Clutch fan to electric fan by Xyster
Started on: 01-23-2013 08:47 PM
Replies: 14 (217 views)
Last post by: goatvenom on 04-10-2013 01:47 PM
Xyster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2013 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking to replace a clutch fan with an electric unit. Does anyone have any tips or things to look for?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2013 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is it on? You'll need to run thick enough wire to power the fan. Use a relay that is kicked on by an adjustable temperature sensor. So, what else do you want to know?
Xyster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2013 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is an '06 H3 (3.5 I5) and the fan causes a notable vibration and loss of power when it engages. I would also like to be able to disable it if going through a deep river.

Thanks.
Purple86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2013 06:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's the little Hummer? What engine do you have in there? I think it's the Vortec 3500? If so, it's basicaly a Colorado, maybe you can use a fan off that?

I know in my Tracker, I removed the clutch fan for an electric fan for deep water crossing. The best bang for the buck fan (efficient moves lots of air) is the fan from the 90's Ford Taurus.

Cheers!
Xyster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2013 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Correct, it is closely related to the Colorado/Canyon. I was under the impression they were clutch fans too. This might end up being easier than expected.
carnut122

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2013 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xyster:

Correct, it is closely related to the Colorado/Canyon. I was under the impression they were clutch fans too. This might end up being easier than expected.

That sounds like the route to take. You can put a switch in between the power going to the relay to disable the fan, but you might want to put a lighted one in to remind you when it's in the corrrect position.
turboguy327

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Skip the switch. You let somebody take it to the store and it comes back blown because it overheated. Put a thermoswitch on it so its all automatic like stock. If the colorado in fact is electric the wiring may already be on your truck.
Xyster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2013 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I discovered that the other vehicles on the platform have clutch fans. But, I will try to use one of the spare slots in the fuse block.

Brand recommendations from anyone?
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2013 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As long as you understand that no electric fan can move the air of a mechanical fan. There was a reason they put a mechanical fan on there ... the electrics weren't enough. They would have used the electrics in the first place if they could.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 02-07-2013).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2013 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took the clutch fan assembly completely out of my Mercedes. I replace it with a spacer and mechanical fan. I left the electric fan in place in front of the radiator on a separate controller. I reallly dont trust clutch fans any more than I trust electric water pumps. They say the clutch type reduces power and makes more noise, but not that ive noticed.
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

As long as you understand that no electric fan can move the air of a mechanical fan. There was a reason they put a mechanical fan on there ... the electrics weren't enough. They would have used the electrics in the first place if they could.

At lower engine speeds your mechanical fan isn't capable of moving the air the a fixed high speed electric fan will. As vehicle speed increases it becomes not even relevant and your power sucking mechanical fan is a hindrance, thus the need for the clutch aspect.

PFF
System Bot
Kekipi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2013 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KekipiSend a Private Message to KekipiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

I don't know about that. The high powered Corvette has electric fans. I think if the clutch fan was that great GM would have figured a way to mount one.
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2013 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a kit for your H3. It seems highly recommended on the H3 forums.

http://www.pcmofnc.com/inde...ct_id=107&Itemid=106

You might want to read this though.

http://www.hummer4x4offroad...hread.php?3074-E-fan

[This message has been edited by craigsfiero2007 (edited 04-08-2013).]

Xyster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2013 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

Here is a kit for your H3. It seems highly recommended on the H3 forums.

http://www.pcmofnc.com/inde...ct_id=107&Itemid=106

You might want to read this though.

http://www.hummer4x4offroad...hread.php?3074-E-fan

Now I'm torn. The one person said it worked fine until the temp was in the 90s. Our entire summers here are in the 90s to 105 range. I just can't stand the vibration from the clutch fan.
Maybe I could just knock off a wheel weight? Then I wouldn't notice the engagement. j/k
On the other hand the 10 hp and mpg increase are tempting. (MPG increase for range increase, I am aware the fuel savings would never offset the investment cost)

I am going to have to continue to think about this for awhile. New tires are the priority right now.

Thanks for the help.

[This message has been edited by Xyster (edited 04-10-2013).]

goatvenom

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2013 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatvenomSend a Private Message to goatvenomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know its not the same but i removed the clutch and fan from my Dakota with a 3.9 and i have never had the engine get any warmer than it did previously did, the electric fan kicks on at the temp its required and cools my truck off. i have never noticed the mpg difference if there was one but it does have a tiny tiny bit more power but still not enough to justify taking it of for power reasons but it did reduce a massive amount of vibration and it doesn't sound like a bus or a dump truck during acceleration either now like it did.

I took my fan off in February and drove it all year with out the clutch and fan in place and never experienced any problems but i would recommend adding a electric fan in your case because of the higher temps in the summer.

that's my thoughts on the matter.

Ryan

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock