Started on: 06-20-2013 12:18 PM
Replies: 11 (377 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 08-02-2013 06:33 AM
Russ544

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here ya go Ted, and anyone else interested. Since I haven't been hanging out here much for a few years, I've had to have something to keep me busy.
I sold my business and retired about a year ago, so it was time to start filling my bucket list

This is a 64 Corvette I found on Ebay in Pennsylvania a year or so ago. it had fallen off the owners single post service station lift onto it's right side, then rocked over and smacked a block wall with the windshield and several upper areas of the car. other than the extensive body damage, it was a driver car that needed a fair amount of TLC. I did the bodywork and paint, replaced the carpet and re-did the full interior, refurbished the dash and gauges, did the brakes, etc., etc., etc. I drive it quite a bit now, and it's a fun car, but will be for sale again when I tire of playing with it it has a nice warmed over late 60s 350, muncie close ratio 4 speed and 411 posi.

My current project is this 62 that I found in Washington state via a friend of mine. I've wanted a 62 since the days of the Rt. 66 tv series back in the early 60s, and my stars finally aligned last December. This car was also a "driver" but needed a ton of TLC as well. whoever had painted the car in the late 80s should be jailed for cruelty, as they had sprayed it with a dark blue, right over most of the rubber weatherstrip as well as things like the door locks etc. it had a 283 from a 64 Chevelle installed back in the 70s for some reason, so that's been the first thing to go. I found a wreaked 90 Vette with the L-98 tpi 350 and 6 speed ZF gearbox for cheep and extracted the engine and trans for this car. the ZF was quite a challenge, due to it's physical size, but it's all in now and drivable around the driveway. I've spent the past month or two straightening out some old, and poorly done, bodywork, plus repairing the numerous stress cracks that these early Vettes are known for. It's turned into a much bigger project that I first expected, but I'm hoping to have it done before summers end. this one I plan to keep for a wile (but don't tell my wife)

Cheerio,

Russ
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lovin' it! Gorgeous 64. Sounds like you had to make it that way though. Fine job you did!

62' is probably one of my favorite years. New backend, old frontend...nuff said. Wasn't the 283 what came in them? Or was the 327 available then, I really don't recall. I'm a little biased, as the 283 is one of my favorite engines. Not great for low end torque, but man you can really get a top end out of them. The one I built for my 1/4mi. 57' Chevy got shifted at 8500. Course it had been converted to a 4 bolt main first... (among "several" other mods... )

Russ, if you get the time and are inclined to do so, post your progress on this 62', as things progress, I really like a good Corvette build.

My apologies to Gokart as well, didn't mean to hijack his thread either. I did converse with him through a couple pm's, so hope he doesn't mind the interruption in his thread. Maybe it'll get back on track now.

Thanks for posting the pics, and as I said, would really like to see how things come together on the 62' if/when you have time.

HAGO!
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always thought 64 was the most outstanding year for overall good looking stuff. From Vettes to the full size offerings from Ford, GM, and Chrysler, 64 is tops. Never a Mopar fan, I loved the 64 Plymouth Sport Fury. I'd take an Olds from 64 anytime. It all went to hell in 65.

[This message has been edited by weaselbeak (edited 06-20-2013).]

Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sage:

Lovin' it! Gorgeous 64. Sounds like you had to make it that way though. Fine job you did!

62' is probably one of my favorite years. New backend, old frontend...nuff said. Wasn't the 283 what came in them? Or was the 327 available then, I really don't recall. I'm a little biased, as the 283 is one of my favorite engines. Not great for low end torque, but man you can really get a top end out of them. The one I built for my 1/4mi. 57' Chevy got shifted at 8500. Course it had been converted to a 4 bolt main first... (among "several" other mods... )

Russ, if you get the time and are inclined to do so, post your progress on this 62', as things progress, I really like a good Corvette build.

My apologies to Gokart as well, didn't mean to hijack his thread either. I did converse with him through a couple pm's, so hope he doesn't mind the interruption in his thread. Maybe it'll get back on track now.

Thanks for posting the pics, and as I said, would really like to see how things come together on the 62' if/when you have time.

HAGO!

The last year for 283 in Corvettes was 61. the 327 began in 62. I also had a 283 punched to 301 in a 55 Chevy 40 years ago. they are very fun and spin like crazy. I've always wanted to build a TPI motor, and this seemed like a good opportunity however I haven't been working on the car for a couple weeks now, as I've been a bit under the weather, but I do have an extensive build thread over on the Corvette forum if you care to watch.
http://forums.corvetteforum...-world-62-build.html

gota run. morelaterby

Russ
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Russ544

2136 posts
Member since Jun 2003
BTW Ted, The needs in Corvette fiberglass that I mentioned are not so much for the hand layed parts like Ecklers and others produce. wile those parts are fine for many guys needs, the place where a good glass man like yourself could really do well is in the high end restoration parts. those parts were originally press molded and would likely require a large investment to reproduce, like you said, however. but the guys who do the totally correct NCRS cars really don't care about the cost, they just want the parts to be built exactly like they were for the original factory parts. When you build a $200K+ car, a $1K hood isn't really any concern to the builder as long as it's "correct". if the original factory parts had a flaw in the mold, then that flaw had better be in your replacement part as well. the resin color needs to match the OEM parts, etc. etc.

We'll both be able to do all these things in our next life

Russ
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Russ544

2136 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by weaselbeak:

I always thought 64 was the most outstanding year for overall good looking stuff. From Vettes to the full size offerings from Ford, GM, and Chrysler, 64 is tops. Never a Mopar fan, I loved the 64 Plymouth Sport Fury. I'd take an Olds from 64 anytime. It all went to hell in 65.

Oh I duno. I'd say 69 was the last year for the really good cars. how can you not like a 68 or 69 SS 396 Chevelle or a 67 435 HP Vette. heck, I'd even take a 70-71 Challenger if someone gave me one. Plum crazy with a 340 and a 4 speed please.

Russ
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the link Russ. Turns out I've been a member over there for a while, just don't visit/post very often. Just looked at your build, and as usual, you don't miss a trick, cut any corners, or leave anything "that's good enough"! That's going to be a beautiful car when you're done with it.

I actually typed up a note over there, but lost the whole bit before I posted it, and I'm pretty beat up tonight, so will leave it at that and say thanks again, for hooking a bro up!

I'll be watching and waiting.

HAGO!
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I specialized in older Corvette restorations for years...many friends still have them. Most were NCRS cars that got Bloomington Gold. I learned all the tricks to make them look factory fresh, even with repo parts. I even found a way to duplicate the fender seams on C3s that show in the paint but you cant feel. Most shops block those till the line disappears and dont know any better. I even had paint stamps to mark firewalls and parts with OEM markings that were done at the factory. It helped at the time that my best friend was a regular judge for NCRS and knew what they looked for. I never had one of my paint jobs suspected as anything other than factory paint.
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a beautiful Vette. I have never owned one but if I did I would try to latch onto a 62 ....I like the quad headlights and the Stingray style rear end.

PS I grew up in Southern Oregon (Grants Pass)
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 92wastheyear:

That is a beautiful Vette. I have never owned one but if I did I would try to latch onto a 62 ....I like the quad headlights and the Stingray style rear end.

PS I grew up in Southern Oregon (Grants Pass)

Small world. I was born here in GP actually. did you go to school here? I moved away a few times but always came "home". I could live someplace for a month or so right now however. visibility is about 1/2 mile here at the moment, due to the heavy smoke of the forest fires. headache and sore throat is the reward for steeping outside the front door as well. YUK.
I've been staying in the shop doing color sanding of the 62. it's become Honduras Maroon.

Russ

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 07-31-2013).]

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Russ544:

Small world. I was born here in GP actually. did you go to school here? I moved away a few times but always came "home". I could live someplace for a month or so right now however. visibility is about 1/2 mile here at the moment, due to the heavy smoke of the forest fires. headache and sore throat is the reward for steeping outside the front door as well. YUK.
I've been staying in the shop doing color sanding of the 62. it's become Honduras Maroon.

Russ

Yeah I graduated from GPHS back in 80. My sister and mom still live in GP. I come down once or twice a year usually. In fact I was supposed to come down for a visit next week but with the fire I decided not to.

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I personally was always a fan of the pre stingray rear end. I liked the rounded rear end with the tail lights sunk in the fender tops. I never liked the flat rear with little round tail lights. To me, it just didnt have any style. It was like they had a flat panel and just stuck some trailer lights on it.

That is a nice looking 64 though, looks just like a good friends 64. His has black interior and white top.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 08-02-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock