into an argument, but I suspect the t-stat is probably 195 degrees. The fan temps sound about right, but might be a bit on the high side.
Shade Tree Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shade Tree FieroSend a Private Message to Shade Tree FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I own a 07 cobalt it has a 180 t stat . that is the one it is the one the book calls for.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shade Tree Fiero:

I own a 07 cobalt it has a 180 t stat . that is the one it is the one the book calls for.

OK- that works for me. Back in 1975 when all of the new cars had to have catalytic converters, they all switched from 180 degree t-stats to 190+. Since then, this is the first OEM 180 that I've heard of. I see that's what(180 degrees) OReiley's has listed for it. So much for my assumption. Since that is the case, maybe the fan kick-on might be a bit high (but it should be within the safe range).

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 05-30-2014).]

BabyEating Dingo

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyEating DingoSend a Private Message to BabyEating DingoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Confirming the fans come on around 220ºF. I had a 2005 Cobalt base model that I drove around for about 7 years... the cooling system is very well done on the Cobalt, I never had it get above about 225º, and when the fan comes on it drops to 190º within minutes.

As for the transmission codes... if I were you, the first thing I'd do is locate the transmission electric wiring harness under the hood and ensure all of the connections are clean and firmly connected. Then I'd trace each individual wire and make sure each wire is clean and the plastic insulation is in good shape.

Reason is, there's a lovely product out there called the B&M Shift+ . Basically, it's a pair of resistors on a switch that you can use to increase the hydraulic pressure of the automatic transmission. Gives you faster shifts at the expense of accelerated transmission wear. It was also extremely popular since a new one cost around $15. The most common screw-ups installing and removing the shift+ were that people tended to pull wires loose, or tap the wrong wires, or insulate the taps poorly. Both of those error codes could potentially be caused by loose or dirty wires. Especially if the guy you bought it from was a Cobalt enthusiast.

If the wires are fine after all, it may be the clutch solenoid.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock