99 Silverado not running right by crt454
Started on: 11-25-2013 08:59 PM
Replies: 13 (172 views)
Last post by: crt454 on 12-03-2013 08:45 PM
crt454

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crt454Send a Private Message to crt454Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like the title says, I have a 99 Silverado 5.3 that isn't running right. Since everyone here has been such great help with Fiero questions, I figured I would ask on this as well. Driving to work today my truck just lost power, still running, just wouldn't move (like the throttle wasn't working). I pulled over it was idling about 500 (usually idles around 1000), I tried to pull back on the road and it won't move under its own power, then dies. I started it back up and same thing. Changed the fuel filter, seemed to help a little, sometimes will idle at 1000 and can even rev up some, but when you try to move it starts bogging down and will drop to a 500 rpm idle. I also tried unhooking the MAF sensor and it didn't change anything. My next step was going to be to change the fuel pump, but I'm hesitant because it starts almost everytime, yet seems like it isn't getting enough fuel.
Hope that makes sense and thanks for the help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check fuel pressure. Could be a bad regulator or pump. The regulator is cheap and easy to replace (snaps into the fuel rail). The pump is expensive and a ***** (I pulled the bed on my 99 Silverado when I replaced it).

Anything ignition or electronics related would (should?) throw a code. The ECM doesn't read fuel pressure (as far as I know).
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it throwing any codes? I'm guessing a plugged catalytic converter.
crt454

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2013 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crt454Send a Private Message to crt454Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No codes, I was thinking that it was the fuel pump too, just hoping for something easier (I just filled the tank). Also, the truck won't even start now, every once in awhile it might after hitting the gas tank. Fuel pump has been ordered.
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2013 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a fuel pump to me. The pump went in my 02 Silverado in early Feb. It started giving some signs of low idle for a few days (and I just kinds ignored that) until it just does on me on the coldest day of the year. No codes or warning it just died gonig home from work. The pump lasted for 11 years and 180,000 miles

Rather than dropping the tank I lifted off the bed since I also had a full tank when it died. Really all it is is four bolts that hold the bad to the frame, a few screws/push rivits that hold on the filler neck and then disconnecting the wiring. After disconnecting all I did was hand a pulley from the roof of my garage.

As for the replacement pump I went to rockauto and purchase their recommeneded pump for $80 or so delivered. There are plety of $200-$250 pumps listed however I just decised to go cheap since this is a 11 year old high milage truck. On the older Silverados (99-03 I think) you need to cut off the end of the wiring harness and put on a different connector that is supplied.

From research it sound like a $700 -$900 job if you take it to a garage. For me it was $80 and about six hours of my life, or ~10% of taking it to a shop. Also that is six hours on time for a novice shade tree mechanic---I am not shop mechanic but I can do more than change a tire. I am sure a shop mechanic could kknock it out in half the time.

Hank
crt454

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2013 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crt454Send a Private Message to crt454Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking of pulling the bed as well, as I had just filled the tank the night before. Also, based on some reading around the web, almost everyone says the removing the bed is the easiest way to go about it.
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2013 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crt454:

I was thinking of pulling the bed as well, as I had just filled the tank the night before. Also, based on some reading around the web, almost everyone says the removing the bed is the easiest way to go about it.

That's what I've read, but you need to have a way of lifting it off and back on. If it takes 6 hours, to get this done, maybe you might want to test it for fuel pressure first. Harbor Freight sells the gauge kit for less than $20. Maybe Auto Zone will lend you one?

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 11-28-2013).]

crt454

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2013 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crt454Send a Private Message to crt454Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the fuel pump installed today. I didn't have anyone around to help me remove the bed so I just tilted it. I did this by removing the driver side bed bolts and only loosening the passenger side bolts. I then tilted the bed and braced it up in the air. The most difficult part of the job was wiring in the new connector for the pump (which wasn't bad at all). I must say, this seems much easier than dropping the tank, although it would be nicer to have the whole bed off. Thanks for your help!
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did it fix the problem?
crt454

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crt454Send a Private Message to crt454Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oops, guess I should have said that. Yes, it did fix the problem, truck runs great!
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tilting the bed sounds like a winner to me. How long did it take you?
PFF
System Bot
crt454

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crt454Send a Private Message to crt454Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably about two hours total start to finish. The longest part was actually figuring out how I was going to lift the bed and keep it safely propped up.
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like this?

crt454

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crt454Send a Private Message to crt454Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not near as shady as that, but I would have felt better with the bed being completely off. I did have multiple props in place for safety though.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock