Look Good to you? by Dburger
Started on: 09-25-2013 05:44 PM
Replies: 12 (875 views)
Last post by: Dburger on 10-02-2013 01:09 PM
Dburger

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-25-2013 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Proof that stanced cars can look good. Have had thoughts about getting a Fiero guinea pig and doing this. Sure I'd catch a crapload of flaming, but I like the look.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I were to get a sedan, I would totally go with the G8. It looks so aggressive.

------------------
-1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
*October 2, 2012
------------------

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Stanced". Never heard it called that before. I called it "jacked" or "jacked up". The only cars I think look good like that are some older muscle cars. Even some non-muscle cars looked good with bigs n littles. I had a '75 Ford Gran Torino with big 50s in the back and regular sized 70s up front (for those that remember when all 50 series rubber was fat and tall). The stance made you feel like you would fall forward out of the seat. Not a terribly comfortable way to ride (especially with air shocks...which didn't seem to absorb any shocks at all) but looked cool (long before "kewl") cruising down the strip.
Dburger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-25-2013 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

"Stanced". Never heard it called that before. I called it "jacked" or "jacked up". The only cars I think look good like that are some older muscle cars. Even some non-muscle cars looked good with bigs n littles. I had a '75 Ford Gran Torino with big 50s in the back and regular sized 70s up front (for those that remember when all 50 series rubber was fat and tall). The stance made you feel like you would fall forward out of the seat. Not a terribly comfortable way to ride (especially with air shocks...which didn't seem to absorb any shocks at all) but looked cool (long before "kewl") cruising down the strip.

It's normally called "stanced" or "hellaflush." I have a Gran Torino wagon myself, actually.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Jacked up" is not the same as the current stanced/hellaflush thing. Stanced is low (numerically) offset wide wheels with stretched tires and slammed suspension. Has nothing to do with the front/rear ride height or tire aspect ratio, though that could happen incidentally.

I personally like the stanced look, but man are cars that low rough to drive - getting stuck behind some hellaflush Jetta trying to get into a parking lot driveway is an exercise in frustration. Still, looks cool. Not sure if it's a good look for a Fiero, though - the cars that look best stanced out are sedans and some coupes. Not sure it's a good look for a sports cars. I guess Miatas and S2000s can pull it off, though, so who knows.

Dburger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-26-2013 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might look good on a Fiero since it does on MR2's

[This message has been edited by Dburger (edited 09-26-2013).]

Lunatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 06:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stance can even make an ugly Chevette look cool! LOL. In my opinion, all cars should come from the factory with nice stance. No more than a finger's gap between the top of the tire and the wheel well opening.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw a "stanced" 3.2 TL sedan on I-20 one morning, on the way to work.
All I could think was that it was a waste of an otherwise (previously) nice car.
It looked absurd. Looked like the sidewalls were only millimeters from certain doom, and it looked like it could "high center" on a painted crosswalk.
Tire life must be nearly non-existent. Of course, if it looks cool (at least in somebody's opinion) all of that is secondary.
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's the difference between stanced cars and lowered cars?
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915:

A functional suspension and tire life.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915:

Nothing really except the extent. Stanced is so low that there really isn't much if any suspension travel left. The tires have massive chamber problems usually also. Where as lowered can be anything from 1/2" to Stanced. However, usually lowered still retains some kind of suspension travel.

Personally, while stanced may look ok on some cars, I would never own one. I don't want to be replacing tires every 3 months... On top of that I have enough issues with arthritis in my neck, I don't need the car beating me up and making it worse.
PFF
System Bot
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Stanced" means pretty much no suspension travel left?
Perhaps they should just call it what it really is..."Bouncy Bounce".
Kit
Dburger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-02-2013 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a stanced Integra running around here with camber. It totally ruins the driveability of the car, but looks awesome. Some people describe it as a "lifestyle", but I think that's stretching it. (bad pun there)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock