Number of Fieros selling over 10k by formulaWA
Started on: 11-26-2020 10:49 AM
Replies: 13 (532 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 12-07-2020 12:41 PM
formulaWA

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2020 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2020 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No doubt the 88's are still bringing the money but they also bring headaches when looking for the unique 1 year only suspension parts.
IMO, the 1988 values will continue to rise slightly but in general the car collecting hobby is getting smaller. This seems to be the case with most hobbies as the Millennial generation focus' on other interests.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2020 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot is coming down to condition and miles.

Many non traditional Fiero fans are now looking and they want cars that don’t need work for their collections.

Most people don’t want fixer uppers or 4 cylinders outside Pace Cars.

Modified cars are wild cards. If done well and in good taste they can reap good money. But poorly done or undocumented modifications can also hurt values too. Same for some taste in changes. What appeals to the majority reaps better prices vs what may appeal to the few.

Actually prices are good and in-line for 80’s cars. Too many were expecting big money early on these cars but that was a little over the top.

Look at the value of many 80’s cars and you will see for a good Fieros we are at or over many cars values of that era. We are ahead of many of the bigger name cars in some cases,
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2020 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The easy part is spending 10k to improve the car and nobody in used car market noticing the difference.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post11-27-2020 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw a story about an original paint, nice condition survivor 1978 Y88 Trans Am someone bought for top retail dollar a good while back. He drove it home from the seller's place and the rear quarter got damaged. He then did a full restoration on it. You want to find that buyer when you're selling.
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2020 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by formulaWA:

10k+ Fieros

Great article, formulaWA! I've been observing the Fiero prices rising the past year or so. I know of an 88 GT 5 speed, with 11k certified miles. He asked $19K, and it sold for $17K.

formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2020 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can only hope I still have my 2k miles mint formula up for $10k. Maybe next spring will bring some interest....
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2020 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had very very good luck selling from my front yard.. only two this year as I've had to take on labor intensive work at my business and let people go thanks to the China virus.

I picked-up two 87 GT's with lower miles (67k and 79k). I repainted both, new carpet, seat covers, suspension, brakes and tires/wheels.. misc stuff from Rodney and Fiero Store. I did not make a killing, but I did turn a profit on each and always enjoy restoring these cars.

I do not sell online.. I basically gave away a few when I did. I have my own paint booth, lifts, shop so it's quick work and I realize not everyone has that. But you can make some money, and the prices are up considerably in my area.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2020 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:
Actually prices are good and in-line for 80’s cars. Too many were expecting big money early on these cars but that was a little over the top.

Look at the value of many 80’s cars and you will see for a good Fieros we are at or over many cars values of that era. We are ahead of many of the bigger name cars in some cases,

You seem to have done a lot of research. Examples?
jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2020 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just look at the current asking prices and realized prices on these cars.

Firebirds and Camaro 3rd Gen are not setting the world on fire unless it is something special like a 3.8 turbo TA pace car.

Mustangs are not high priced outside the special Cobra editions that were low volume.

Monte SSAero coupes are just coming in now just if they have a aero window and t tops.

The GM is one of the few that saw early values.

C4 Corvettes are still very low prices.

Again condition and options on all of these are a major factor. It is extremely difficult to restore many of these cars so unmolested versions of many are a higher price.

Many think cars get to be 20 years old they are worth a ton of money. Growing up in the 80’s my buddies and I were buying 20-35 year old 55 Chevys, 64 Tripower GTO and 68 Chevelle SS for $2000 to $6000. These were clean new original cars. My buddy still has his GTO that could easily rake in $50000 today.

Right now the big value cars are still the 60’s, the 70’s have their select cars now seeing increases like early F body and Corvettes. The later Trans Am is doing better than most due to the bandit.

Also all are affected by supply and demand. The supply of clean cars is lower than ever and demand on most are just starting.

The Fiero has suffered a lot due to a large supply anf lower demand. Supplies of clean cars are still high since many used the V6 cars as weekend toys.

In the last couple years interest outside the traditional owners has grown. Many who wanted a Fiero in the 80’s can now buy one as the kids have moved on and they have more disposable income.

While we will never get rich off these cars you should do ok with a lower mile car in near original condition. The 88’s will lead, any V6 after that and Pace Cars.

As for customs it will depend on what was done and the quality. If the is tastefully done it will do well. If it looks silly or odd you are at the mercy of demand.

My car is low miles V6 and modified. But most of my modifications are original rare parts from the 80’s. Some of the parts are in higher demand than my car lol! I also have a couple GM prototype parts. It is hard to Gage what I would get but on condition alone I expect it would do well.

It is clean enough that I wax the underside pan.

I just remember people in 88 saying these cars were going to be $100000. Well I knew better then as there was just too many of them around. Even today just because they are not on the road I know many in garages around my area with them under covers.
Frenchrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2020 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrenchrafeSend a Private Message to FrenchrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here in France, the few working Fieros that are for sale are all heading towards the 10k€ mark or above!
Even a total project (without papers - not good here - try to get the damn thing registered!!) is pushing 2.5k€ or more.

------------------
"Turbo Slug" - '87 Fiero GT. 3800 turbo. Sticky tyres. Driven hard!
https://www.youtube.com/cha...1wZvWQlkYxTjivW_0XNg

PFF
System Bot
WKDFIRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2020 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WKDFIROSend a Private Message to WKDFIROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ones I've seen on eBay for over 10k have not been selling at all.

To see Fieros selling for over inflation adjusted pricing is surprising to say the least.

I'll just keep driving my Formula with over 280k miles and keep restoring my 87 GT with over 80k miles. I never got into Fieros because I thought they would be worth anything more than labor of love I pour into them.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post12-07-2020 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The one really nice looking, freshly painted car I owned made me cry everytime some little thing touched the paint and I could remember where every one of them happened and was located.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2020 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember the first time my 85 SE V6 was "Hit".....I was driving home from NAS Alameda and a lady was "Parallel parked"...As I was about to pass her (At approx' 15 mph) She started to pull out- I swerved but her front tire got my rear fascia....."I.....OOhhhhhh....You- you.....argggggg!!!"

A year later a very....>>LARGE<< lady was getting out of her old Buick 2 door (the doors are as big as my CAR!) and KICKS the door into the side of my car! (My car rocked back and forth) I ran around to confront her...she jibbered at me and started walking away...Holding her purse way out to the side to clear her......bulk. I checked my car for damage, and then hauled off and KICKED her car door- she turned and asked "What did you do?" and I said "Just returning the favor, Ma'am!" and drove off....a few years later that door was replaced after a T-bone; I looked under the skin and could see a dent in the guard beam where her door would have hit!

Anyhow, my 85 is a daily driver- looks pretty good, has a few scratches- some of the paint on the passenger door is pealing (repainted replacement) But I won't ever have a "Perfect car"...I appreciate those who go thru a car and restore it to perfection...But I want to drive mine....and not be "In line for a heart attack" if someone bumps it!

As far as Fiero prices....They are the first and (up until the C8) only US mid-engined car- they should be worth a lot more....but the magazines (Especially Car & Drivel) bombed on the Fiero mercilessly from 1986 thru 88. I meet people all the time who are surprised that they didn't all burn up...."Worst car ever made- makes a Yugo look like Mercedes!"

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 12-07-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock