Headlights by hunter29
Started on: 07-12-2020 07:47 PM
Replies: 25 (1483 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 09-09-2023 07:45 PM
hunter29

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did a search, found nothing, but you guys must have talked about headlight upgrades or better lights, what you guys have to say about that? I would not mind better brighter lights.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87_FieroGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been running these LEDs for over 2 years. I bought them on Amazon. I'm sure there must be better stuff on the market now, but they work very well. Literally like night and day. They have both high and low beam functions. I've never been flashed or yelled at by anyone. They are plug and play.

------------------

1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, Black w/Beechwood interior
Featured in the 2018 Fiero Store calendar month of May
2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI S

hunter29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks I'll look into that.

[This message has been edited by hunter29 (edited 07-12-2020).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2020 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Dim" HL can be one to several problems.
Many don't fix them and new or "upgraded" HL can have same problems and even have a fire because of crap wiring.
See my Cave, Headlights

⚠️ A lot of Amazon Ebay and other LED HL are illegal. Worse, often have bogus DOT mark.
When you only see this on HL lens...

Is a counterfeit and illegal.

Look at any legal HL every mark "printed" on lenses is required to be legal including name/logo from the maker.
Bottom of HL page has 1 example showing a full DOT string/code for HL.

Very few aftermarket LED HL are actually DOT listed and legal. Most have a high cost like $200 $300 or more.
Recent cheaper ones now have tested for DOT, one example in this thread but many iffy to poor reviews on amazon and others.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/098299-2.html

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2020 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87_FieroGT:

I've been running these LEDs for over 2 years. I bought them on Amazon. I'm sure there must be better stuff on the market now, but they work very well. Literally like night and day. They have both high and low beam functions. I've never been flashed or yelled at by anyone. They are plug and play.

Do they somehow direct the beam pattern? If you could, any pics of the pattern on say.. a garage door?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-21-2020).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2020 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting i remember when bought some halo and headlights for about $10 and never saved or shared it never to find it again.
PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2020 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hunter29:

Thanks I'll look into that.

I am surprised the Ogre didn't tell you this was a bad idea. Especially on main beam. :0)
87_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2020 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Do they somehow direct the beam pattern? If you could, any pics of the pattern on say.. a garage door?

Haven't got any pictures like that and I don't take it out often at night, but I did have my wife snap this picture taken on a dark road shortly after I installed them.

The light is most certainly not as focused as the OE headlamps, but it's also not as scattered as you might think it could be. It is much brighter and whiter.

I've never had any complaints from other drivers and it's nice knowing I'm being seen by the monstrous SUVs that prowl this area. It's also much easier on my aging eyes.

------------------

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2020 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Haven't got any pictures like that and I don't take it out often at night, but I did have my wife snap this picture taken on a dark road shortly after I installed them.

The light is most certainly not as focused as the OE headlamps, but it's also not as scattered as you might think it could be. It is much brighter and whiter.

I've never had any complaints from other drivers and it's nice knowing I'm being seen by the monstrous SUVs that prowl this area. It's also much easier on my aging eyes.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE
They don't flash you or otherwise complain mean nothing. You're lighting trees and Back of sign(s) to easily take picture = lights are likely blinding others.

Is why 2.5 wanted that pic. Such pic's show light pattern especially on Low Beam.

For Traditional DOT "Sealed Beam" HL ("Standard" and Halogens), Both Beams can light up Face of road signs including above a road but the road signs has reflective finishes for this.
Newer types w/ tighter cutoff, the LB have a harder time to light signs mounted high above or left side of roads. The "kink" cutoff allows more light to the right.
Legal High Beams don't cutoff but still focus enough won't light trees above or way off the road sideways.
See http://www.vehiclergb.com/news/blog-a-7391744.html for RHT DOT and ECE cutoff examples plus LHT ECE cutoff for UK and others.
ETA-->Seems example cutoff link sells many iffy to illegal HL even when have that page. Is one of best showing LB cutoff in 1 short page.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-25-2020).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the reply
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put these in mine with 60/55 Hella Xenon bulbs

https://www.rallylights.com...on-headlamp-kit.html

I also put replays into the wiring to the bulbs so that the hi/low switch switches the relay and the power to the bulbs goes via the relay. Since my battery is up front it made the path from the power source (battery) to the load (bulb) a lot shorter.
Not as good as high power leds maybe but much better than stock/silverstars.
PFF
System Bot
87_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2020 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

I put these in mine with 60/55 Hella Xenon bulbs

https://www.rallylights.com...on-headlamp-kit.html

I also put replays into the wiring to the bulbs so that the hi/low switch switches the relay and the power to the bulbs goes via the relay. Since my battery is up front it made the path from the power source (battery) to the load (bulb) a lot shorter.
Not as good as high power leds maybe but much better than stock/silverstars.

Funny you post this. After reading some of the input here, I revisited available lighting options and ordered new Hella (003427291) conversion lights, LEDs, and other hardware to overhaul the lights again. Still waiting on parts, but I'll update folks with the results once I'm done. All told, I have about $240 invested in this new project so far. Stay tuned.

------------------

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2020 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Funny you post this. After reading some of the input here, I revisited available lighting options and ordered new Hella (003427291) conversion lights, LEDs, and other hardware to overhaul the lights again. Still waiting on parts, but I'll update folks with the results once I'm done. All told, I have about $240 invested in this new project so far. Stay tuned.

Does the Hella Bucket direct the beam down from other drivers?
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2020 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can swing it, look for the slim pop ups. They have a very defined projection.
I wouldn’t have a Fiero without them.

da.slyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2020 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

They don't flash you or otherwise complain mean nothing. You're lighting trees and Back of sign(s) to easily take picture = lights are likely blinding others.

I'm fairly certain if lights have been blinding others, people would have flashed them. There is still a very large percentage of people who are always very eager to remind others they are being blinded.
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2020 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My LPBs use 60mm Hellas... which have a cut off line which helps NOT blinding oncoming cars...
Here are some of my customers cars with my LPB kits installed..

regards
Danyel

------------------

My PFF Store
Black Widow Build Thread 2007 - 2014
Tylers Toy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2020 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

My LPBs use 60mm Hellas... which have a cut off line which helps NOT blinding oncoming cars...

regards
Danyel

Still thinking of doing these someday. Which 60mm lights do you recommend? Also ho much is your kit?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-30-2020).]

87_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2020 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Does the Hella Bucket direct the beam down from other drivers?

I haven't installed them yet so I can't comment on my experience with how the light projects, but it does meet SAE and DOT requirements. Here is a link to the Hella product page.

Vision Plus 7"x6" Sealed Beam Conversion Headlamp

------------------

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2020 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hella makes many parts including HL for OEM so isn't like most crap China HL from Ebay etc.

Hella, trucklite, and other DOT/SAE Shells only are legal and made to work w/ correct bulb number. Think is 9003 as Hella page doesn't say.
All standard 9003 and other bulbs have correct LB cut off for US. Is the Bulbs that have the cut off but works w/ the shell to generate correct LB and HB patterns.

9003 are close to "Silverstar" etc "High Performance" H6054 Sealed Beam but you only replace the bulb when blown.
Problem is when you have either, HL need Relays or OE wiring can/will have problems some covered in cave HL page.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 08-04-2020).]

87_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2020 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I finally completed installing my new LEDs in the new Hella conversion housings.While there, I refinished my rusty buckets.

Took the car to a subterranean parking garage to try and find a dark place to test the lights. Got a shot of the light pattern against a wall from about 6 feet away. You can see a nice cut off line that was not there on my prior LEDs. The other shot in the garage was more difficult to see, but appeared to cast the light very well on the ground. I'll need to test it at night in the same area as my prior night driving picture for comparison later.

I'm happy with the results so far. They maintain a stock appearance, but the lighting is white and bright, which is what I was going for. Final judgement will be after a drive at night.

Here is a comparison of the Halogen bulb to the Lasfit 9003/H4 LEDs I used. LED is rated at 6000 lumens and 6000k color temp.

Refinished my rusty buckets.

Headlight fitted with LED.

Headlight fitted with LED and dust boot. Had to open up a hole in the boot for the LED fan.

All assembled

Installed in the car.

Light patter and cut off.

------------------

Chief08

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2020 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have tried LED bulbs in a couple of my other vehicles, and while they were very bright, they didn't really project the light down the road very well. Do you guys notice this issue with your LEDs?
PFF
System Bot
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2020 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The factory headlights left much to be desired for night driving on unlit roads. I prefer the look of traditional headlights over the LED headlights so I used a pair of 4 x 6 Hella H4 headlights with 55/60 halogen bulbs with the Tony Kania-doublec4 low profile headlight mod. The Hella 4 x 6 headlights are ECE lights, the beam pattern is excellent and the car looks much better with the low profile look. The Hellas are a quality product and the mod is not hard or very costly with Tony's and doublec4's write ups as a guide. For me it was well worth the effort. I don't drive at night very much but when I do I can see very good.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/085387.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...160323-1-076247.html
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2020 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since we're talking headlights... shameless plug for my own... this is the third revision of my kit

https://via-autoworks.my-on...002281_20063234.aspx

This latest version features:

► True poly-carbonate lenses
► Improved sealing from weather and elements
► ABS formed housing
► Anodized aluminum brackets
► Improved fit and finish all round
► Easier to aim headlight mechanism
►Lighter weight than previous versions

If you want a set... best bet is to go through my website... I don't check my PMs here frequently enough.

------------------

Check out my build and my website!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

Nzorn2009

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2023 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nzorn2009Send a Private Message to Nzorn2009Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you still making these? I'd love a set

Originally posted by Danyel:

regards
Danyel

rebeck02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2023 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rebeck02Send a Private Message to rebeck02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are still making them, I would like a set as well. Thank you. reb (Roger)
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2023 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While I love the look of LED's and the dual headlight conversion, I just used a set of direct fit 5 x7 Truck-lites that use replaceable Halogen bulbs. I did this about 8 years ago. Today they are now available in DOT LED versions. My Fiero is driven 95% during daylight hours so I saw no need for a further upgrade but if folks want to go the extra mile they can also fit adaptive headlights.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock