Found 26163 of 26402 1988 Formula for sale by coolink13
Started on: 10-30-2020 07:11 PM
Replies: 17 (515 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 11-22-2020 04:50 PM
coolink13

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2020 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coolink13Send a Private Message to coolink13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes its true. Found one of the last Fieros built . The problem is , it does not run . Was told it needs a engine. But who knows?? It does come with a crate engine. Just not sure what it is ?? 2.8 ,3.1 or a 3.4 ?? The Formula has 67k on it. He wants 3000 for everything
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
coolink13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2020 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coolink13Send a Private Message to coolink13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2020 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by coolink13:

I think I would jump on it, paint it white and do an LS swap with a 6 speed manual, power steering and huge brakes........

But seriously, it looks like it could be a good deal.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2020 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on your find.
Based upon the pics, it looks like an iron head engine, but that timing cover definitely says "FWD". I'm thinking it's a 3.1 minivan engine. (Or maybe a 2.8 for a Cavalier.)
The 3.1 doesn't have any more HP than the stock 2.8, but it has a good bit more low-end torque, due to the longer stroke.

Check the "short" sides of the rear trunk for rust. Otherwise, I'd probably be all over that.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-31-2020).]

coolink13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2020 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coolink13Send a Private Message to coolink13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rickady88GT and Raydar

thanks for chiming in. I am really considering it. I have 2 others that I have interest in. One a 1988 V8 converted GT from here. The other is 1985 SE with over 6K in upgrades and 3800 2 and a 6 speed F40 needs to built. But thats what I wanted to do. As far as the Formula I wanted to do a 3800 swap Automatic may be easier . But have not ruled out the 6 speed for that as well. The paint on 88 Formula. Is in excellent shape. Maybe a wet sand and a buff. And run with original Paint scheme. Which I love. The dew wipes are perfect. I do need to check the problem areas . It has a sunroof AC , cruse, crank windows . Automatic Trans . The Trans fluid is new. I hate the steering wheel. Easy fix. Any more advice would be really helpful from the forum.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2020 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Congrats on your find.
Based upon the pics, it looks like an iron head engine, but that timing cover definitely says "FWD". I'm thinking it's a 3.1 minivan engine. (Or maybe a 2.8 for a Cavalier.)

I'm mostly certain it is a minivan engine.... Chevy APV or MPV or whatever they called it.

The Cavalier engine, if it had that water pump, would have aluminum heads and valve covers by that time too.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2020 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

I'm mostly certain it is a minivan engine.... Chevy APV or MPV or whatever they called it.

I thought about something, after I posted. I seem to remember that, although the minivan engine had the "good" heads (large valves, etc.) it has a milder cam than the Fiero's 2.8.
(I'm not completely certain about this, but I would at least research it a bit.)
Since the engine is already out on the floor, it might be worthwhile to upgrade the cam to something like a Crane 260-1 or something similar.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2020 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$3000 would be fair if it was in good condition and running and driving, but not for a parts/project car. That isn't even a Fiero engine.
coolink13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2020 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coolink13Send a Private Message to coolink13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I completely understand it not running and be able to drive it. That is the unknown of how it shifts drives stops. Does the AC work? I understand all that. In this part of the country you don't find anything with low miles original paint in excellent condition and its untouched. Its all there. . Was told it has bad cylinder. But who knows. Maybe with some luck maybe a burnt valve. . It has a complete engine plus the crate engine. Not sure if there is much negotiation left on the price. I appreciate all the input. Was not planning on keeping the crate engine. Seems like its to costly to upgrade it to make any significant horsepower. Would sell it. Probably a hard sell.
coolink13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2020 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coolink13Send a Private Message to coolink13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

coolink13

51 posts
Member since Sep 2020
coolink13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2020 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coolink13Send a Private Message to coolink13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[img]http://imag es.fieroforum.com/userimages/coolink13/20201004_113814.jpg[/img]
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2020 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Given the area of the country you are in, I would check the rear frame rails and front suspension for rust/rot. I have seen some low mileage car with great body completely rusted underneath in the snow states. Many were driven year round for the first 4-6 years of their life, then parked it due to mechanical issues and the chassis continued to rot while sitting.

If the paint is good and the chassis is rust free, then 3K isn't a bad price for an 88 platform to build from, but it really depends on what your end goal is.

To finish swapping the engine and addressing all belts, hoses, brake lines, fuel pump etc from the car sitting a long time, you are probably going to spend about $2-$3K more and will end up with about $5-$6K in the car possibly a year from now before you can enjoy it. This assumes you can go all the work yourself. Double it if you have to pay someone to do it. For that price, you can buy a one-way plane ticket and buy a nice running fiero from the south and start enjoying it sooner.

If you simply want a good 88 base to start with for a non-stock engine swap and don't want the added expense of painting the fiero later, then the $3K is a bargain for a rust free 88 with good paint. A good paint job later will easily cost you 3K+, so you are money ahead buying one with good paint already.

coolink13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2020 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coolink13Send a Private Message to coolink13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Guru for the input and advice. The front suspension and everything looks great. The only area I would like to check is behind the plastic in the rear.
coolink13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2020 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coolink13Send a Private Message to coolink13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

coolink13

51 posts
Member since Sep 2020
Thank you Guru for the input and advice. The front suspension and everything looks great. The only area I would like to check is behind the plastic in the rear. If that is good? I may pull the trigger. Has anyone on this forum done anything with 3.1 or 2.8 to get any serious power out of it? With out breaking the Bank.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2020 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You won't get any "serious" power out of a 2.8 or a 3.1. But the 3.1 will provide a little more fun than the 2.8 due to the torque increase.
(I built up a 3.4. It probably made about 200 HP at the crank, according to the "butt dyno". But it was expensive. I had $800 just in head work.)
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2020 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where do you live? Lots of Fiero owners in Massachusetts...and RI...
coolink13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2020 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coolink13Send a Private Message to coolink13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I live in Hudson MA
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2020 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

You won't get any "serious" power out of a 2.8 or a 3.1. But the 3.1 will provide a little more fun than the 2.8 due to the torque increase.
(I built up a 3.4. It probably made about 200 HP at the crank, according to the "butt dyno". But it was expensive. I had $800 just in head work.)

It looks like am not the only one who made that mistake. With a full 3.4L rebuild, Ross Forged pistons, porting, Comp Cam & Kit, Sprint Manifolds and a Garrett T-3 turbo; I probably have $4000 in that engine. Its runs great and has plenty of power but the 3800SC edges it out for half the cost and gets far better mileage. This project started during the early craze for the 3800 swaps so that's how it goes.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock