87 4 cyl engine is kaput by 87convert
Started on: 02-26-2021 07:12 PM
Replies: 6 (248 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 03-11-2021 12:33 PM
87convert

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2021 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87convertSend a Private Message to 87convertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the engine in my convertible finally gave up. The cam gear has failed so it is new engine time. I have spent some time looking for a drop in long block but so far no luck. Any of you guys know of a source for the 87 2.5 4 cyl reman long block? If I cannot find a long block I will rebuild this one since there is no real damage to the big parts.

Thanks in advance.
Rolland
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2021 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not just replace the cam gear? The duke is a non interference engine.

Edit.
87 is a 1 year only deal. You can't use an 86 or 88 block or cranks they are different. You can drop an 88 full setup in but these days i hear that the balance shafts are problematic to get.

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 02-26-2021).]

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2021 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup 87 only engine. All later use engine balancer and Oil filter in the pan and have several issues even before balance bearing dies.
When the balancer dies, very hard to impossible to replace even if rest of engine is recoverable and crank gear isn't wrecked.

replace the gear and install crank balancer to replace OE pulley.
See my Cave, Cam Gears, Cam Gear PFF archive

can do this w/ cam in engine or take out but more work to a lot more work depending how done.

Threads you make on cam to use press/pull parts maybe wrong. read both links and maybe search. Partly because can't/won't use exact same tools as GM.
1mm/.040in in oil gallery plug is very small and most drills can handle tiny bits. need variable speed dremell and adjustable chuck. Maybe small collects might work but a "real" chuck is way better. A flex tool/cable between helps a lot. Slow speed and light pressure or will break the bit plus helps prevent bit pushing in crap when pierces the metal.

Can get cam out w/o taking engine out but will require more access to lifter gallery to pull lifters out. remove OP drive. etc.

Avoid remove intake man. If you do w/ require gasket, use Felpro not others. Make different to stop some problems.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a complete crate engine for $500 in VA. PM if you're interested.

Jen

[This message has been edited by Fierochic88 (edited 03-11-2021).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2021 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierochic88:
I have a complete crate engine for $500 in VA. Email me at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx if you're interested.

Jen
Email in public place is bad idea at many levels. Use PM for that. Bots likely already scrape that to spam you or worse.

Shipping to AZ is likely going to cost a lot.
You have all of the original crate came it? If not that's going to cost too. Proper palletizing of big heavy things isn't simple for people never done this. If you don't have a fork lift or dock then need to specially call for lift gate to pickup, deliver, or both and may cause added cost and other issues.

People that can drive to get it is likely only buyers.
I and some others have driven hundreds of miles because even tho can cost $50 $100 or more in fuel and tolls, big and/or heavy parts often cost way more to ship.
Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2021 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, we had a lot of 8 and have sold all but this final one and loaded/shipped them. We often use UShip which is pretty reasonable but have also done Fastenel. Good point on the email! Thanks!
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2021 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierochic88:

I have a complete crate engine for $500 in VA. PM if you're interested.

Jen

That's a great buy for a new Duke engine. Its worth twice that. Last time I shipped an engine to the mid-West it was about a $175 charge. Even at $675 its still a great buy. If you find an independent trucker that has room, already making a trip to a destination near the buyer, the charge might be less. I agree U-Ship and Fastenel can be economic shipping sources.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock