Two questions.. by hunter29
Started on: 07-04-2020 09:19 PM
Replies: 4 (274 views)
Last post by: hunter29 on 07-12-2020 07:44 PM
hunter29

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the guys (if any) who drive there cars no more than a 1000 miles a year, how often do you change the oil?

Based on time and not mileage how long would you run your belts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lets assume you have a new car and drive very little...

Oil "wears out" over time once used at all.
Example: If you only have short trips can be worse because oil can't get hot enough long enough to drive off moisture and gas that blows by the pistons.

Belts "wears out" fast if pulleys rust or oil and other crap on them.
See my Cave, Serpent Belt Most applies to V belts too.

related...
Water pump, brakes and some other parts don't like not driving for weeks or months.
Coolant and Brake Fluid keeps a microscopic film in normal operation on WP shaft and Brake (and clutch) pistons to lube and protect the seals.

Now add 10+ year old cars often have weak coolant, wet brake fluid, and other issues making more problems.
50/50 coolant mix can be weak after 3 - 5 years because rust blocking etc wears out even parked. See my Cave, Coolant Fill (You can't use Dexcool and others in cars that have "Green Coolant" and think will last longer then 3-5 years.)
Brake Fluid gets wet sucking water from air thru every tiny seem and worse if has damaged rubber hoses etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-05-2020).]

hunter29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for that, I am aware of it all, I was just curious as to what other people do.
87_FieroGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I drive my car about 500 miles a year, mostly in spring and summer, but year round as the weather allows. I change my oil once a year. I generally change the oil at the beginning of spring for the new driving season. I use Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil.

------------------

1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, Black w/Beechwood interior
Featured in the 2018 Fiero Store calendar month of May
2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI S

hunter29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87_FieroGT:

I drive my car about 500 miles a year, mostly in spring and summer, but year round as the weather allows. I change my oil once a year. I generally change the oil at the beginning of spring for the new driving season. I use Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil.

Thank you, I do the same, 500/600 miles a year as its looking so far. Mobile 1 this first year, may go to Amsoil next year as I know a dealer..

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock