Question regarding GT model... by CSM842M4
Started on: 10-19-2020 10:32 AM
Replies: 13 (321 views)
Last post by: Awalker W02 on 10-19-2020 08:48 PM
CSM842M4

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While talking with a co-worker who is a general all-around car guy but not a Fiero fanatic, he made the assertion that once the GT model debuted, either body style could be had with the GT designation. My initial thought was to throw down the "BS" card, but as I didn't/don't have that specific intel, I thought it best to find out before potentially showing my @$$. What's the verdict or consensus among the forum members?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 1985 "GT" was a notchback. In 1986 (1/2?) they started the GT fastback. So in a round about way, your guy isn't wrong.
Awalker W02

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

The 1985 "GT" was a notchback. In 1986 (1/2?) they started the GT fastback. So in a round about way, your guy isn't wrong.

Yes and no. In 86 the release of the gt was held back and there were notch back gts in 86.
CSM842M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, ThunderstruckGT. Yeah, I just looked and found the 10+-years-old discussion on this forum on the same topic. I kinda didn't want my guy to be right, even in a roundabout or partial way, 'cause it seems like he's right more often than not and kinda smug about it. Oh, well. I guess he can have this particular bone...
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Awalker W02:

In 86 the release of the gt was held back and there were notch back gts in 86.

I'm not sure I've ever seen one.

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Almost positive there was no 86 GT notchback, I think that's why the 86 GT is sometimes called the 86 1/2 GT, the fastback bodystyle was delayed until halfway through the model year. You could get the V6 as an option on the 86 SE, which shared the body style with the 85 GT, but had black ground effects instead of the gray.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CSM842M4:

Thanks, ThunderstruckGT. Yeah, I just looked and found the 10+-years-old discussion on this forum on the same topic. I kinda didn't want my guy to be right, even in a roundabout or partial way, 'cause it seems like he's right more often than not and kinda smug about it. Oh, well. I guess he can have this particular bone...

Next time you talk to your car guy friend, ask him which heads breathed better between the Ford Coyote 5.0 4 valve (Circa 2011) and the 351 Cleveland 4 bbl (2 valve) (Circa 1970)........(The answer is the 2 valve Cleveland heads breath better on the intake side (They suck on the exhaust simply because it has to turn down hard to clear the Mustang Spring towers)

"But...but....the four valve heads are supposed to breath better!!!"

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 10-19-2020).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Almost positive there was no 86 GT notchback, I think that's why the 86 GT is sometimes called the 86 1/2 GT,

No 86 GT notchback I ever heard of...
86 Fastback GTs came with 4-speeds and later in production the Getrag 5-speed manual was used with all V6 engines (or automatic).
Most often the 86 1/2 is mentioned to denote the later 86 GT 5-speed models.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-19-2020).]

Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I apologize for my prior comment it was suppose to say no notchback Gt’s were ever made in 86.
andreww

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He's wrong, but technically right. The GT was ONLY available in the style that it came in, notchback with aero from 85-86 and fastback from 86.5 -88. That said, the only difference was the engine and body style. I believe the V6 was available in the coupe for all years but 84. In 88 the Formula was released, basically a GT with a coupe body. Your friend is only wrong in referring to it as a GT.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Awalker W02:

I apologize for my prior comment it was suppose to say no notchback Gt’s were ever made in 86.

That's correct, however, what outwardly would appear to be an 85GT body was used for the 86 and 87 SE models, so I can see where some might mistake it for a GT.

The major differences in the 85GT and the 86 and 87 SE's are 86 and 87 had a 3rd brake light and auxilliary gauges. They were also available as a 4-cylinder while retaining the aero body cladding.

PFF
System Bot
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

That's correct, however, what outwardly would appear to be an 85GT body was used for the 86 and 87 SE models, so I can see where some might mistake it for a GT.

The major differences in the 85GT and the 86 and 87 SE's are 86 and 87 had a 3rd brake light and auxilliary gauges. They were also available as a 4-cylinder while retaining the aero body cladding.

The 86 and 87 se’s also kept the grooved side moldings as well. Especially odd for 87 when everything else went round.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To be fair while there are different body panels there is only a few mechanical differenced between all these cars to an outsider.

I suspect he saw a 2M6 SE from 86 and assumed it was a GT. Other than a lower FX color and the different springs and steering ratio you can't see they look very much like a 1985 GT.

It is like my 1985 2M6 SE under the skin is just a GT with a different nose and no FX.

We should cut people slack on the outside of the Fiero Hobby as the differences are small and average people don't obsess over does it have a Y99 suspension or a WS6 suspension.

It is getting picky with outsiders like this that make them think we are crazy.
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

It is getting picky with outsiders like this that make them think we are crazy.

Oh I thought just being a Fiero owner put is on that category already. Hehe

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock