Purchasing Fiero over internet by Cajun
Started on: 02-27-2021 09:44 PM
Replies: 29 (603 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 03-04-2021 08:12 PM
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2021 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need some help from the Fiero community!

I am attempting to purchase a 88 Fiero over the internet thru a brokerage/shipping firm by the name of " Apex Freight Division " out of Colorado.

Has anyone heard of this establishment?

[This message has been edited by Cajun (edited 02-27-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2021 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have purchased a fiero site unseen and are using the Apex company to pick it up and ship it?
Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, that's the story! I do have over 30 photos of the vehicle. The car looks too good to be true?

Oh, if I reject the car no money changes hand. I have 10 days to reject the car.
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might want to do a few things to help you with this sale.

1. Post photos
2. Have someone in Colorado check out the car in person.

I've had a few forum members check out a car & truck that I ended up buying & I've done it for a forum member also.

The Fiero I checked out, turned out having a few problems that were not disclosed. I test drove it, while on the drive I contacted the the potential buyer, told him what I'd found. We decided it was not worth the offer price.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely have someone look at the car in person.
It wouldn't be the first time someone used pictures that where years old to hide the current condition of the car from an out of state seller to maximize the price, then disappear into the wind once they have the $$$.

If nothing else, find a local repair shop and pay them to review the car and send you pictures of the current condition.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

It wouldn't be the first time someone used pictures that where years old to hide the current condition of the car from an out of state seller to maximize the price,

Agreed. Not saying the seller is an outright crook, but it's easy NOT to take pictures of the problem areas.

Cajun - you have a PM.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-28-2021).]

sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do a Carfax on the VIN. I also agree with the above idea of having a local person or mechanic look at it in person. Even if they charge a fee, it would be well worth it.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cajun:

Yep, that's the story! I do have over 30 photos of the vehicle. The car looks too good to be true?

Oh, if I reject the car no money changes hand. I have 10 days to reject the car.

A seller will ship a legal car to you, you have 10 days to decide if you want to keep it and if not it will be shipped back to the seller all at no cost to you? Hmmm... I don't think any seller will do that.

Years ago just for fun, I emailed a "seller" about an antique car offered in a similar manner to arrange for a friend to see the car. The email trail went really cold really fast.

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 02-28-2021).]

Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-28-2021 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:
It wouldn't be the first time someone used pictures that where years old to hide the current condition of the car from an out of state seller to maximize the price, then disappear into the wind once they have the $$$.

If nothing else, find a local repair shop and pay them to review the car and send you pictures of the current condition.

Being two states away, I didn't know anyone so I had a classic shop, 10 minutes away from the seller, to review the car I was about to purchase.

Guess what they did?

They tried to buy the car behind my back. I was pretty pissed. They said they are allowed. I disagree b/c I was using their service, which is a conflict of interests. Jeez!

But they did a good job with the review & showed me a lot of pics for $50. My offer had to be $500 more than theirs.

Bottom line is don't trust anyone when it comes to a rare gem.

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 02-28-2021).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you saying that you aren't paying anything prior to the car being shipped to your door? That's highly doubtful.

If you do indeed need to pay anything prior to the car supposedly being shipped, don't expect to ever see your money again... and no car will be delivered to anyone.

I'm sorry, but this whole scenario is so bogus. This sounds just like a scam that I had heard about years ago.

Escrow scams

Many consumers are rightfully wary of sending large amounts of money to someone theyā€™ve never met. Scammer frequently recommend the use of fake ā€œescrowā€ services that will hold funds involved in the transaction until both parties are satisfied that the transaction has been completed.

In a typical scam, a legitimate buyer will be approached by a scammer selling a car (again, often an exotic or classic car, but usually priced well below market value). The scam seller will offer to ship the car and that there is no risk of fraud due to the ā€œescrowā€ service (purportedly eBay, PayPal, or another service). Once the money is transferred, contact is broken (or sometimes additional funds are requested to cover ā€œunforeseenā€ events).

In any case, the legitimate buyer never receives a car and loses their money.

I do have over 30 photos of the vehicle. The car looks too good to be true?

It is too good to be true. I certainly hope you haven't sent any money.

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

A seller will ship a legal car to you, you have 10 days to decide if you want to keep it and if not it will be shipped back to the seller all at no cost to you? Hmmm... I don't think any seller will do that.

Years ago just for fun, I emailed a "seller" about an antique car offered in a similar manner to arrange for a friend to see the car. The email trail went really cold really fast.

David, it's amazing that anyone would actually fall for this nonsense.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-28-2021).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I were to buy a car over the internet I would first ask those that have seen the car in person and those that can supply information about it and their pictures. A friend of mine sold an outstanding 88 Formula on eBay to a guy out west. . When the buyer asked for a reference he gave out my name. Needless to say after delivery, the buyer was extremely pleased with the car. Point is that you should never buy "in the blind". You can get screwed doing that.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

David, it's amazing that anyone would actually fall for this nonsense.

Lol! It was a little bizzarre... A stellar Model A at a really good price, in storage in Edmonton as the Quebec (close to Edmonton, hahaha) owner had suddenly transferred "overseas".
Since I know people in Edmonton, I thought it would be fun to suggest a meeting at the car. The "seller's" preference was to ship it to Ontario for a no charge 10 day returnable trial.
Yep. I'm fine with that, right after my representative examines the car. End of comunications. Lol!

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Lol! It was a little bizzarre...

This thread has reminded me of an experience with scammers that I had posted about years ago.

Phoney eBay Second Chance Offer

Ah, memories...
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just asking but, where's the car?
You'd be smart IMO to fly there and personally take a look at the car even if, you're having it shipped.

Rams
thejinx13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thejinx13Send a Private Message to thejinx13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where in CO is it?
I live in Colorado Springs.
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to say something kinda smells. however we don't have the details like where/how the sale originated. I remember seeing a Fiero kit a couple hours drive away and reached out with some questions. The guy called me and high pressure tried to get me to send him money and he would deliver it. As soon as i mentioned i had a trailer and was more than willing to come look at it and pick it up he got irate telling me he didn't have time for people to come look at it. When i asked how he has time to deliver it but not let people look he hung up.

The one time i did buy a vehicle sight unseen clear across the country it was a horrible frightening experience that worked out fine but it was a white knuckle ride. Some guy had sold a bunch of stuff cheap on ebay car boat bike. Said his visa was up and was leaving the country(didn't know this until after i was on the hook to buy). I sent him a low-ball offer and he took it. Then I setup logistics and such to ship a bike from Florida to CA. I got the title 2 days after i sent money. Dude was leaving the country like 5 days after the sale. So now i have a title/am liable for a bike on the other coast. Lucky i got a logistics company to pick it up. Then it took forever to show up the logistics guys trailer threw an axel in texas and that took a week. Probably took over a month to arrive. I had to keep reminding myself i picked and setup the logistics otherwise it felt like a scam.

I lied i also bought a car from Carvana sight unseen
who does have a we deliver. but you already have financing on the hook and have hoops to jump through if you refuse delivery or send it back in the 14 day window. Also you pay extra that is not refundable if the vehicle is far away. Carmax does this too.

Also i looked at that apex place. Doesn't have good reviews and they don't mention offering a brokerage thing. Never go with a seller's broker. Arrange your own shipping and logistics.

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 02-28-2021).]

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I purchased my car on eBay but I drove it home. It was everything they said it was. i still own it, 11 yrs later. Good luck, I hope you don't get ripped off because that would not be nice.
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I purchased both of my GT's over eBay, sight unseen, and had them shipped cross-country to NC. I was extremely lucky on both occasions as far as condition - nothing that I did not expect as the sellers provided lots of pictures. There was an issue with the title of the one I purchased from California but I was able to sort that out without too much hassle while attending a business conference in the U.S. Would I do it again? Depends on the circumstances but probably not. I tried to buy a car in Australia the same way but nearly got stung when the "seller" wanted the money to be sent to an off-shore account. Alarm bells and "Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!" Got the wire transfer stopped before it left the country. (I really wanted that Holden Monaro. It was sold as the Pontiac GTO in the States.)

Moral of the story: Be very careful when buying sight-unseen and if the deal looks too good to be true or smells bad, it probably is.

[This message has been edited by Mike in Sydney (edited 03-01-2021).]

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mike in Sydney

657 posts
Member since Sep 2011
deleted - duplicate posting.

[This message has been edited by Mike in Sydney (edited 02-28-2021).]

Boozeman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2021 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoozemanSend a Private Message to BoozemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've purchased two cars off of eBay with success, one being my Fiero. Purchased it January of 2019, and my wife and I flew to Raleigh, NC and drove it 1147 miles home. I will say that I had a lot of communication with the seller, and although it was the first time I had made such a big purchase on eBay, it really turned out better than I expected. Just ask the right questions, ask for specific photos, a photo of the current title, etc. Search Google Images to see if you can come up with the same pictures you're sent, communicate solely through eBay, and insist on Paypal as your payment method. Good luck!

------------------

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2021 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't feel that all these successful eBay purchases being mentioned have any relevance whatsoever to what the OP has brought to our attention. The Fiero that's caught his interest is not an eBay listing.

Seriously, what vendor is their right mind would ship a vehicle to a potential buyer and then give them ten days to "reject" the vehicle... at no expense to the potential buyer? That would be absolutely ludicrous!

Plain and simple, this is a scam.

I am attempting to purchase a 88 Fiero over the internet thru a brokerage/shipping firm by the name of "Apex Freight Division" out of Colorado.

I've got a nice couple of bridges in my neighborhood that I'm willing to sell cheap.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-01-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2021 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to worry............ found out it was a major scam!! Had the BBB check them out. Not good.

So much for that idea.

Thanks for all the comment and feed back.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2021 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So much for that idea.

Glad to hear you weren't sucked in!
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2021 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not to worry............ found out it was a major scam!! Had the BBB check them out. Not good.

So much for that idea.

Thanks for all the comment and feed back.

Can you please explain how the BBB process worked? I'm amazed they did anything for you.
Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2021 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Notorio,

The BBC did not help me personally but rather their web site. You do a search for a business by name and by address by city.

In addition, checked with the local Chamber of commerce and City Hall. Neither could provide any information on the company in question and further stated the company did not exist.

I also did a background check (cost a couple of dollars). That ended up telling the tail of the individuals I was communicating with.

I have filled a complaint with the BBB.

[This message has been edited by Cajun (edited 03-03-2021).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2021 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What website was the car listed on, Craigslist? How did you find it? VIN?

Typically the way this scam works, is the seller tells you to send money to an escrow company that holds the funds until you OK the car. In reality the escrow website is the scammer's site, and the car is perpetually 'in transit'
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2021 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Notorio,

The BBC did not help me personally but rather their web site. You do a search for a business by name and by address by city.

In addition, checked with the local Chamber of commerce and City Hall. Neither could provide any information on the company in question and further stated the company did not exist.

I also did a background check (cost a couple of dollars). That ended up telling the tail of the individuals I was communicating with.

I have filled a complaint with the BBB.

Thanks for explaining that. This is what I'll do next time I'm in that boat ... last time I just had them take some specific pictures but it wasn't a good feeling until the car finally arrived.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2021 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
I've got a nice couple of bridges in my neighborhood that I'm willing to sell cheap.

Hey, Patrick...I'm interested in a bridge......How much?
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2021 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have bought a car unseen before but i have also been the eyes doing the appraisals for wholesalers and been barked at when miss marks or problems. I wouldn't advise doing it but all depends what is on offer.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 03-04-2021).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2021 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Hey, Patrick...I'm interested in a bridge......How much?

For you my friend, the bridge is absolutely free! All that's required is just a not so small shipping and handling fee!

And the best part... is that you've got 10 full days to try 'er out, at absolutely no cost or obligation. All monies will held at Patty's Escrow ServiceĀ® until you make your final decision.

What are you waiting for... this is the opportunity of a lifetime. Operators are standing by!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock