Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Last Fiero Sells for $90k!!! World Record! (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Last Fiero Sells for $90k!!! World Record! by 87_FieroGT
Started on: 11-07-2020 12:49 PM
Replies: 41 (1416 views)
Last post by: Fierochic88 on 11-12-2020 10:32 AM
87_FieroGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2020 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The last Fiero ever built has just hammered for $90k!! Wow! Reserve came off around $65k if I remember correctly. Very exciting!

------------------

1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, Black w/Beechwood interior
Featured in the 2018 Fiero Store calendar month of May
2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI S

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2020 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope the person who I THINK bought this, actually bought it.
87_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2020 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I hope the person who I THINK bought this, actually bought it.

Fred Bartemeyer? If so, that would be the perfect home for it.

------------------

pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2020 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87_FieroGT:

Fred Bartemeyer? If so, that would be the perfect home for it.

Yes!

Photo from facebook page of:
Midwest Fiero Clubs Region of the AACA

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 11-07-2020).]

Midwest Fiero Clubs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2020 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Midwest Fiero ClubsClick Here to visit Midwest Fiero Clubs's HomePageSend a Private Message to Midwest Fiero ClubsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fred is the new owner, the last Fiero built is in good hands

------------------
http://midwestfieroclubs.aaca.com/

https://www.facebook.com/midwestfieroclubs

87_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2020 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Yes!

Photo from facebook page of:
Midwest Fiero Clubs Region of the AACA

WOW!!!! Congratulations to Mr Bartemeyer! I know you're the perfect caretaker of this treasure.

------------------

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2020 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats Fred!
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2020 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's the best news and the best owner for this car. Awesome stuff.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2020 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For all of us, a piece of history!!

I don't really know Fred, glad he got it though !!

Perfect museum piece...well done !

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2020 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierogt28

2937 posts
Member since Feb 2005
.dp

[This message has been edited by fierogt28 (edited 11-07-2020).]

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2020 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice it goes to Fred. I wonder who else was bidding.
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2020 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where are all the negative Nellies that poo-poo'd me as if I was crazy when I said $42k? If I recall, only 1 person saw what I was seeing and wished it does more.

Well..... It did!

(And YES..... It will have an effect on future pricing of Fieros)
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2020 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

I wonder who else was bidding.

Dang... missed it by that much.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2020 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

Where are all the negative Nellies that poo-poo'd me as if I was crazy when I said $42k? If I recall, only 1 person saw what I was seeing and wished it does more.

Well..... It did!

(And YES..... It will have an effect on future pricing of Fieros)

To be honest, I know you have a few rare Fiero's as well and I was wondering if you were going to bid on this car. I'm amazed and actually happy I was WAY off in that other thread. I believe I thought this car would only bring 20k but like you have said before, it's worth whatever someone pays.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post11-07-2020 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't even remember the amount I said I'd bid on it but it was way more than what many people said. It being the last Pontiac built Pontiac is historically significant.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2020 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

To be honest, I know you have a few rare Fiero's as well and I was wondering if you were going to bid on this car. I'm amazed and actually happy I was WAY off in that other thread. I believe I thought this car would only bring 20k but like you have said before, it's worth whatever someone pays.

No, this one was not in my wheelhouse. I was after Earl's Pearl. I knew this GT was going to go for quite a bit but never figured $90k. My number of $42k was based on current affairs due to Covid and it's effect on the economy. It is a great day for Pontiac and Fiero collectors.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2020 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thunderstruck GT

2664 posts
Member since Oct 2015

Originally posted by sourmash:

I don't even remember the amount I said I'd bid on it but it was way more than what many people said. It being the last Pontiac built Pontiac is historically significant.

In the right auction 30Kish would be well bought. It's the number that came to mind in this lesser economic situation. $31,200 would be my bid in this auction. In a bigger presentation it would go for more.

I know nothing of the advertising of this auction house to be able to portend an outcome, but it would be worth a 30k bid to me if I were in.

sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-07-2020 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I was the one who sought out and bumped the thread, and was one countering those dogging it as only a 20K car. Thanks for ignoring that fact.
You should've included the context instead of alienating one who supported a higher price for the car of historical importance. No good deed goes unpunished.
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-07-2020 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sourmash

4558 posts
Member since Jul 2016
Since someone is distorting the context, let's revisit the actual discussion. /rolleyes
NOBODY got close to the actual hammer price. Fieros and dogs are fine. It's the owners that can be sketchy.

20K if they're lucky.

Originally posted by andreww:
Well, I think the highest sale price I've seen was a little over $20K if I'm not mistaken. So the question is, how much does being "the last Fiero" add to the price? In my opinion, very little.

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
What this final Fiero will sell for is a very big question. The 88 model year has appeal but the auto setup may not. From sitting so long the car cannot be considered a driver but would make a good museum/collector piece.
As for value; this is not that rare a car, but it does hold historical significance. I'll take a wild guess and say that if the right buyer is in, it will sell in the area of $18K-$23K but it would not surprise me if the bidding goes to $25K.

If it sells for 30k or 42k no other Fiero is worth that much just for being a similar condition 88GT in the identical condition. Let's grenade that idea for anyone reading who might want to inflate their car's value to a one of kind situation that they will not have. The last Garand is worth more than the previous ones in the same block.
The last Gibson Les Paul will be worth more than any other similar Les Paul made in the year when they stop making them.

Jay Leno, or a Jerry Seinfield are the players in this field, not just Joe Sixpack. Jay and Jerry are using your money to buy.

Since one of these has never been sold before you can't directly compare. But I guess you can look at those and add the premium of the following: it's really the last Pontiac off the Pontiac line and also happens to be the last Fiero (a GT too), so it completes the legacy of the performance era for Pontiac with a pretty 'neat' additional detail of being a desirable GT Fiero of the last made in perfectly original condition. In the right auction 30Kish would be well bought. It's the number that came to mind in this lesser economic situation. $31,200 would be my bid in this auction. In a bigger presentation it would go for more.[/b]

I know nothing of the advertising of this auction house to be able to portend an outcome, but it would be worth a 30k bid to me if I were in.

[This message has been edited by sourmash (edited 11-07-2020).]

fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2020 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, is he breaking it up for parts ? .......hahaha

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2020 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Along with many I was also way off on my estimate. I am a driver rather than just an owner so my interests overshadowed my thoughts on what true collectors would pay. Congratulations to Mr Fred Bartemeyer and to Mike Kelly who reaped a very good reward for his time at the Fiero plant.
Now for the final trivia questions. Two end of line Fieros were raffled off and given away when the Fiero plant shuttered. The one in the auction (now Freds) was the very last one produced Who has the other with one serial number lower given to Louis Manley?
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2020 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting. I haven't really been following this, as I'm really not interested in anything that I couldn't drive - or would be afraid to drive. (As if I could ever afford such a car.)
I never would have expected it to go as high as it did. I wouldn't have been surprised at $35-45K, however.

But I offer my congratulations to Fred. He ought to open a museum.

And yeah... This has likely placed the Fiero "front and center" in the eyes of future collectors.
(Grab 'em before the prices go nuts.)
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2020 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations to Fred.

Obviously, there must have been other interested parties and at least one other high bidder.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2020 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations Fred!!!!!

Now we KNOW this piece of history will be safe and well cared for.

------------------
Paul

Sage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2020 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could not be in better hands.

Glad Fred and company had the means to cinch this deal.

It will truly be saved for "prosperity" now.

Hard to believe the hammer price though!

HAGO!
Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2020 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations Fred ✅😊
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2020 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats Fred.

Auctions are a fickled thing You seldom can predict them as depending on how shows up to bid makes all the difference.

If two strong bidders show up you get a high result like this. Next week if the winner should put the same car to auction he may only have one bidder with much different results.

They had marketed this auction well and it worked as the auction house had hoped.

I recall a Chevelle SS drag car that went for well over a million that sold two years later for much less.

I know with Fred he is buying here not for profit but for preservation. He will be ok here thought I am sure he wish it had sold for less.

Well if anything now it is not only the last Fiero but the highest price ever paid Fiero too. The important thing is it is in good hands and will be seen vs just put away in some a
Obscure collection never to be seen again.

Fred the black Porsche Eater is in Europe still in the 1985 trim. It is in a museum. Time for it to come home! Just saying if you need a new target! Lol!

Honestly that is the one inspired my build and I was thrilled to know it survived with the 2.9. I hope it comes back to America some day.

andreww

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2020 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$90K is simply a ridiculous price to pay in my opinion. Does this reflect on the overall value of our cars? Definitely not. This car fetched $90K because it was the last off the line and has been well preserved, not simply because its a Fiero. Without that tag, its still a $20K car. I think the new owner may have a hard time getting his money back out of this thing, but I guess if you've got the money, that may not matter to him. Its a great car with a great story and I'm glad it went to a member of the Fiero community.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2020 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

$90K is simply a ridiculous price to pay in my opinion. Does this reflect on the overall value of our cars? Definitely not. This car fetched $90K because it was the last off the line and has been well preserved, not simply because its a Fiero. Without that tag, its still a $20K car. I think the new owner may have a hard time getting his money back out of this thing, but I guess if you've got the money, that may not matter to him. Its a great car with a great story and I'm glad it went to a member of the Fiero community.

The one thing it did accomplish is that it placed the Fiero "front and center" in the vision of a bunch of collectors.
Most Fieros are still relatively inexpensive. But at least some of those collectors must be thinking, "Hmmmm..."

Me? I couldn't care less. I'll likely never buy a car that I would be afraid to drive on the street.
And I don't plan on selling either of mine, anytime soon. Unless it's to buy something else to play with.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2020 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When it comes to auctions the price paid only matters to the buyer. If Fred is ok with it that is all that matters.

If it is was worth that price to the buyer why should anyone else worry?
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2020 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think the new owner may have a hard time getting his money back out of this thing....

It's funny picturing Fred as a "flipper".

PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2020 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:
If it is was worth that price to the buyer why should anyone else worry?

That's what gossip and chit-chat is... if we only share news without also sharing opinions, well that would be pretty boring.

I leave unbiased news-telling to professional journalists (and they're not always good at that).
Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2020 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep in mind it is also the last Pontiac made in Pontiac...that likely also attracted people.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2020 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

That's what gossip and chit-chat is... if we only share news without also sharing opinions, well that would be pretty boring.

I leave unbiased news-telling to professional journalists (and they're not always good at that).

Boring yes but the intelligence factor goes up ten fold.

Starting arguments for the point of argument is not doing anyone much good. If you need entertained get Netflix.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 11-09-2020).]

gtjeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2020 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtjeffSend a Private Message to gtjeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is what Cheri Alexander, had to say on Linked in in response to the post I made there about the last Fiero selling for $90k. "Best car, best plant ever! My plant!!!"
Cheri was Executive Director Global Human Resources for General Motors from 2004-2007 and is a mentor to Mary Barra. Cheri is a link of mine on Linked in. She used to own a Fiero and even had it on her Facebook page. She emailed me recently and mentioned she is looking to buy another Fiero. For what it's worth, Mary Barra even owned a Fiero at one point.

[This message has been edited by gtjeff (edited 11-10-2020).]

sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-10-2020 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got any pics of her?
gtjeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2020 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtjeffSend a Private Message to gtjeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is her profile with a picture on Linked in:
https://www.linkedin.com/in...i-alexander-36859710
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2020 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Got any pics of her?

Here's a pic of both Mary & Cheri!

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2020 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

David Hambleton

1581 posts
Member since Nov 2012

Originally posted by Patrick:

Dang... missed it by that much.

"that" being about $100k Cdn, eh Patrick? Lol!

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2020 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take good care of it Fred!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock