Started on: 10-24-2013 09:43 PM
Replies: 13 (323 views)
Last post by: Khw on 11-20-2013 01:28 AM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The seat belt will not retract on my 89 Acura Integra. How do these mechanisms work? I am assuming they are similar on most vehicles. There was nothing in the Haynes manual. I'll be taking this panel off tomorrow and looking at it.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 10-24-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For clarification, these are not automatic seat belts. Just the normal type that suck back up into the body panel. They aren't sucking up anymore.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 11-09-2013).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007
I did some googling and couldn't find information on how to repair one, but a lot of people are saying a dealership has to repair them for free, by law, as long as nothing was modified or switched from stock. Any truth to this?

Jim
greaser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greaserSend a Private Message to greaserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cannot help with any vehicle specitfic info, but on some cars there is a plastic post in the door jam that locks the spool spring when the door is closed.
I have seen children drop coins or other such down the seatbelt slot and that can lock up the spool. A flashlite and needle nose pliers can fish these out.
The spring in the spool can break,

Not sure on the dealer lifetime seatbelt repair.
GreenPlatypus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GreenPlatypusSend a Private Message to GreenPlatypusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

I did some googling and couldn't find information on how to repair one, but a lot of people are saying a dealership has to repair them for free, by law, as long as nothing was modified or switched from stock. Any truth to this?

Jim

Only if it is the motorized seat belts. but you are at their mercy of what they can still get. I've had to put 2 different colored seat belts in a car to get it fixed. The color for the car was a special order, no longer made. So one belt was black, they other tan. Neither matched the interior of the car I think it took almost 2 years to have the correct ones manufactured out of the old belts. It's been awhile since I have seen that car, or worked at that dealer.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quick update. I got everything apart, and even took apart the pieces that were stamped "do not take apart" and the metal coil spring, (think lawn mower crank coil) inside the mechanism, had a kink in it. It is irreparable. A trip to the junkyard is in order. I was able to swap the passenger side for the driver side, so I can drive it in the mean time.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a post in the small hope somebody might be able to help. I need either a passenger or driver side front seat belt assembly, including the retracting mechanism. They are interchangeable, but this is not for the automatic system, that automatically engages when you close the door. It's a manual system, but the part, in the car wall, that sucks the slack up in the belt, is broke on mine. I need one from an 86-89 only. The 90 or later ones will not work. I have struck out at the junk yards, and cannot find anything, affordable, online, or at the dealer. (of course this is for the previous mentioned 89 Acura Integra)

Jim
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm planning a trip to the pick n pull this week. I'll see if they have any late 80's Integras and if they do and the belts work, I'll pull one for you. Do you know if any other maodels used the same one? Possibly a Prelude from the same time frame or an Accord?

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 11-05-2013).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

I'm planning a trip to the pick n pull this week. I'll see if they have any late 80's Integras and if they do and the belts work, I'll pull one for you. Do you know if any other maodels used the same one? Possibly a Prelude from the same time frame or an Accord?

I'm not sure because oddly enough, there was nothing older than 1990, made by Honda, in any of my yards. I am assuming that some of the 2nd Gen accords or civics might work, but honestly I just don't know. The 90 ones were similar, but bolted in differently. I might could modify, but I am not that confident in my skills on that.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 11-06-2013).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You have a PM and some photos in that PM.

Jim

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll send you a update later tonight when I get to my computer rather than my phone.
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll send you a update later tonight when I get to my computer rather than my phone.

Update received. Thank you very much. I love this forum.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 11-08-2013).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2013 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
most seatbelt systems have a hydraulic type stop to them in the event of an accident and when they go they are bad and cannot be repaired or replaced... I would check the bone yard for a new one...
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2013 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

most seatbelt systems have a hydraulic type stop to them in the event of an accident and when they go they are bad and cannot be repaired or replaced... I would check the bone yard for a new one...

He did, but his local yards didn't have any. It's all good now though, I found one at my local yard and pulled it for him. I sent it out UPS to him last Friday .

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock