After Winter Starting problem by 85fieroguy
Started on: 02-27-2021 07:38 PM
Replies: 6 (308 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 03-05-2021 10:48 AM
85fieroguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2021 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Temp. in the 50's, figured I 'd start the 85 GT . Turns over, its trying to fire, but no go. Question" should I pump the gas several times or just try and start it without depressing the gas pedal ( even several times). Need advice..
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2021 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pumping the gas pedal does nothing on fuel injection.

4 possible issues.….

Out of gas - I was once told that if you don't run out of gas, you don't own a Fiero. Don't rely on the fuel gauge, they're usually wrong.

Lost prime - Cycle the key a few times and crank it over for about 20 seconds (Repeat several times until start)

Fuel Pump Relay bad - Swap with another relay and see if it starts

Fuel pump crapped out - Replace fuel pump

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 02-27-2021).]

skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't tell you how many times I've run out of gas on my Fiero its right between E and 1/4 i used to know the exact miles and keep them on the trip. But I've forgotten and ill blame covid.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

4 possible issues.….

Out of gas - I was once told that if you don't run out of gas, you don't own a Fiero. Don't rely on the fuel gauge, they're usually wrong.

Lost prime - Cycle the key a few times and crank it over for about 20 seconds (Repeat several times until start)

Fuel Pump Relay bad - Swap with another relay and see if it starts

Fuel pump crapped out - Replace fuel pump

5th possible issue... the short length of submersed hose inside the gas tank (which connects the fuel pump to the fuel line) has cracked/rotted. Listen for the sound of the fuel pump priming, and check the fuel pressure.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-28-2021).]

Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

5th possible issue... the short length of submersed hose inside the gas tank (which connects the fuel pump to the fuel line) has cracked/rotted. Listen for the sound of the fuel pump priming, and check the fuel pressure.

Yes

Todays fuel with 80's lines gets along about as good as aluminum toughing steel.
85fieroguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2021 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, after your advice with some patience, " she " fired up..took a spin to get the temp up to normal. Feels good to drive the Fiero after a rough Winter here in Chicago.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2021 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fieroguy:

Thanks guys, after your advice with some patience, " she " fired up..took a spin to get the temp up to normal. Feels good to drive the Fiero after a rough Winter here in Chicago.

Last I looked it is still winter-LOL. Brave man! Mine don't come out until after April showers.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock