Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Did someone write up Instructions on how to build a tube from Air Filter to Intake?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Did someone write up Instructions on how to build a tube from Air Filter to Intake? by Fiero Vice
Started on: 12-12-2020 07:42 PM
Replies: 5 (573 views)
Last post by: Quad GT on 01-02-2021 10:36 AM
Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-12-2020 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2020 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe that was sold by Fierostore many years ago.

You can get different angled CAI tubes from Ebay and have them welded to make your own.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 12-12-2020).]

pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2020 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you install a rigid tube (except for the silicone couplings), you should make sure you have all polyurethane mounts in good condition so the drivetrain doesn't move around.

Normally the rubber tube flexes as the powertrain rocks back and forth relative to the body (on which the air filter is installed).

If there's too much rocking movement with a rigid tube, this movement could be transmitted to the air filter, which could damage it.

Overall this modification seems silly in my mind, however I understand the appeal of the glimmer of metal versus rubber.

If you do proceed with the rigid tube modification, I recommend a silicone hump coupling to link the air filter with the rigid tube:

The hump will give more flexibility than that of a straight coupling. Ideally you should have a hump coupling at both ends of the rigid tube.

I used stainless steel exhaust bends (cut and welded together) to make that sort of air pipe on my Fiero.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 12-13-2020).]

hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2020 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a note. If you are just looking for a replacement fine. If you are looking for a performance gain there is none.

The computer here is closed loop and it will not adjust to more flow unless you burn a new chip.

If you had a mass flow a small gain is possible.

Not trying to destroy a dream but just so you know. Pontiac chose a closed loop system for the Fiero.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2020 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can fit a pod filter inside original but there are threads about widening the intake inside rear quarter panel.
Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2021 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about if its a 3800SC swap? Is it still a closed loop?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock