led tail lights by jdv
Started on: 04-21-2022 05:59 PM
Replies: 11 (471 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 05-02-2022 01:05 PM
jdv

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2022 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jdvSend a Private Message to jdvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone put blue dot led's in there tail lights? I think this would look cool.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2022 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No clue want you mean...

If based on history...
Can trace Blue/Purple "Gems" in/on taillights back to 1950's and older.
In many places cause problems w/ cops stopping you.

Police stop a lot of cars for Decades for illegal external lights...
Example: In some places Many turn on whatever lights in a parking lot top make a show and don't turn off before leaving and cops stop w/in yards driving on street.

In many places just that can get you ticketed as "Equipment Violation" but In some places they add Points too. Any Points can cause Insurance Bill to Grow.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2022 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would stick to red you still want people to actually realize that it means to stop as you are braking rather than finding out person behind didn't see any red brake light because blue now means stop for first time ever.
OldGuyinaGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2022 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldGuyinaGTSend a Private Message to OldGuyinaGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well the "blue dot" additions aren't going to make the brake lights look not red (but they will change the apparent color from some distance.

While they're not my personal cup of tea, I do not understand why any police would have an issue with them. Here in CO I see them with some low frequency (haven't seen any on a Fiero, but other cars and some motorcycles). I don't know of anyone who's been stopped for them.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2022 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Police stop a lot of cars for Decades for illegal external lights...

Yep. I had installed a set of the lights below on the front of my Subie in place of the fog lights. They were on there for almost five years before some highway patrol dick pulled me over and ticketed me. And why? Because they have a slight bluish tinge to them. Apparently, only white or yellow lights are allowed on the front of a non-emergency vehicle.

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2022 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
Yep. I had installed a set of the lights below on the front of my Subie in place of the fog lights. They were on there for almost five years before some highway patrol dick pulled me over and ticketed me. And why? Because they have a slight bluish tinge to them. Apparently, only white or yellow lights are allowed on the front of a non-emergency vehicle.
Yes White and Yellow/Amber in front. Even then States have different rules for Aftermarket and OE Fog and Driving lights that many get stopped. Most require Low Beam HL On w/ either And have to mount them lower than bumper height nearly everyplace. Some will ticket w/ them On w/out bad weather needing them. Not sure if some areas still ban them outright.

Part of why my Cave HL page have sub-page for Fog/Driving lights that only On when Low Beam HL is On too for people adding them to Fiero etc. never had OE units.

HL and Taillight Covers and more are also illegal.
Many put aftermarket covers or cutouts (Like Ram Logo cutouts) over taillights like guy work near me and worse drive there from another state and get stopped locally then whine at work... "Boss" that was a retired LEO tried not to laugh at him. Was fun to watch "Picard Face Palm" in real time and knowing why and try do to laugh too.

Side Note: Even color lights flashing or not for "emergency" groups are regulated in most places. Example: VFD in Upstate NY allows (or did in past) firemen to have flashers, often Green ones, in private cars but not in many other states. Some states don't give Sheriffs any Police Powers including any flashing lights.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2022 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Google blue headlight bulbs and you'll see lots of options available. Legality may vary depending on location...
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2022 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These would be legal and they just fit right into the OEM socket.

They light up a bright white and use less power. You may just have to replace your flasher with a solid state model. All and all this is a very easy upgrade.

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 04-30-2022).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2022 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
These would be legal and they just fit right into the OEM socket.
Fit doesn't mater.
NHTSA Has Not "Approved" that or any other LED and thus many US states and even other Countries replacing standard tungsten bulbs for External Lamps with Any LED Is Not Legal.

Any "Bright White" often means "Cool White" and Color Temp above 4000°K mean the "Bulb" fails just for that. Plus LEDs Can't Focus same as OE bulb and Fixtures goes into won't work right too.

Is why many companies sell LED under "Off Road Use Only" and related crap. Same BS when TFS states "Check Local Laws" Knowing most won't and if they try is very hard to impossible in many places.

Worse, Many LED have "Canbus error free" resistors built in that Make a lot of Heat and Eat Power often same as OE bulbs.

Only Some LED HL bulb are Legal in most places like Trucklite units because have Valid DOT and/or ECE markings and tested for whatever region.
Some places even they are illegal but most cops inspectors etc won't care if they Right DOT/ECE markings.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2022 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fit doesn't mater.
NHTSA Has Not "Approved" that or any other LED and thus many US states and even other Countries replacing standard tungsten bulbs for External Lamps with Any LED Is Not Legal.

Any "Bright White" often means "Cool White" and Color Temp above 4000°K mean the "Bulb" fails just for that. Plus LEDs Can't Focus same as OE bulb and Fixtures goes into won't work right too.

Is why many companies sell LED under "Off Road Use Only" and related crap. Same BS when TFS states "Check Local Laws" Knowing most won't and if they try is very hard to impossible in many places.

Worse, Many LED have "Canbus error free" resistors built in that Make a lot of Heat and Eat Power often same as OE bulbs.

Only Some LED HL bulb are Legal in most places like Trucklite units because have Valid DOT and/or ECE markings and tested for whatever region.
Some places even they are illegal but most cops inspectors etc won't care if they Right DOT/ECE markings.

Do you believe that someone is going to remove your tail light housings and look inside at the bulbs? . Not going to happen. I run these LED lamps and they are somewhat brighter than the 1157 bulbs. This all sounds like a completely manufactured a problem when there is none. Furthermore all new vehicles use LED tail lights and these LED's also look stock.. There is no problem.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 05-01-2022).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2022 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
Do you believe that someone is going to remove your tail light housings and look inside at the bulbs? . Not going to happen. I run these LED lamps and they are somewhat brighter than the 1157 bulbs. This all sounds like a completely manufactured a problem when there is none. Furthermore all new vehicles use LED tail lights and these LED's also look stock.. There is no problem.
ooo you claim looks like stock... yet likely didn't even bother trying to do any brightness test or even clean/fix the internals of fixtures making the Taillights "dim."

1. In most places can simply Fail or Ticket you for the iffy lights because are too bright or dim or cause glare or have wrong color. Before LED Many use Halogen and other "Brighter" bulbs w/ high color temp causing same problem or melt/burn the fixtures. Plus hotter bulbs often have a Very Short Life even w/o other problems. 2357 (Often sold by RD etc. as light "upgrade.") has way shorter life then 1157 or 2057 and just die for that and can generate a Fail/Ticket.

2. OE LED for newer vehicles Do Not have Replaceable LED. These are "DOT Approved" Only for a specific vehicle at a Lab Certified by USDOT/NHTSA.
These LEDs are Built Into One Unit and Not Serviceable even by Dealers. Same construction for OE LED 3rd Brake light for Decades now. Worse Often you have pull out trim like pulling Fiero B pillar Speakers that eats Time that you pay in Labor Cost on top of High $ Part Cost.

3. But LED last way longer... Sadly this is often a No even for OEM units in New cars. "Best" LEDs are often Built to Cost not long life because manufacturing to shave pennies or less per unit. Aftermarket parts more so in most cases. This Is Why Prius and a lot more have part dead LED Taillights etc. Even at Home many LED are "over driven" to slice number on LED chips per "bulb" to make and sell at razor thin margin. This is why most CFL sucked and failed fast and now mostly gone from everywhere. Good CFL did exist but can't compete on price.

Even if you find ones built for long life, the fixtures often don't move enough air to cool them or air is hot to start then LED chips and other parts on/in them still cook and die. Is why many enclosed fixtures for home cooked CFL and now LED.
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2022 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
ooo you claim looks like stock... yet likely didn't even bother trying to do any brightness test or even clean/fix the internals of fixtures making the Taillights "dim."

1. In most places can simply Fail or Ticket you for the iffy lights because are too bright or dim or cause glare or have wrong color. Before LED Many use Halogen and other "Brighter" bulbs w/ high color temp causing same problem or melt/burn the fixtures. Plus hotter bulbs often have a Very Short Life even w/o other problems. 2357 (Often sold by RD etc. as light "upgrade.") has way shorter life then 1157 or 2057 and just die for that and can generate a Fail/Ticket.

2. OE LED for newer vehicles Do Not have Replaceable LED. These are "DOT Approved" Only for a specific vehicle at a Lab Certified by USDOT/NHTSA.
These LEDs are Built Into One Unit and Not Serviceable even by Dealers. Same construction for OE LED 3rd Brake light for Decades now. Worse Often you have pull out trim like pulling Fiero B pillar Speakers that eats Time that you pay in Labor Cost on top of High $ Part Cost.

3. But LED last way longer... Sadly this is often a No even for OEM units in New cars. "Best" LEDs are often Built to Cost not long life because manufacturing to shave pennies or less per unit. Aftermarket parts more so in most cases. This Is Why Prius and a lot more have part dead LED Taillights etc. Even at Home many LED are "over driven" to slice number on LED chips per "bulb" to make and sell at razor thin margin. This is why most CFL sucked and failed fast and now mostly gone from everywhere. Good CFL did exist but can't compete on price.

Even if you find ones built for long life, the fixtures often don't move enough air to cool them or air is hot to start then LED chips and other parts on/in them still cook and die. Is why many enclosed fixtures for home cooked CFL and now LED.[/QUOTE]

The direct plug in COB LED tail lights are brighter to the eye test but don't appear to be drastic in light output. They run cool. I guess you could say that my Corvette light panel is also not DOT approved but it doesn't seem to bother law enforcement. I run a classic car that is exempt from state inspections. The short of it is that as long as you are not using lights with a blinding output like the Chinese headlights, I believe that what I am doing is within reason and won't be noticed.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock