Started on: 08-02-2012 11:22 PM
Replies: 7 (714 views)
Last post by: jimbolaya on 08-30-2012 04:53 PM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2012 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My wife had the ABS light turn on while she was driving home tonight. She said it stayed on the whole way home. I just got home from work and checked for codes, and got none, and the light is no longer on. Do ABS problems throw codes? If not, what could have caused the light to come on, and where should I start looking. The only thing else I have checked is the brake fluid, and it is not low. Hey, I would have done more, but it is after 11PM after all.

Jim
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-03-2012 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How are the pads? Our A6 had that issue, and it turned out to be in need of pads. NOT SURE about your vehicle, but many have a sensor to judge pad depth.

Our car threw no codes either.

Good luck,

Tony
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2012 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

How are the pads? Our A6 had that issue, and it turned out to be in need of pads. NOT SURE about your vehicle, but many have a sensor to judge pad depth.

Our car threw no codes either.

Good luck,

Tony

I'll check that. The van just passed inspection last month, and my inspection guy is usually pretty good about telling me if my pads are going to need replaced before the next inspection, and he mentioned nothing. But hey, maybe he forgot to say something. Ill give it a looksie.

Jim

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2012 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to make light of a brake issue, but I'd wait to see if it came on again before worrying about it. ABS lights mean that the ABS has an issue, but your brakes should still function as non-ABS brakes if there is an issue. Now, if the red "brake" light comes on, that's more serious. You may have had a one-time issue that may never ever repeat-or maybe not.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2012 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

Not to make light of a brake issue, but I'd wait to see if it came on again before worrying about it. ABS lights mean that the ABS has an issue, but your brakes should still function as non-ABS brakes if there is an issue. Now, if the red "brake" light comes on, that's more serious. You may have had a one-time issue that may never ever repeat-or maybe not.

This actually may be great advice, and the correct answer. I went on vacation, and the van sat at home, but I drove it a short distance before leaving, and a little today after coming back, and the light has not come back on. I think I'm good at the moment. I looked in the manual, and there is a distinct difference between the ABS light and the brake light.

Jim

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2012 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update. I did some more reading, and gave it a closer inspection. Upon looking I discovered my CV axle boot had slipped off and sprayed grease all every everything, including the teeth that the ABS sensor reads. What was happening was the sensor could not get an accurate reading because of the grease. In reality the ABS sensor saved me a CV axle, since I was able to re-secure the boot and add grease before any damage happened to the axle.

Jim
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2012 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

Update. I did some more reading, and gave it a closer inspection. Upon looking I discovered my CV axle boot had slipped off and sprayed grease all every everything, including the teeth that the ABS sensor reads. What was happening was the sensor could not get an accurate reading because of the grease. In reality the ABS sensor saved me a CV axle, since I was able to re-secure the boot and add grease before any damage happened to the axle.

Jim

Shhhh.... there are ABS haters on this forum

BTW, a standard ODBII code reader won't read ABS. I have an ABS reader for the Aztek... it was something like $60. Cheaper than taking it to a shop (usually one of the sensor wires break).
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2012 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

BTW, a standard ODBII code reader won't read ABS.

I discovered that.

Jim

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock