Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Need to find Right Front 84-87 Caliper in good condition.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Need to find Right Front 84-87 Caliper in good condition. by hyperv6
Started on: 09-06-2020 04:24 PM
Replies: 13 (336 views)
Last post by: formulaWA on 10-02-2020 05:18 PM
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2020 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone know where you can find a good calipers for a reasonable price?

All the places I checked are out and waiting for cores.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2020 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't you rebuild your existing caliper or is it too far gone? If the piston bore is in good shape, you should be able to clean it up, put in a new piston and kit and be good to go.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2020 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I was switching my car over to 88 brakes I was able to get a right rear caliper (Fully rebuilt) from Centric....Called their Tech line and they found the parts and assembled one for me.

As a suggestion, these parts are getting hard to find, and yet they have to be rebuilt every so often....When you see a Fiero in the JY go grab some SPARE calipers off of it and then, when you need to rebuild the caliper, you will have a spare to send off while still able to drive the Fiero (I actually have grabbed 2 sets of 88 calipers that I am holding for the Golden Gate Fiero club)
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2020 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The threads where the line goes in is stripped. It we can’t find anything we will try a Helicoil. Did some checking this is a common issue on aluminum calipers and even Baer brakes says an heilicoil is an approved repair on their calipers.

Cores are scarce for the 84-87 cars. 88 brakes calipers are easy to find.
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2020 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you mean the banjo bolt? I've seen helicoils used for that repair before. I'd suggest taking the caliper off so you can make sure that the coil goes in square. Also, Think about rebuilding the caliper to make sure you flush out all the swarf you're likely to get when you drill the hole for the helicoil. (Suggest that you rebuild both at the same time. The fronts are pretty easy and the kits are pretty inexpensive.)

I'm sure I don't need to tell you but when replacing the brakeline, always use new copper crush washers. Some folks have tried to "cheap-out" and use the old washer. Usually you get a leak and when you tighten the bolt you wind up with a stripped hole. (guess how I know this...) :-)
------------------
Mike in Sydney

edited for spelling

[This message has been edited by Mike in Sydney (edited 09-07-2020).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2020 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:

I'm sure I don't need to tell you but when replacing the brakeline, always use new copper crush washers. Some folks have tried to "cheap-out" and use the old washer. Usually you get a leak and when you tighten the bolt you wind up with a stripped hole. (guess how I know this...) :-)

Mike, did you anneal the old copper washers before re-using? I'm among those who like to "cheap-out" ... and I've never had a problem with re-used copper crush washers.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2020 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:

Do you mean the banjo bolt? I've seen helicoils used for that repair before. I'd suggest taking the caliper off so you can make sure that the coil goes in square. Also, Think about rebuilding the caliper to make sure you flush out all the swarf you're likely to get when you drill the hole for the helicoil. (Suggest that you rebuild both at the same time. The fronts are pretty easy and the kits are pretty inexpensive.)

Yes I will pull off my only real concern was finding a coil that was the right size as not to give me too little copper to cover. Also I expect to clip the coil as it will be longer than the hole.

I put a steel braided line on and the hose went into the index notch and I did not check the off set on the block going to the caliper. It was my bad as I should have looked. It was not a major off set so I missed it,

Yes new washers!

Found a used caliper for back up if needed.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 09-07-2020).]

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2020 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Mike, did you anneal the old copper washers before re-using? I'm among those who like to "cheap-out" ... and I've never had a problem with re-used copper crush washers.

No. That's where I screwed up. But I now keep a handfull in the parts bin. I never throw the old ones out, though, so if I ever run out I have some to anneal and reuse.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2020 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Emory cloth and new bolt with washers corrected the issue on the leak.

I think the paint just eats up the rings in the caliper and prevented them sealing.

I got the intake back on and the car fired up for the first time in over 20 years. It appears to be running well.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2020 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Hey Patrick; I searched "annealing copper washers" in all categories & got nuthin. Details?

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2020 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When copper washers are used they can get hard then don't seal very well. Annealing "softens" the copper so you can reuse it. To anneal the washer, I use a MAP gas torch to heat the washer to a cherry red colour. I keep it at that temp for a couple of minutes and then I drop it into a pan of room temperature water. When it can be picked up with your bare hands, the process is complete. The washer is now "soft" and ready to be used. (BTW, "soft" is a relative term.)

Others may do it differently but this has worked for me..

(Edited for spelling)

------------------
Mike in Sydney

[This message has been edited by Mike in Sydney (edited 09-13-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2020 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can buy 84-87 front calipers here with no core.

Caliper online
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2020 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The link is to the 88 calipers.

But the fiero store showed in stock again if anyone needs a caliper.
formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2020 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They also have 84-87

84 87 calipers

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock