Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Is there a product which restores faded bumpers?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Is there a product which restores faded bumpers? by TheDigitalAlchemist
Started on: 01-18-2021 07:51 PM
Replies: 14 (309 views)
Last post by: Australian on 01-23-2021 07:15 AM
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2021 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Like this? (It’s faded pink)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike in Sydney

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2021 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paint?

------------------
Mike in Sydney

Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2021 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A series of 3M polishing compounds along with a coat of paste wax. You might lose some of your stripes though.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2021 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Start with 3M micro polish first and see how it cleans up. It is fine and may not hurt the stripes. It may take some work being fine polish but it is easier to control.
The Art Doctor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2021 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The Art DoctorClick Here to visit The Art Doctor's HomePageSend a Private Message to The Art DoctorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guessing that bumper was resprayed with paint that is not holding up as well as the paint on the hood. Probably not enough paint there to sand to good pigment. Gonna need a respray.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2021 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fascia was not repainted. It's what happens to straight reds when applied to rubbers and sometimes other body panels when left out to bake in the sun. Toyota reds of the 80's and 90's were notorious for it.

Wet sanding will not work as the pigments in the color are bleached out by the sun. As I mentioned prior, buff with a series of 3M compounds, paste wax, and hope you get back as much of the color as you can. I have been doing this for about 45 years.
thejinx13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2021 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thejinx13Send a Private Message to thejinx13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the best stuff on the planet. You won't believe the difference. Meguire is all I will use now. I live in CO with ultra high UV, and this stuff brings everything back. I even use the wax on my granite counters to remove water stains and seal them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B...a_fabc_4DgcGb4TZTAGF
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2021 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My burgundy 87 GT had issue with clear coat fading from Day one. In the past 33 years of ownership I have had portions repainted as needed by at least four different shops. The saving grace has been that all the different shops were able to match the paint. One big reason to keep to a stock color.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2021 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I echo Thunder here. A series of polish may help or it will resolve that it can not be saved.

I used to care for a Corvette Pace Car that the bumpers and rear spoiler would fog up and fade even with less than 5,000 miles. The polishes would restore it and help keep it good.

I have seen horrible paint restored by polishes and oils that help take dry damaged paint to a good shine again. It is not always a sure thing but you have nothing to loose in trying.

Also use a good orbital buffer with a medium foam pad if you are not proficient with a normal buffer. It will do much more work than by hand and it is generally safe for inexperienced buffers.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2021 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I start with a Schlegel wool pad and finish with a 3M black foam pad
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2021 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

I start with a Schlegel wool pad and finish with a 3M black foam pad

Just unsure of skill level and how easy the stripe may come off. Better to under cut if unsure.
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2021 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a better chance of smoking the stripe off with a foam pad than a wool one. Foam generates more heat.

If I was doing the job I'd take Easy-Off Oven Cleaner, remove the stripe, buff it and have it re-striped. Stripers around here will do that job for $20.00 - $30.00.

Not worth jerking around with it for a few bucks. The end result might require re-striping anyway.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2021 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In all honesty, I just want something that I could rub on it a few times a year to make it look alright.

Not thinking “long-term”much.

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2021 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WD-40
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2021 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:

Paint?

Polish wax will only last 3 days paint is only option.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock