Verticle doors by Easy8
Started on: 09-29-2020 05:33 AM
Replies: 13 (333 views)
Last post by: sourmash on 10-02-2020 08:33 AM
Easy8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2020 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking to swap to these style doors. The question is which kit to use and any pros and cons of them. Also for those that are using them already do you live ve or hate them. Would be bad to drop the cash and find out they are annoying as hell.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2020 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first few Fieros to do it were the ones pioneering vertical doors aftermarket so all were probably once designed for a fiero. In order to have the wow factor you need to finish modding the car so it isn't only modification. You want to also have ones that open both ways up or regular opening as you are not going to flex these after a while and will likely lose interest in them. [URL=https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pontiac-Fiero-84-88-Lambo-Style-Vertical-Doors-VDI-Bolt-On-Hinge-Kit/163723358668?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D58de75e1f91b4887b92a994f950c2453%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D4%26 rkt%3]

Bolt on still requires you to remove bumper as need to take off front fenders to install and of course the doors that is half the car.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 09-29-2020).]

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2020 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed that same kit on my car a couple of years ago.
I removed the outer door skin, which you almost have to in order to reach the bolts that attach the hinges to the door.
Also, the front fenders.
It`s not too bad. I did the second door quite a bit faster than the first.
You basically shim the door up with it closed to keep,it in place.
I shimmed the bottom, used the strike to hold the rear of the door in place and taped the top in.
Then you just remove the stock hinges and replace with the verticle hinges.
There are about 3 adjustments that have to be made to make it swing right and to hang right.
You have to notch the inner part of the front fender to clear the gas strut.
You also have to cut the belt moulding at an angle to clear when the door is opened.
I liked mine, popular draw at shows.
You can open the door enough to get out wihout raising it, which is usually what I did unless at a show.
To me the door was a little heavy to open and close when sitting in the car. Not much leverage.
The hinges are really stout and I found the doors really didn`t sway or flex much all through the operating range.

Here is one of the threads about these.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/096630.html

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 09-29-2020).]

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2020 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

You can open the door enough to get out without raising it, which is usually what I did unless at a show.
To me the door was a little heavy to open and close when sitting in the car. Not much leverage.

That's what I noticed on many cars that have aftermarket vertical door hinges installed.
They couldn't really swing them up like on a car that was designed with them.
So they opened them normally, got out, then swung the door up.
Saw them even on a Hummer. Kinda pointless.

Basically they're just a "look at me" addition.
But some people like that.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2020 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

That's what I noticed on many cars that have aftermarket vertical door hinges installed.
They couldn't really swing them up like on a car that was designed with them.
So they opened them normally, got out, then swung the door up.
Saw them even on a Hummer. Kinda pointless.

Basically they're just a "look at me" addition.
But some people like that.

They are kind of a "look at me" item but like I said they show well at car shows.
I get a kick out of the kids reaction that are with their dads.
There was one little boy that pointed out that the Fiero was a racecar because it had that thing (which he didn`t know the word for ) on the back decklid.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2020 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just think about it this way.

They are more a fad than a benefit here. Think about how much you like them now and then how you may feel about them later as the fad gets played out.

It is like the guys who put neon under the car and the guys who painted the 80's stripes on their cars in the 80's that really dated the look of the car as it got older.

As to the rest it is personal preference. To me it was just another way to make for more rattles and issues later. The money going into the doors could do a lot of work on the rest of the car.

I look back today at some of the things that have come and gone since I bought my car in 1985 and I am glad I passed on so many of them. What I have now is still in style today and did not have problems with looking aged.

Good styling never goes out but fads come and go.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post09-29-2020 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's sorta like when we were 14-15 and Ted Nugent's Double Live Gonzo first hit. We thought his live profanity and antics were seriously cool. Watchin Youtubes of those antics today makes me a little embarrassed when Europe was watching too. The doors look Glam band to me. Double Live Gonzo as an album is still pretty epic and made a permanent mark on Rock music the same way that Frampton Comes Alive moved the bar. The Fiero is great without the later Glam band stuff.
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2020 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

... a permanent mark on Rock music the same way that Frampton Comes Alive moved the bar.

Still one of my all-time favorite albums. I was working as an assistant manager in a record store and was there in the audience at Winterland the night some of the songs on the album were recorded. Great memories!
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2020 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that I have kept my car 35 years I am more thankful for what I did not do vs what I did do.

It is hard to undo a Flock of Seagulls like modification.

In your 20’s in the 80’s you can get some odd ideas with out staying power.

I am glad I did TTops? Though when I went to get them installed I tough what the hell am I doing letting someone cut my new car in half! At least it was Cars and Concepts shop doing it.
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-29-2020 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rsvl-Rider:Still one of my all-time favorite albums. I was working as an assistant manager in a record store and was there in the audience at Winterland the night some of the songs on the album were recorded. Great memories!

Fantastic! Gotta be one of the all time historically notable recordings ever released in Rock.
nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2020 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you have to open the normally for a foot then swing them up, its silly. Spend your money elsewhere like the engine so you dont have to sit at the cruise lot with your doors open.

[This message has been edited by nosaint (edited 09-29-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
Easy8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2020 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This car is defiantly a look at me car as it is now. (LT1 in a chop top) I see the point of people not using the swing up part of these doors. Kind of tosses a doubt into putting them on. I am not looking forward to pulling off the fenders or door skins either.
Queso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2020 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuesoSend a Private Message to QuesoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My son saved the money to make vertical doors the first mod in his 88 gt. I asked him what he liked most and least about them. His response:
I like how they look a LOT MORE (than original) and it’s way better for pictures, also it’s a lot easier to get out in tight spaces, least is that they’re heavier than I thought they would be.
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-02-2020 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can see how a much younger person is more likely to want this. I've only seen them in pics and I'd just rather not (see them). Vertical door Fieros are just not my bag, baby. ~ Austin Powers

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock