2013 Hyundai Genesis by 24k Gold SE
Started on: 02-07-2013 06:50 AM
Replies: 29 (782 views)
Last post by: pontiackid86 on 04-15-2013 02:00 AM
24k Gold SE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2013 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 24k Gold SEClick Here to visit 24k Gold SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to 24k Gold SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been a LONG time since I've been on here and too long since I've driven my Fiero! It's parked in the driveway with 77K miles. I purchased a used Mazda 3 about 2 years ago and traded that in, 10 months ago, for what was expected to be a very reliable 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T premium, automatic 8spd. I absolutely loved it when I bought it and still have some love left for it.

At 2k miles and 2 months old, the Genesis had it's first bad fuel pump. Thought it was a fluke and all would be wonderful after being replaced. After all, it's brand new!! Well, that one went bad the next day! Had to wait 2 weeks for the entire housing that was on back order (wonder why?... Dealer had to replace fuel pumps on 4 unpurchased cars on the lot). That worked, the noise is gone, although I'm still listening for it constantly. The fuel pump went bad in the Fiero, but it's pump was 20 YEARS old... It can go bad, it's OLD! Either way, I knew I could be left stranded like in the Fiero.

After the fuel pumps, at about 7K miles, there is a power steering/bearing/sounds like a Prius noise in the front. It's only when driving, specifically when accelerating. Does not have to have turbo boost. Starts at 1,100rpm and gets louder at higher rpms. Dealership told me it wasn't normal on the test drive. They flushed the power steering lines and told me it was gone. It wasn't....

Made a u-turn and returned it. The engineer was to be out the next day, he will look at it. Sounds great! He will surely find it, right?

He found the TURBO was leaking internally! Beautiful, that must be the noise. NOPE.... new turbo, same noise. The IDLER PULLEY was too loose, replaced that. I was lied to by the manager there that the noise was gone. It wasn't and the head tech told me that it wasn't, he had no idea why the manager lied and told me it was gone. Either way, didn't accept it and told them to fix it before it leaves me stranded in the bad neighborhood I work in (I'm a 26yr old female, I don't want to be stuck in my BRAND NEW car).

Engineer comes out again, tightens the pulley. Head tech told me as a "friend" that they found the area the noise is coming from (the transmission to crankshaft area) but he's "not at liberty to say more." That tells me there is MORE.... They tell me it's normal and file a greivance that I must pick up my car.

SOOOO... 23days in the shop for issues, 4 parts, and 5 loaner cars in 10 months of owning it!!! WOW... I think my Fiero was the more dependable car!!

I have a case going with Hyundai corporate. I am due to meet the regional manager, although the dealership, service manager, may have messed that up on purpose since he hates me. I did not want to do Lemon Law... I hope they don't push it to that point.

What would you all have to say about purchasing a brand new, 10 month old car with these problems?? I am well aware of problems in cars, but 2 fuel pumps, a turbo, idler pulley and they still can't tell me an issue??

------------------

24k Gold SE

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2013 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd say you got a lemon. Every maker has one occasionally. I'd look into the lemon laws and see about getting your money back.
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been there, done that!

I bought a new 1982 Mercury Cougar drove it a total of 3 weeks in 11 months. The dealership will lie, the regional manager will lie and the auto manufacture will lie to you. They want you to keep the lemon car. Use your states lemon law and get rid of the car as soon as you can. I had to get a lawyer involved before they would refund my money. Good luck!
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2013 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sounds like the dealer is the problem... along with this car. We have a dealership in town and they have great reviews.
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear of the trouble! It is terribly frustrating to shell out for a new car and have nothing but trouble!

Sounds to me like the car may be a lemon, but whether it is or not the dealer you are working with is just unable to properly diagnose and fix. Have you tried another dealer yet? Or has Hyundai corporate recommended it yet? That dealer is just throwing parts at it without knowing what is really wrong. I would definately take it elsewhere and get a second opinion.
24k Gold SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 24k Gold SEClick Here to visit 24k Gold SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to 24k Gold SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They haven't told me to take it anywhere else. I'm supposed to speak with the regional manager some time next week.

I did have a certified tech friend listen to the car. Without knowing any parts replaced, he said it's the turbo. That was replaced two weeks ago! My friend tech said that doesn't mean it was a good turbo out of the box. Which is very true when I think about it. I remember my dad ordering the axles for the Fiero and one was already bent out of the box.

Never thought a brand new car would give me more problems than the Fiero, lol! At least what went wrong in the Fiero was because of it's age!
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2013 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get real higher ups involved in the process. People are always eager to solve a problem when they're under a microscope.

That said, it sounds like a lemon and I wouldn't let them push anything that I didn't approve of. Stand firm on them fixing it the right way, for good - or tell them to buy it back. Though, this may be easier to accomplish if you tell them to keep it and buy you another car that isn't a piece of crap instead.

Gauge the reactions with the management - I would expect them to bend over backwards to right the problems. Negative press is a huge problem for any business and these folks know that. Best of luck with your car.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2013 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me add another vote for a Lemon Law complaint.
That's enough. Let them buy it back or give you another one.

I almost bought a Gen Coupe a while back.
Found this to be a fairly good forum.
http://www.gencoupe.com/
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2013 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump!

Ever get any satisfaction or resolution to this?
24k Gold SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2013 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 24k Gold SEClick Here to visit 24k Gold SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to 24k Gold SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not the only one complaining about this noise. On the GenCoupe forum a Hyundai tech that owns one is complaining it's not "normal".

It has to be the transmission b/c it does it between shifts in manual mode.

I finally get a meeting with the Hyundai regional manager Friday morning.

I don't know what it is, but I never remember having this much worry with the Fiero. (I miss driving it, it's just sitting in the driveway )

------------------

24k Gold SE

sargeants

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sargeantsSend a Private Message to sargeantsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This sucks to hear about.
Now I feel obligated to mention it to my co-worker who also has a 2013 Gen Coupe 2.0T

On the plus side - my 03 Elantra is still going strong at 265Kkms I know it doesn't help any... but I've also been screwed over by the dealership with an e-brake issue... never again!

Best of luck!
PFF
System Bot
24k Gold SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 24k Gold SEClick Here to visit 24k Gold SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to 24k Gold SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a video clip with the noise. My phone isn't the best at recording, but it's something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZEsSJg4u7M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The Regional Manager met with me to tell me that this noise is the normal noise a turbo charger makes once it's worn in. YEA RIGHT!

BTW - This is a brand new turbo in it right now, it's not worn in yet so how is it making the noise already??

Any opinions for the noise? My fiancee says a solenoid, my dad says torque converter or transmission... my brother says transmission.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's not a normal noise. Sounds like some kind of drivetrain problem, transmission, differential, etc. The Regional Manager is an idiot, or that's what he was told to say. Turbos don't make that sound.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2013 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bad carrier bearing?

Edit:
It does kind of sound like the differential that went bad in one of the company trucks - pinion bearing. That said, I don't know how the new transmissions work so it may be an internal problem with your gearbox.

[This message has been edited by skuzzbomer (edited 02-25-2013).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2013 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:
Sounds like some kind of drivetrain problem, transmission, differential, etc.

x2

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2013 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely not a turbo noise.
I have heard power steering pumps whine like that. Not to say that's what it is, though.
Since you posted that it cannot it be duplicated in neutral with the car parked, I'm going to say it's a powertrain noise, too.

Just a longshot... Make sure that it isn't electrical noise, coming through the radio speakers. I've heard something like that, too.
3.1 88FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2013 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.1 88FieroGTSend a Private Message to 3.1 88FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.beyondredline.com/

Get ahold of these guys they specialize in Genesis's. Great guys to deal with, this is where i took my fiero to get dyno tuned.
Fformula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2013 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep documents of everything. If I were you at this point, I would be researching lemon law requirements. If the regional manager is washing his hands, it sounds like Hyundai is not going to do anything further about it. I know I would not be accepting of that kind of noise in the driveline!
Racing_Master

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2013 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racing_MasterSend a Private Message to Racing_MasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have heard noises like that in the field. The most common causes are:
Power Steering Pump
AC Pulley Bearing
Transmission Fluid Pump

Because it's with engine RPMs, we can determine its pre-output shaft. we can also determine it's either in the input of the transmission, or in the engine. Dealers know NOTHING of diagnostics. A small repair shop can usually assist though they won't be free! :P. How I would go about finding the problem would be to remove the belts, and spin the pulleys by hand. Generally you can feel a bad bearing.

An easy at home test is to get a long screw driver, have someone inside the car, getting it to make the noise when at a standstill, and use the screw driver as a stethiscope, listening to various parts of the engine. if it's at a pulley, it's that pulley. if it's at the timing chain, it's internal engine timing chain guides. If it's at the bellhousing, it's transmission fluid pump. if it's middle of transmission, it's probably some bearing on the transmission input shaft.

Best of luck to you!
24k Gold SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2013 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 24k Gold SEClick Here to visit 24k Gold SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to 24k Gold SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thank all of you for the replies!

Not much of an update, but I called the dealership today... Honestly, I think they forgot about setting up the meeting with the engineer (or they want me to forget about it). They said that the regional manager has been in the hospital since the day after I met with him, 2 Friday's ago. Lovely! They will call the guy covering for him to find out about if a meeting has been set up or if it's in the works yet.

One thing I am glad for is that everyone (except the higher up people) agree that it's NOT a turbo sound.

Raydar - One of the first things I tried was turning off the radio system and the a/c to see if that got rid of the noise and neither changed it.

Racing_Master - Thanks for all the details! Idler pulley was replaced. Originally I was told that the engineer said to first replace the turbo (it was leaking internally), if that doesn't work replace the pulleyS (key being more than one, but they ended up only replacing the idler), and if that doesn't work replace the alternator. Makes me wonder about his "guessing games."

The only people I want touching this car is Hyundai... The second someone else works on it, they will blame it on that!

I forgot to mention that the 5th part replaced was an emission valve that got stuck in the up position. Engine light went on 2 days after I was forced to accept the car, Hyundai came over the speakers saying "Hyundai has found an issue with your engine, please drive to the closest dealership as soon as possible." Not too scary?! Haha! Took advantage of the free towing from Hyundai!! They TRIED to blame me saying that happened b/c the car was lowish on gas.

I loved the car, now I'm just tired of it. I just feel like Hyundai should have some responsibility to make it right in some way.
1985FieroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2013 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
8 speed transmission... I wonder if thats one of those dual-clutch types.... at least the ones in Fords are garbage and the clutches have to be replaced at like 60k miles...

I would lemon law it, and for the sake of all things good, get a manual transmission car!! stay far away from all of those dual clutch auto-manuals.... They're in all of the new Ford cars, European cars, Chevy cars, etc. Unless if you want to be replacing clutches every 60k miles....
PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2013 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 24k Gold SE:

I just feel like Hyundai should have some responsibility to make it right in some way.

Hyundai makes a big deal out of their 10 year/100000 mile drivetrain warranty - sounds like you should be covered by it. Try a different dealer (?)
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2013 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was this ever properly resolved?
24k Gold SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 24k Gold SEClick Here to visit 24k Gold SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to 24k Gold SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing resolved yet.. April Fool's Day I have a meeting with the engineer and the Regional Manager's boss. My Fiancee who is an engineer for cruise ship engines is going to speak with the engineer. I refuse to believe Hyundai's engineer will make himself look like an idiot to another engineer that walks inside turbos to fix them. I could be wrong though.

In the mean time though... I don't think I mentioned after I was forced to take it, the engine light went off 6 days later, back in Feb. The car announces it over the speakers, "Hyundai has detected an issue with your engine, please drive to the closest Hyundai dealership as soon as possible" Again, I'm 26 and female... going through and working in bad neighborhoods... I got to work and had it towed through their roadside program. They replaced the canister valve in emissions back then.

Last week, the engine light went off again. Same code... Emissions leak. This time it was there for 5 days, they replaced the purge valve and gas cap.

Sent a registered letter to Hyundai America's CEO (I know he most likely won't read it) and the dealership's owner. Used some of their quotes from their website that fit pretty well, "There's one thing missing from every Hyundai. Worry." Told them it's been in the shop 30 days and counting, 7 new parts, 7 loaner cars. That's an average of a new part and different loaner in less than 2 months. I've driven at least 310 miles to and from the dealership, not including any family member that has followed or met me there.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think that car was assembled by hungover workers on Monday morning.
Enough is a-freaking 'nough.
I'd be screaming "lemon law" for anyone who would listen, until it got replaced or you got your money back.

Get the local news stations involved. They live for stuff like this.

Sorry you're having so much trouble. The Gen Coupe is on my short list of "next car" shopping. But I won't be doing a 4 cylinder or an automatic.
24k Gold SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 24k Gold SEClick Here to visit 24k Gold SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to 24k Gold SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was assembled on Saturday :/

Met with a different regional manager and their engineer. Now they said it's the "characteristic sound of the 8spd auto." Can't they just pick a story and stick with it?? They also told me to lemon law it.

Anywho.... The CEO actually read my letter and had one of his people contact me on his behalf to solve my problems. I have to hand it to him that he actually read it! I'm going to see where this takes me. I loved the car and still look at other cars in my price range and just don't care for them. I'd like to think it's just my car that fell short.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 24k Gold SE:

They also told me to lemon law it.

There you go.
Sounds to me like they're admitting defeat.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Considering all the problems you've had and the way they've treated you, I sure as hell wouldn't be buying another Hyundai.

I'm looking at buying a Subaru BRZ in a few months, check it out, very similar car, lots of comparisons made online and by the motoring press. Or a 370Z.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2013 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Considering all the problems you've had and the way they've treated you, I sure as hell wouldn't be buying another Hyundai.

I'm looking at buying a Subaru BRZ in a few months, check it out...

A superb idea. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Subaru BRZ or Scion FR-S. They're essentially the same car.
(I saw a BRZ on the highway, the other day. Beautiful beyond words.)
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hop this isant a sign of things to come with my veloster.. 9000 miles and still kickin though. Sorry to hear about your bad luck

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock