Started on: 01-04-2013 03:08 PM
Replies: 17 (129 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 01-12-2013 10:47 AM
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2013 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageClick Here to Email fierofoolSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a coolant temp sensor trouble code on the Sport Trac 4.0 L and the sensor's been replaced. How do you clear the trouble code and turn of the Check Engine light?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-04-2013 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go to your local auto parts store, and borrow their scanner. It will prompt you to erase the code. That is all.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2013 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageClick Here to Email fierofoolSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had it scanned at Advance yesterday. Went back today to get the CTS and asked them about clearing the codes and they said they couldn't. I'd have to go to a dealer. I'll check out another store and see what they can tell me. Thanks, Tony.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a trouble code reader ($39 I don't see that they still sell this one) from Harbor Freight that I use all of the time. At the end of displaying the trouble code(s) four times, it clears the code(s). You might want to add one to your toolbox?
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2013 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

I had it scanned at Advance yesterday. Went back today to get the CTS and asked them about clearing the codes and they said they couldn't. I'd have to go to a dealer. I'll check out another store and see what they can tell me. Thanks, Tony.

That I find odd? If I were closer, you could use my scan tool.

Just borrow their reader, or go to another big box parts store. Codes are cleared this way all the time. That is why I question their intelligence.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageClick Here to Email fierofoolSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to try another Advance store today.

Tom, is your scanner strictly OBD II? My Dodge truck was on the cusp with an OBD II that will display the trouble code in the odometer window like the OBD 1 by turning the key to the ON position 3 times . It doesn't define the trouble, though. Just the P number.
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasClick Here to visit Fiero Thomas's HomePageClick Here to Email Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No auto part store will delete the codes. This is against some law I was told. pep boys has a reader and clearer for 59.00. It works great with no issues. I bought it for my explorer and it works great.

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1997 BMW 328 1997 Explorer 4X4 XLT

FieroNews

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageClick Here to Email fierofoolSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, that's what I found out. Went to O'Reilly's and got them to read it. I asked them to clear and they said it's against the law. He said that if I repaired the problem, the trouble code would go away. I've already replaced the CTS and the light stayed on, so I bought a thermostat. We'll see if it goes away when I change it.
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasClick Here to visit Fiero Thomas's HomePageClick Here to Email Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The computer redoes itself I found about every 1000 miles driven on these cars, it runs the tests again at that time. If you want I can send you mine to clear it but I will need a deposit and shipping covered. I can send the deposit back when it gets back here.

Let me know
Tom
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageClick Here to Email fierofoolSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Thomas. I really appreciate the offer. After I change out the thermostat and drive it for a while, if it doesn't go away I might just take the wife on a little mountain ride and visit Carnut122 and see if he's home one day. He's been conspicuously absent from club meetings for a couple of years. Need to go shake his tree.
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks, Thomas. I really appreciate the offer. After I change out the thermostat and drive it for a while, if it doesn't go away I might just take the wife on a little mountain ride and visit Carnut122 and see if he's home one day. He's been conspicuously absent from club meetings for a couple of years. Need to go shake his tree.

Just give me a call ahead of time. I can even leave it sitting out the next time you're in the area. You can PM me for my #.

I just saw an add for HF. They have one on sale for $42.99 but it requires the coupon. It was in my Classic Trucks magazine. Yep, I feel guilty about not coming to meetings, but....
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageClick Here to Email fierofoolSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, Tom. I have your phone numbers. I got this truck so I could take the wife and the grand baby along with the wife's oxygen. She's been wanting to go for a ride, so maybe the next week or so, I'll give you a call on the weekend if the light doesn't go off.
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey, Tom. I have your phone numbers. I got this truck so I could take the wife and the grand baby along with the wife's oxygen. She's been wanting to go for a ride, so maybe the next week or so, I'll give you a call on the weekend if the light doesn't go off.

OK- I can also leave the reader in my car at work if you're in the area before 6:00 pm.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2013 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FYI... sometimes you can get these code readers/reset tools for $25 or so. I bought one and it works well for this type if job. No more running to the auto parts store just to see if the code is something important, or the typical EVAP notice.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2013 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageClick Here to Email fierofoolSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced both the thermostat and the temperature sensor. Now, the gauge is running at about half gauge where before it was only at 1/4. Just finished a trip of nearly 100 miles and the light's still on, so driving it after repair doesn't turn off the check engine light.

Jaskispyder, what brand scanner do you have? Might pick up one for any future codes.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2013 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageClick Here to Email fierofoolSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The service lady at the local Ford dealer told me that if I'd fixed the problem addressed by the trouble code, I could disconnect the battery for 10 minutes. It would turn off the light but it wouldn't run very well for a while and fuel economy would suffer until the computer reset all it's information. Or I could just drive the vehicle and the light would eventually go away. She said it was based on a combination of miles driven and number of starts, during which the ECM doesn't see the problem. She said that even though the light turns off, and the problem is repaired, that the trouble code would remain there forever as a history of the vehicle.

Had to take the wife to her pulmonary therapy this morning and after stopping to get fuel, got back in and the check engine light had gone out on its own. I've probably put several hundred miles on it.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
basically, I have one like this.
http://www.amazon.com/Autel...stic+scan+tool+obd+2

$20 shipped if you have amazon prime.

I had to download an update from the web, so it would see the vehicle as an Aztek, even though it would still read/reset the code without the update.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageClick Here to Email fierofoolSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like that. Thanks. I also looked at the INNOVA scanner on that link and am considering it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock