Koni shock availability - 1988 by Bengt Weil
Started on: 02-09-2021 09:00 PM
Replies: 7 (561 views)
Last post by: Bengt Weil on 02-19-2021 11:55 PM
Bengt Weil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2021 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bengt WeilSend a Private Message to Bengt WeilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am thinking of selling my 1-owner '88 T-Top that has less than 10k miles. It has Koni shocks that have no more than 500-700 miles. Any thoughts on whether I should sell the Koni's separately (as I have the original low-mileage OEM shocks) or sell them with the car?

It appears that the shocks are not in production any longer, though the fronts (8040-1092) may still be available from one retailer thru Amazon at a bit less than the last known list price of $244/ea. The rears (8741-1063), look to be available from WCF at a price higher than the last known list price of $360/ea. Like I said, it appears the shocks are out there, but you usually find out they're no longer available when you actually order them and the retailer cannot fulfill the order.

I'd really rather the shocks go to someone who needs and can appreciate them, though I'd need to figure out a fair market value for them if I sell them separate from the car. If I sell them on the car, will they really enhance the value of a low-mileage, one-owner, immaculate 5-speed T-Top? Just trying to get the communities opinion on the best course of action - Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Craig71188

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Opinions are worth what you're paying for them. That said, my thought would be put it back to original, offer the Koni's separately. As to value...they're worth what someone will pay you and what you're willing to accept. There are enough prices still showing for "new" albeit non-existent ones online. At or a bit above those figures should be a fair starting point.
Bengt Weil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Bengt WeilSend a Private Message to Bengt WeilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for your input -

...put it back to original, offer the Koni's separately.

This is the direction I was leaning and seems to make the most sense. Your points are well taken.
Z3SpdDmn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would offer them to the buyer of the car as "optional" for 50% of whatever you'd sell them for on the open market, as it will save you the hassle of removal, assuming that they will appreciate them.

I'm with you... I got one of the last sets and my '88 GT was totaled last spring. The LR Koni strut shaft was bent in the process. I pulled off all the NLA parts (Koni's, AADCO bars, TFS lowering springs) and sold off the remaining chassis. I figured I'd either get another '88 GT, or sell everything back into the community. I had to have the front swaybar straightened and just had both bars powdercoated. I sent the rear struts to Truchoice and had the LR rebuilt. The cost was more than a new one! But considering that you can't get a new one, I'd say it was worth it to keep them in service.

I've recently acquired an '88 GT 5-spd T-Top with 23k miles, but I'm not sure if I want to keep this particular one long-term. If I do, I'll swap everything in. If not, I'm back to my previous decision process

------------------
Anthony

'88 Fiero GT 5-spd T-Top - Red/Grey 23k mile BaT purchase
www.DriveFasterNow.com

Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2021 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Z3SpdDmn:

I would offer them to the buyer of the car as "optional" for 50% of whatever you'd sell them for on the open market, as it will save you the hassle of removal, assuming that they will appreciate them ...

I'm with Z3 on that recommendation. You'll get some cash but not have to do any more work.
Bengt Weil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2021 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bengt WeilSend a Private Message to Bengt WeilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to all who provided feedback. I have removed the front Koni's and will have the rears removed (along with the Momo steering wheel, Hella H4's, etc.) and put the car back to original - I believe the car will present more effectively, based on it's pedigree. I have had an inquiry on the Koni's and if that doesn't work out, I will be listing them eventually in the classifieds as a complete set for the '88.
I'm always appreciative of the constructive input you guys offer - thanks again.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2021 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure to post pics of the rear struts.
There were two styles made with the same part number. The early version had the top of the strut housing swaged for the top nut. The newer version had a uniform housing with an oversized cap.

The majority of people looking for Koni struts are planning to convert to coliovers and the newer style accommodates the conversion much, much easier.
Bengt Weil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bengt WeilSend a Private Message to Bengt WeilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the clarification of the two types of Koni strut housings - I wasn't aware there was a difference.

Yes, the rear struts are the new style, with the uniform housing instead of the swaged housing of the older style. The top cap can easily be turned down as necessary to do the coil-over conversion if one desired to do so.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock