2004 grand am passlock/wont start by indyfiero2m4
Started on: 05-06-2013 08:59 AM
Replies: 10 (924 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 05-31-2013 02:54 PM
indyfiero2m4

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2013 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for indyfiero2m4Send a Private Message to indyfiero2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,

My dad's 04 Grand Am 2.2 ecotec suddenly decided to not start on Saturday. I googled it and found out that the blinking security light while cranking meant the passlock system had been set off and we had to do the reset procedure.

Before I went to google, I thought maybe he needed new spark plugs, so I pulled the plug strip thing off the top of the engine and went to remove the plugs but none of my sockets would fit in the tapered holes(thanks GM!). So it put it all back together and tightened down the bolts.

We found the reset procedure. Put the key to on, waited 15 minutes for the security light to go out and then turned it off and back to start. It started up, ran really rough for about 2 seconds and then died. Now it wont start at all. We've tried probably 20-30 times to crank and fire but it just keeps turning over. It doesn't even sound like its got any compression at this point, but that may just be our paranoia setting in that this thing has finally given up the ghost.

While cranking the SES light stays solid, not sure if thats normal. Does anyone have any ideas on what to try next?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2013 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just double checking.... fuel pump running when you first turn the key on? Do you have enough gas in the tank?
indyfiero2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2013 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for indyfiero2m4Send a Private Message to indyfiero2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yessir, I can hear the hum of the fuel pump and the gauge reads more than a 1/4 tank. I can also hear what sounds like the fuel pressure "click" if I have the hood open when he turns the key to on. By that I mean I hear the hum of the fuel pump followed by a slight click as if it has built pressure.

[This message has been edited by indyfiero2m4 (edited 05-06-2013).]

agrabo85fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2013 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for agrabo85fieroSend a Private Message to agrabo85fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
indyfiero2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2013 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for indyfiero2m4Send a Private Message to indyfiero2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for that, I'll give that circuit a try. My security light isn't flashing anymore it just stays on solid in the on position now, so I'm not sure if that's problem anymore.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2013 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a problem like that on our 2000 Bonneville. I started unplugging the different sensors one at a time until it started. Ended up being the Mass Airflow Sensor. I ran with it unplugged while I had a new one sent to me. From what I read it being unplugged forces the system to run off a default fuel map, so my mileage suffered a bit until the new sensor arrived. Maybe try something like that?

Also, do you have a second key for it you can try? We had a second key made for the Bonneville when we first bought it and about a year later the security light started flashing like you said with that key and it wouldn't start the car. It would start with the key that cme with the car, but somehow the new key stopped working.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 05-06-2013).]

indyfiero2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for indyfiero2m4Send a Private Message to indyfiero2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright. We finally had time to try both relearn methods on the berger site. We also made the bypass circuit and that still didnt fix the problem.

When im cranking the SES light is on but the security light is off. But when in the on position the SES, security light and batt light are all on solid. The car cranks but wont fire up. I unplugged the maf/map sensor and still no luck. We tried spraying starter fluid in the intake and cranked for a while but it wouldnt do anything. I checked the fuel rails and they have fuel in them. When it cranks it sounds like its just spinning no audible compression noises.

Any ideas?
Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
can you give us some back story on how it was running before it stopped starting. I have an 04 cavalier that jumped timing an took out the valves. Same motor. Also you dont really need anything special to pull the plugs, a standard deep well (not a spark plug socket) and a long extension and the plugs come right out.
indyfiero2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for indyfiero2m4Send a Private Message to indyfiero2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sure. It was running fine as far as i know. It has almost 300,000 kms on it. My dad was driving, took it up town to the bank and when he returned and tried to start the car it would just crank with the security light flashing. Then we got it towed and found out about the reset procedure. After the reset the security light went out briefly, it started for about two seconds and ran really rough... then it died and hasnt started since.
indyfiero2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2013 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for indyfiero2m4Send a Private Message to indyfiero2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We still dont have a solution to this problem. We tried a Passlock Pro Bypass module last night and it still wouldn't start. We called the manufacturer of the module and they told us that the BCM is probably bad. I'm really hoping thats not the case. Is there any way to determine if the BCM is in fact the culprit? Is there a scan tool that might pick up on that? My obd-II simple reader just pulls engine codes and it isn't throwing any.

From what I've read replacing the BCM is costly since you have to have the dealer reprogram it.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2013 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it is the BCM, you can buy one from anywhere, install it and then have it programmed. It was about $30 to have my dealer program the one in my Aztek. Some accessories didn't work until it was programmed. Don't get a used one.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock