Ford Lightning by bmac
Started on: 05-10-2014 03:18 AM
Replies: 15 (297 views)
Last post by: davylong86 on 06-12-2014 09:41 AM
bmac

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So guys I'm looking into getting a 2nd gen ford lightning. I made an offer and hopefully by Monday I'll know for sure. Any thoughts on this one or the truck in general?

http://lexington.craigslist.../ctd/4443859178.html

Brian
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking truck Brian.A buddy of mine had a red one and had to buy rear tires for it every year,lol.I say go for it,looks like it was well cared for.Good luck
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My brother has one...definitely not for the faint of heart...
bmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How are they reliability wise? I already have my fiero to keep my pockets empty. If I got one I'd need it as a daily driver.
Fadingaway

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FadingawaySend a Private Message to FadingawayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My dad has the four door Harley Davidson edition F150. Basically the same thing and man does that thing have nuts!!!! Reliability wise his has over 140k miles I believe and all that's took a crap is the fuel pump and the alternator since he's owned it. He complains about gas mileage though. Also, pray that you don't have to change the alternator. Ever.
bmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fadingaway:

My dad has the four door Harley Davidson edition F150. Basically the same thing and man does that thing have nuts!!!! Reliability wise his has over 140k miles I believe and all that's took a crap is the fuel pump and the alternator since he's owned it. He complains about gas mileage though. Also, pray that you don't have to change the alternator. Ever.

Yea I hear they are a blast to drive, and I still really need a truck bed. I figured theyd be pretty reliable since they are f150s, but a supercharger and all that is a bit intimidating. I can hear $ in my head lol. I know mpg is bad but my dd is a lifted 02 dodge ram that gets 13 if I drive it like an absolute baby so I don't think it can be much worse than that.

Brian

Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
for use as a truck? From what I hear to do anything truck with it you are going to need to do some helper setup on those springs. Its set up to handle not to well be a truck.
MacGyversMullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MacGyversMulletSend a Private Message to MacGyversMulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have owned one for years, have been in the Lightning community and I will give you the basic expertise!

To start out, they are quite reliable, and more so than many of the cars I have owned throughout my lifetime. My '99 has 165K miles on the clock and still runs like new. It was a daily driver for a long time, before it became a garage queen. You will average around 14-17mpg. Parts are fairly cheap, since a lot of things are shared with the other Ford lineup.

The weakest link on the trucks were the factory connecting rods, as they were forged powdered metal, while everything else was forged metal. With that said, the rods are great at stock power levels to around 450rwhp. The reason these rods break is because people will slap on larger crank pulleys for the supercharger and not tune them properly. If the engine leans out way to far on a modded truck, pop goes the rods. Also, racing it with the overdrive 4th gear in operation can break them too, as the 2-4 or the 4-2 shifts can cause the rods to stress...but this can hold true with a lot of cars. Just turn OD off when you want to gun it.

The early years, 99-00, had 360hp and 440tq, while the 01-04 had 380hp and 450tq, modified intake manifolds, a larger 90mm intake and lower final gearing. The early years also had a factory recall on the intercoolers, but most of these have been swapped out. The 03.5-04 had 8 thread cylinder heads (the 99-02 models had 4 thread heads, and if the spark plugs weren't properly torqued, the could pop out under load). So, the 03.5-04 models are the most sought after, but not necessary to own. The early models can easily be modded to create easy power and just properly install the spark plugs.

Besides all of that, the trucks are GREAT to own. It's a pure rush to drive a modded full sized truck that can do 10's to 12's in the 1/4 mile. You can get 12's with minimal mods and a good tune. The amount of torque from the line is ridiculous and will put a smile on your face every time

They are fairly easy to work on if you can turn a wrench. The supercharger can get in the way of things, but even that can be taken off in 30 minutes.

They look 1000 times better lowered a couple of inches and there are multiple ways of getting that accomplished.

You will get some nice comments from people who know what the trucks actually are. You will also surprise the heck out of corvette and porsche owners, which is always a bonus. Nothing like beating them with a "farm truck".

Contrary to what was said above, you can use them like a truck. They will tow 5,000 lbs and they have a payload of 800 pounds. I have hauled over 700 pounds without issues. Also, the alternator is much easier than the fiero alternator to change! That only takes about 20 minutes on these trucks.

That truck you linked to seems like a great buy, if it all checks out. That is a nice price for the mileage. If you want to spend a few grand more, you can get a fully built truck with well over 500rwhp. I would go that route, since building a built truck can get pricey on your own. Whatever you end up with, get it tuned with someone who knows these truck in your area, so you can romp on it with more peace of mind. If you live in a cold weather are, get a winter tune, as well as a summer tune!

Long story short, my Lightning has been the best vehicle I have owned, due to its uniqueness and capabilities. Plus, the sound of the supercharger is quite addicting

Any questions, just ask me!

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by MacGyversMullet (edited 05-21-2014).]

MacGyversMullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MacGyversMulletSend a Private Message to MacGyversMulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MacGyversMullet

71 posts
Member since Nov 2013
Upon closer inspection, that truck you listed has a couple of minor issues, if not a major one. There is some damage on the drivers side bedside panel, in front of the wheel. The problem with that is that it is made of fiberglass and those are tough to source sometimes. There are a couple of other body scrapes, , but the worst offender is the passenger side door gap. That gap is badly misaligned, and I would bet my life that the truck was in a major accident. Also, the tires look a little on the narrow side. Sometimes people throw on cheap tires, because they can't afford the big ones. And cheapness there usually means shortcuts elsewhere. The factory size was 295/45 R18, but those might be 20" replica wheels with "skinny" tires, but I can't tell from the pics.

Now I would actually steer away from that truck. There are much better examples out there! Look here:

http://www.lightningrodder....orumdisplay.php?f=21

Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heres the payload comparisons.
http://www.fordf150.net/specs/99tow.php
bmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MacGuyversMullett,

Thanks a lot for that detailed response. I joined lightning rodder and have been looking around on there for a while. I found this this http://www.lightningrodder....wthread.php?t=215497 . It looks heavily modded and that scares me because I don't know enough about the lightning to know good from potentially harmful mods. What do you think? Again thanks a lot. I keep telling myself I don't need a lightning but I can't drop it.

Brian
PFF
System Bot
bmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2014 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MacGyversMullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2014 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MacGyversMulletSend a Private Message to MacGyversMulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmac:

MacGuyversMullett,

Thanks a lot for that detailed response. I joined lightning rodder and have been looking around on there for a while. I found this this http://www.lightningrodder....wthread.php?t=215497 . It looks heavily modded and that scares me because I don't know enough about the lightning to know good from potentially harmful mods. What do you think? Again thanks a lot. I keep telling myself I don't need a lightning but I can't drop it.

Brian

That truck is at a decent price, but the pics are kind of crummy and there are no interior shots. It has an aftermarket Magnum Powers supercharger on it, which is a decent upgrade from the stock Eaton. It can handle more power, doesn't suffer from bad heat soak and has a higher power band up top. I would be hesitant about the 580rwhp claim on that setup, however. Better superchargers (Kenne Bell and Whipple) will make that power, but that is pushing it for a Magnum Powers. I would want to see a dyno and tune sheet from the seller. Also, he states that the bottom end of the engine is built, which is great, since the crappy stock rods are replaced by something forged. The new cylinder heads are a plus, but I would be guessing that his old heads either lifted or got warped from a bad tune. Maybe that is all sorted out now. Like I said, a tune sheet with solid air/fuel ratio numbers would help and if you don't have that, spend a $100 to get a base dyno tune and see where it's at. Again, some of this is speculation, but the lack of concrete info and better pictures makes the mind wonder. If the truck isn't trashy in person and it runs like a top, then it seems like a decent buy. you can basically see what you can get at this price range. The MINT built trucks start around $15,000.

I wouldn't worry about the broken bumper. You can fix that yourself. I did a writeup on fixing it and painting yourself, after a delivery truck broke my bumper and never paid me:

http://www.lightningrodder....owthread.php?t=49170

BTW, a 580rwhp Lighting is a beast. You will be beating most things on the road, minus sub 10 second cars. Anything over 450rwhp is nothing to mess with either. In both cases, they are very controllable. Just don't jam on the gas while taking a corner. My truck "only" does mid 12's in the 1/4, but I have a aftermarket valve body installed in the tranny (best cheap mod, btw) and it skips the tires in 3rd gear at 70mph. That will keep you awake, but nothing dangerous. Just keep the truck straight and you will be okay

Speaking of corners, these trucks are surprisingly great in the twisties. The stock skidpad lateral G's are around .87g's, so they do grip fairly well for a 4500lb brick.

MacGyversMullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2014 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MacGyversMulletSend a Private Message to MacGyversMulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MacGyversMullet

71 posts
Member since Nov 2013

Also found this one... http://www.lightningrodder....wthread.php?t=202049

That's a fair price for a virtually stock truck with 49K. Ha has the parts for higher HP mods, but you have to install them yourself and put more money into the truck for other mods. But it would be a good buy if you want a solid DD.
davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2014 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Also found this one... http://www.lightningrodder....wthread.php?t=202049

That looks like a good deal. You could fly out there and drive it back.If not keep hunting
davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Brian, just a bump to see if you found a racing truck yet?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock