85 GT by Miel
Started on: 11-24-2020 03:55 AM
Replies: 8 (349 views)
Last post by: Miel on 11-27-2020 12:57 PM
Miel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2020 03:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MielSend a Private Message to MielEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all, my name is Miel and I live in Oconomowoc Wisconsin (close to Milwaukee). A few weeks ago I finally convinced my wife that I need a new project car now that my 66 Mustang is done. So I was going to get a car off an auction site but then I checked Craigslist and found a 85 Fiero GT 4 speed right here in town and picked it up. It appears to be in nice mechanical condition with a lot of cosmetic work needed. The 2 only items are a really bad steering wheel wobble (fixed yesterday) and the headlight motors (one fixed now the other is still being stubborn). The Fiero was also an easy one to convince my wife on as my late father in law was a chief engineer at Pontiac and setup the production line for the Fiero. So far I love the car, it’s the exact opposite of my 66 Mustang. Not nearly as fast as the Mustang but handles great. The interior is actually pretty good and most of the work will be the body panels. The whole car was plastic dipped in white. This war a pain to get off an underneath it’s red and silver. Looking forward to join the community!!!

[This message has been edited by Miel (edited 11-25-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2020 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome! All the info you will need is right here - PFF is a treasure trove of knowledge.

Tim
Boozeman

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2020 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoozemanSend a Private Message to BoozemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow - the interior looks amazing! Good find!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2020 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool! Welcome to our obsession.
Miel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2020 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MielSend a Private Message to MielEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. Not sure what I want to do with it yet. I told my wife I would sell it when done since I already have the mustang (and not getting rid of that) but with it being one of the cars her dad build and designed I think she will let me keep it. I do drive my cars so no show car. I daily the 66 mustang as long as it's not raining or snowing (too much torque). So I will drive it a lot (but I work from home so a lot is still not that much). I was considering using it for Streetcross racing and maybe put a 3800 sc in it but first I need to make it presentable.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2020 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the madness.
Given where you are, if you have not already done so and before you spend a bundle on it, check for rust under the trunk corners and upper frame rails.
Plenty of threads on here about the horrors of rust back there.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2020 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome, looking forward to your progress.

Edit your first post, remove the space between the / & the B, /Miel/ B7708867-EF4A make it look like /Miel/B7708867-EF4A

This will allow your photo of the car in white to show up.

Miel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2020 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MielSend a Private Message to MielEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fixed. Thanks
Miel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2020 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MielSend a Private Message to MielEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

Welcome to the madness.
Given where you are, if you have not already done so and before you spend a bundle on it, check for rust under the trunk corners and upper frame rails.
Plenty of threads on here about the horrors of rust back there.

Thanks for the tip. When I first inspected the car when I bought it it looked really clean underneath and the only rust I could find was on the rear subframe where it connects to the frame on the front driver side but could not find anything else so I am hoping that at worst it might just need a new subframe (no welding required.

I looked at the trunk corners and they look amazingly clean. No issue there. However the upper frame rail on the passenger side seems not that great. Would like to inspect further and clean up but I think I might need to take the rear clip off for that. Is that possible without taking the roof off? I would like to avoid removing the roof as I have seen too many people breaking it at the pillars with it being glued on and the sun roof is not showing any signs of leaking so no need to mess with that.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock