Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Are Fieros really going up in value? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Are Fieros really going up in value? by Cliff Pennock
Started on: 07-03-2020 08:53 AM
Replies: 44 (1848 views)
Last post by: sledcaddie on 07-13-2020 02:52 PM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2020 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As you may or may not know, at the top of The Mall section there's a lists of all Fieros for sale on eBay. The thing that strikes me is the number of $10K+ Fieros listed. In fact, there are only 3 Fieros listed under $5K. There are even two listed for $23K now. Granted, one of them is a very, very nice choptop, but the other is an ordinary white GT with 45K miles on it.

So do Fieros really sell for those prices? And why have they become such high priced cars all of a sudden?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2020 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've noticed this recently around my area. Finding Fieros I'd consider parts cars for sale in $2,000 range and average condition ones double that.
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2020 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They have always fluctuated. As of now, they are on an uptick.

With the release of the new Corvette, I believe it's a new appreciation for a mid-engine "American" made sports car. Being that the Fiero is one of those as well as the first American made, mass produced mid-engine sports car, people are finally paying them some well deserved respect.
formulaWA

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2020 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Big difference between what people are asking and what they are selling for. Asking prices maybe going up but selling prices are not. Check Ebay completed sales.
I have a 2k original miles showroom condition Formula up for 10k for the past couple of years with no interest. There is another local Formula with 12k original miles up for 7k for the past few years and no interest either.....
FieroMontreal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2020 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see these listings all over the place but I never see the cars actually sell.

I've been on the market for a low KM 5 speed 88GT in Canada to replace my low KM 86 2M6. I've put aside $10k Canadian for one and although that would have been possible a few years ago owners are now asking nearly that much for a 88 GT with 200,000km. I've seen cars listed between 15-20k being relisted year after year and never actually selling.

I do think they are worth more than what they were however the fact that none are actually selling might be a sign that owners are over valuing their cars or over estimating the demand. As someone mentioned earlier what used to be a $1500-$2000 car is now being listed for 6-7-8k and just sitting there. Cars with more realistic price tags still seem to be moving. I sold an 87 Coupe last year, listed it about half price from all the other coupes and it still took about a month to sell.

FormulaWA, I've seen your ad over and over again on Kijiji. If I wasn't so fixated on getting the manual "GT" I've always wanted growing up I would have bought that Formula when it was listed for 10k. What a nice car.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2020 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

They have always fluctuated. As of now, they are on an uptick.

With the release of the new Corvette, I believe it's a new appreciation for a mid-engine "American" made sports car. Being that the Fiero is one of those as well as the first American made, mass produced mid-engine sports car, people are finally paying them some well deserved respect.

I believe you have hit the nail on the head.......Maybe also a bit of a relaxation of the good ole Car & Drivel "Hate US- especially small US made mid-engined cars from the 80s" BS.....

Zentaury

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2020 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZentaurySend a Private Message to ZentauryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don’t think is the trend of the Corvette.

I feel more like the people that bought them (+50 year old now) with the “car investment” in mind (heated garage, yearly fluid changes, not driving them often) or that performed a restoration to “flip the car” are now trying to sell them, but the cars had never appreciated in price, actually they stayed the same or worst with the inflation, because even those cars will need one major maintenance service done if they are purchased. They want to recover their investment and those car are not being sold.

The people that kept the car without much maintenance but the car was sitting for a long time with low mileage still let it go for a couple thousands.

The trend is going with the new generation buying nostalgia items. They don’t buy 60s 70s Mopar, Chevy or similar.

Those that grew up with 80s cars and now want to buy a Foxbody, 944, DeLorean, and the ones from the. 90s want the Miata, Supra and Skyline. Those are the cars that are going up in value. E30 went up 10-15 years ago, and now the E46 are going up too.

On Instagram/YouTube is a growing group of 20-30 years old people that are buying all of those cars that I mentioned and doing restomods and swaps, and they get the medium priced cars that not require a big amount of work to get them in decent condition. Their followers are buying the lowered priced that need more work as project cars. That is what is moving the market.

The expensive ones that are garage queens are still sitting there.

[This message has been edited by Zentaury (edited 07-03-2020).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2020 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is really criminal the damage that was done by C&D and the other biased road tests that claimed the Fiero was a "Three-legged dog with mange"......Was the Fiero perfect? NO!! But go check out an old Lotus/Pantera/MG/TVR......You'd be lucky to keep all the parts in the same GARAGE after a couple of decades!

I have taken several friends/coworkers/acquaintances for a ride in my Fiero...they almost always react with surprise that A) It still runs, B) Hasn't burst into flames, and C) "Wait....This is a (Basically) Stock Fiero? I never realized they performed so well!!"

Then I let them read the 1985 GT R&T test and the 1987 Peter Egan GT test and they state "I never read that! That makes it sound like a really good car!"

Our cars should be much higher in value.......They are directly comparable to mid-80s RX7s and 300ZXs.......(The non-turbo variants)
The Art Doctor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2020 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The Art DoctorClick Here to visit The Art Doctor's HomePageSend a Private Message to The Art DoctorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So many listings on Ebay are dealers or consignment dealers. They are the ones that have been for sale for years at $16k and up.

The real question is what else does that money buy? For your casual old car sucker 16k will get a lot of desirable toys. A fiero is generally not on that list. Muscle car yes, plastic pontiac no. If you actually want and are seaking out a fiero there are plenty to go around, which along with said low demand keeps the prices down.

The middle ground is hard to find, garage queen or field car seem to be common but well maintained drivers are thin on the ground and do command a premium. But that premium seems to stall out at $5000. Above that they just dont seem to sell.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2020 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The prices on good clean cars have been up but so have other models in similar classes.

The reality is the 80’s cars are still not worth much outside a good clean unmolested GN or Syclone.

Mustangs and Camaros and all the Japan sports coupes are dirt cheap. Even 944 models with no turbo are not very expensive.

Corvettes can be a bargin with low miles at $12-15k
hunter29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2020 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look here..

https://2a891866-b755-463e-...87b8ab95fa426f18.pdf

[This message has been edited by hunter29 (edited 07-03-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Are Fieros really going up in value?"
No.

Most "high dollar" Fieros and many others are:
  • Trying to "recover" cost or even make a profit for whatever mods etc. Worse, Many of these cars have problems, often very big problems, and pray to sell to a nube or others w/o a clue.
  • Owners w/o a clue or worse going by KBB and NADA "Book Value" that published by Cox et al that push fake numbers to Sell Used Cars by US Car Dealers.
  • Dealers and others selling "Rare" cars hoping anyone will buy at jacked prices.

I forget price (CL expired link) but this thread is only 1 example...
    What do you think about this Fiero https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/099403.html

Here's Why Buying a Used Car is So Expensive in the United States
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUwx3TEJuAs

------------------
    Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
    (Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-04-2020).]

• IP: Logged
    Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Why do some of you have these cars?

With all the bashing you do about them it's obvious you hate them.

Perhaps you should sell or even donate them to people that give a chit.

I can't believe this is a FIERO SITE

(Yeah, let the negs fly because I used my 1st. Amendment rights to speak the truth)
    sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
    User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2020 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Speaking for me, I don't know what you're talking about by example, because were there some posts negging the Fiero?
    cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
    Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    The posts are not negative about the Fiero. I agree with the posts that state that people who bought a Fiero 20-30 years ago and put them away, hoping that they are sitting on a pot of gold made a huge mistake. Fieros and Fiero parts are not an investment. Anyone with an ounce of financial sense can see that

However, that is not the same thing as bashing the car itself.

As to the original post, just because a car lists 15-20K , it doesn't mean it will ever sell for close to that price
    Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
    Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We own Fieros because they are styled nice and are an inexpensive automobile that won't break the bank. Its a fun car not an investment car. If you want to get into collecting "classic cars" Fieros are one of the cheapest options. Except for the 1988 GT's, I do not see prices escalating very much. Thanks to inaccurate news articles that lasted until production was halted, the fires that beset the early 84 models gave the brand a bad reputation. If you really want to know what Fieros are selling for go to eBay and do a search. I did and the prices for the 84-87 car average pretty low.
    ------------------
    " THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
    "THE COLUSSUS"
    87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
    " ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-06-2020).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2020 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Low mile GT and V6 cars are worth about what they were new. That is up from where they were as they were worth less than sticker price for years. I have seen a number of 88 GT models going for good prices.

As for modified cars some that are done well and documented they can go for good money. Many that are not documented hurt their values. Many hot rods are like this as buyers that know what was done will pay more.

Taste also comes into play as some cars are well done while some are not attractive to anyone other than another Fiero owner.

Many Fieros suffer that they are not worth much so people really do not put much in them. They can be lacking in complete or correct work. Let’s face it a good paint job can be more than many Fieros are worth.

But just go and look at 5he cars from the 80’s. Not many are worth much right now. Few are close to sticker price and many are not even to Fieto prices.

Sorry but 30 years ago is not that long in car years. It takes mor3 time for things to take off. Right now the 70’s cars like the TA are the hot market. Once these cars dry up things will move to the 80’s.

But not every Fiero is going to be worth a lot like not every 55 Chevy gained a lot of value. Condition, demand and supply will drive the value.

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
    Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2020 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    The first rule of used cars: They are worth whatever you can get for them.

------------------

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2020 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    "Low mile GT and V6 cars are worth about what they were new."

I have to disagree. Maybe in absolute value but if you take inflation into account for the period 1986 (middle of the Fiero manufacturing period) to the present, and you had invested $15,000 with an intention to match inflation, you would have around $35,000 today. I've not seen many $35,000 Fieros. What I'm trying to say is what others have said, Fieros are not an investment opportunity. I look at it this way: The cost of my 2 GTs + paint jobs + interior + big brakes + shipping to Australia is around $15K, U.S. The value to me is priceless because I'm an addict.

The costs of Fieros is going up compared to where it was 2 years ago. The rate of increase is even exceeding inflation and definitely is exceeding the amount of interest you would get from the bank so Cliff is right. The values are increasing. They will continue to increase as more are lost due to crashes, wrecks, fires, or just being "tucked away for an investment". After all, it's just supply and demand.
    ------------------
    Mike in Sydney

[This message has been edited by Mike in Sydney (edited 07-07-2020).]

da.slyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2020 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    While not exactly a Fiero, It really has surprised me how 80's Camaro/Firebirds have had ballooned for no reason in the last 8-9 years. While some are desirable and good condition like certain Fiero's I often find local Marketplace/craigslist listings trying to sell 80's Camaro's that have been in a field for 15 years, no engine or trans, with rust and rotten seats asking $2000 plus like there was a limited supply of them built (which is not true as I'm thinking close to a million of Camaro/Firebird were built 82-92).

I have agree a bit with the youtube craze driving up prices of all car types as many fine super cheap deals and try to Gas Monkey Garage them into profit. I also think a lot of great info is out there on swaps and Fiero mods that persuade people into thinking even an average car (Fiero) is worth a lot more than it is.
    hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2020 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:

I have to disagree. Maybe in absolute value but if you take inflation into account for the period 1986 (middle of the Fiero manufacturing period) to the present, and you had invested $15,000 with an intention to match inflation, you would have around $35,000 today. I've not seen many $35,000 Fieros. What I'm trying to say is what others have said, Fieros are not an investment opportunity. I look at it this way: The cost of my 2 GTs + paint jobs + interior + big brakes + shipping to Australia is around $15K, U.S. The value to me is priceless because I'm an addict.

The costs of Fieros is going up compared to where it was 2 years ago. The rate of increase is even exceeding inflation and definitely is exceeding the amount of interest you would get from the bank so Cliff is right. The values are increasing. They will continue to increase as more are lost due to crashes, wrecks, fires, or just being "tucked away for an investment". After all, it's just supply and demand.

Mike we are not going into investment values here. It was a simple observation that cars that sold for $15k American are now selling with low miles for the same or similar price.

That is better than many cars as inflation or not few ever get back to sticker value especially lower priced cars.

While the Fiero is never going to be a Shelby it is doing much better than most cars of it’s Era.

The Z24 Or Sunbird Are worth nothing. The Corvettes of the era were twice the price but even they are in the Teens price wise. The odd special Mustang is worth some money but 5he plain 5.0 is not worth much.

Finally not every Fiero is going to be worth much. The 5.0 cars are like the Fiero as condition and miles count. Hacked up and poorly modified are not in much demand.
    PFF
    System Bot
    Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2020 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:

I have.

While still all over the board with no rhyme or reason, I have seen '88 GT's with 1000 miles or less sell at auction for $32,400.00, $38,000.00 and $42.000.00. Yes, these may have still been technically "new" but it does show that prime "original" examples not only have an audience but will draw the money.
    Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2020 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thunderstruck GT

2664 posts
    Member since Oct 2015

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Mike we are not going into investment values here. It was a simple observation that cars that sold for $15k American are now selling with low miles for the same or similar price.

That is better than many cars as inflation or not few ever get back to sticker value especially lower priced cars.

While the Fiero is never going to be a Shelby it is doing much better than most cars of it’s Era.

The Z24 Or Sunbird Are worth nothing. The Corvettes of the era were twice the price but even they are in the Teens price wise. The odd special Mustang is worth some money but 5he plain 5.0 is not worth much.

Finally not every Fiero is going to be worth much. The 5.0 cars are like the Fiero as condition and miles count. Hacked up and poorly modified are not in much demand.

Most of what you are saying is FACT.

However, I suggest you look into the prices of the C4 Corvette. I have see nice Fiero GT's pull more money than many C4's.
    sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-07-2020 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    When we talk with people of our era about at first about the Fiero they behave as though we're a bit off for pretending a Fiero can be something they'd be interested in hearing about like the Camaro and Chevelle that might be. I'm not sure the Fiero is even 2nd tier hobby car in most minds.
    cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2020 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    In a number of ways the Fiero was superior to the C4 Vette......You could see the road in front of you, you get in and out of a Fiero like a human being (Rather than a snake slithering out of a C4), the Fiero was a (Properly) small vehicle, the Fiero had a tighter structure, the Fiero had a real instrument panel.....The list goes on!

The C4 Vette was the car that both showed what GM was capable of (Positive) and....once again, what GM was capable of (Negative)....and there were a lot of (Really stupid) negatives!

The Fiero was, up until the C8, the ONLY production mid-engine car made in the US....That alone should have made the car collectible.....But idiotic, obviously biased road tests that came out from 1986 to 1988 did so much damage; Case in point- The Fiero was the FIRST US car made using TQM...Yet, to talk to most car enthusiasts, the Fiero was a pile of junk that was lucky to make the 10,000 mile mark. (My car's record; Heater fan died at 10,000.....WW pump died at 24,000.......Clutch died at 55,000 (But I LEARNED on it).......Trany lost 2nd at 120,000 >>Otherwise, oil changes and new tires!)

Of course the Fire myth; Most people think that MILLIONS of Fieros burst into flames taking thousands of lifes with them.....When you tell them that there are only 260 documented fires they will not believe you.

And performance; Compared to the tiny MR2, the Fiero was a bit "Ham-fisted"....But compared to the mid-80s RX7 and 300ZX, the Fiero was actually a better car at a lower price. Only Hot Rod compared the Fiero to an RX7 (Fiero faster and Cheaper)

The Fiero will go down in history as the most (Un-justly) maligned car ever!

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 07-07-2020).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
    Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    I sold a collector grade car about 10 years ago, and from what I can tell its worth about the same today as it was then. Per the rules of inflation that would suggest that the value of collector fieros are still going down in value.
    Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
    Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I sold a collector grade car about 10 years ago, and from what I can tell its worth about the same today as it was then. Per the rules of inflation that would suggest that the value of collector fieros are still going down in value.

I would agree that the prices of Fieros are going down. The shrinking demographic of the people that buy cars in the collector/hobby market is the reason. Fieros used to be an inexpensive sporty car for the young hobbyist. Today the age group has shifted to an older audience with fewer young people entering it. Take a look at the archive posts when this forum started. There were many daily drivers back then. You'd be lucky to find 25% of the people that once posted in 1990 still here. This doesn't mean that the hobby is dying. Just becoming more compact.

------------------
    " THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
    "THE COLUSSUS"
    87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
    " ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
    Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2020 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    I cant agree there are less young owners. They just dont use Forums, they use more modern communications.
    Also I think values are going up somewhat.
    But all is not even across all of the Fieroverse and details and specifics matter.
    Also if anyone out there wants Fieros to grow or hold popularity, be sure and get out and be active in the car enthusiast community and Fiero community (in person and on many forms of communication) , and meet , and encourage some of the younger owners.

Pic just for attention
    hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2020 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    The truth is the entire auto hobby is in decline. I make my living in the performance aftermarket and the youth customers are in decline.

Number one reason is the social system has changed. It used to be cars where how we got to our social spots and our cars were our standard of who we were and what we were. Today kids put on head phones and play video games. They socialize over the web.

Mix that with the cost of most cars worth having or fixing up kids are priced out in most cases ,I go to cruise in’s and I am the youngest there any more, Kid want faster phones not cars as a whole. The car today is just a way to get to work.

I could buy a Chevelle SS in the 80’s for $2,000 and today $12K will not buy a good rusty one. Then add restoration and paint you can be to $25 K fast and it still not be a mint show car.

#1 don’t buy collector cars for profit unless you can buy the high demand models at the right price.

The problem with many Fiero models are they are not worth anything because of the condition. They may look goo in the eye of the owner but they are still not mint condition and that is what most collectors want. Second they want specific models. Finally they also look for rare or special models that hold interest like rare options or accessories that also have to be in good shape,

Now regular 4 cylinders or some custom one that is perfect in the eye of the beholder may not be perfect in the average buyers eye,

Over all as a percentage some Fieros enjoy a much better return than others, Not many other cars can say that, C5 Corvettes are cheap now because there are so many clean used ones and as they were bought new and never driven on a bad day, It is a buyers market and they are more than great cars for the money, This also has an effect on other models too as why pay a ton for a 4 cylinder Fiero when for a little more you can get a clean C5 with a V8.

I know I can Bert more for my car than I could 20 years ago, I have had offers so I know what I could see, But I also can wax my floor pan.
    Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2020 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pic just for attention
    [/QUOTE]

That’s my photo sir. Lol
    Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2020 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Awalker W02

179 posts
    Member since Jan 2020

Pic just for attention
    [/QUOTE]

That’s my photo sir. Lol
    PFF
    System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Awalker W02:

Pic just for attention

That’s my photo sir. Lol[/QUOTE]

Indeed, a good photo of Fieros participating in the car scene

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-10-2020).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
    Member since May 2007

Originally posted by hyperv6:

..with the cost of most cars worth having or fixing up kids are priced out in most cases..

I agree on that, many are sourcing parts used and cheap. Like folks did years ago on hotrods.
    Plus they dont seem as into going to car "shows" as they do just driving with a few friends, (which us folks who go to Fiero events see as the same thing combined) , possibly relating to the older crowd is part of it. Perhaps they dont feel competitive. But whatever the reason the car show scene will probabaly need to adapt a bit I think. To top that off there used to be alot of car events that didnt invite "later models" like Fieros.
    nero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neroSend a Private Message to neroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    So I usually do not post on these types of topics and I have not been around the Fiero community that long but I completely agree with Thunderstruck. I could honestly care less if the Fiero goes up in value or down in value. I am a Pontiac guy and I really liked the Fiero and enjoy working on them. However, since I have been part of the Fiero community almost every post I see about the 'value' of a Fiero gets bashed by this community. Anytime someone gets notice of an 'overvalued' Fiero it is completely bashed as to why they would ever ask that amount of money and that it is really worth $$$$ amount instead of $$$$$. Again I could really care less if the value of my Fiero went up or down, but the Fiero community plays a part in influencing the values of these cars and from all the post that I have seen it seems the consensus is to keep the values low.

(Yeah, let the negs fly because I used my 1st. Amendment rights to speak the truth)

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nero:

So I usually do not post on these types of topics and I have not been around the Fiero community that long but I completely agree with Thunderstruck. I could honestly care less if the Fiero goes up in value or down in value. I am a Pontiac guy and I really liked the Fiero and enjoy working on them. However, since I have been part of the Fiero community almost every post I see about the 'value' of a Fiero gets bashed by this community. Anytime someone gets notice of an 'overvalued' Fiero it is completely bashed as to why they would ever ask that amount of money and that it is really worth $$$$ amount instead of $$$$$. Again I could really care less if the value of my Fiero went up or down, but the Fiero community plays a part in influencing the values of these cars and from all the post that I have seen it seems the consensus is to keep the values low.

You took my point exactly as it was intended.

Thank you
    sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-10-2020 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Competition? What for? I'm old and showing a car or bringing a car to a meet didn't appeal to me much. I tried a couple of cruise-ins and shows, even a local club for a couple of meetings. The result was no and hell no some more. It was like a home-owners association with the politic games that were there.
    cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
    Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2020 06:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

Competition? What for? I'm old and showing a car or bringing a car to a meet didn't appeal to me much. I tried a couple of cruise-ins and shows, even a local club for a couple of meetings. The result was no and hell no some more. It was like a home-owners association with the politic games that were there.

Agreed. I like going for cruises but my experience with car shows is the same....

Bored wives pretending they want to be there.... Men who take stupid little plastic trophies and awards way too seriously... sitting in picnic chairs for hours with stern looks on their faces....hoping for admiration and compliments from strangers walking by. Some nameless radio station will be "live broadcasting" oldies from the 50's and 60's from a van with speakers that are way too loud.... and the crowd is largely over the hill people trying to overcome loss of hair and reduced testosterone levels with driving macho cars... The part that struck me the most, and I am not a young puppy either... is how little "fun" anyone was having. Very little social interaction even before Covid, very few laughs ... just people with serious looks on their faces staring ahead, displaying their $2 plastic trophies and awards as if they really meant anything in the real world... Definitely a strange scene! Cruises or races are fun- but I will skip car shows for sure..

And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch.. these are just MY observations and opinions...

[This message has been edited by cam-a-lot (edited 07-11-2020).]

Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2020 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

Agreed. I like going for cruises but my experience with car shows is the same....

Bored wives pretending they want to be there.... Men who take stupid little plastic trophies and awards way too seriously... sitting in picnic chairs for hours with stern looks on their faces....hoping for admiration and compliments from strangers walking by. Some nameless radio station will be "live broadcasting" oldies from the 50's and 60's from a van with speakers that are way too loud.... and the crowd is largely over the hill people trying to overcome loss of hair and reduced testosterone levels with driving macho cars... The part that struck me the most, and I am not a young puppy either... is how little "fun" anyone was having. Very little social interaction even before Covid, very few laughs ... just people with serious looks on their faces staring ahead, displaying their $2 plastic trophies and awards as if they really meant anything in the real world... Definitely a strange scene! Cruises or races are fun- but I will skip car shows for sure..

And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch.. these are just MY observations and opinions...

So I agree with you on so much of this... I care less about winning anything when I show my cars. It is about seeing the cars and the few people who enjoy seing them. The guys who want to win or show they have the biggest baddest what ever.. well I ignore them when I can. I tend to take my cars to the "cars and coffee" style show.. Show up park the car chat abit and leave when you are hot and tired. (crusie in, but in FL we do em in the morning before it gets nuclear out)

The fun to me comes in a couple of ways. When I show the stock car I get a kick of seeing some one my age (yes its a big number) who aways wanted a Fiero and watching them relive thier youth looking over the car and the ocasional youngster who asks what is it. Normally a short chat results from both. Now when I show the choptop.. things are even better.. I always get the question of what is it, who makes it, whats it worth...ect ect. This always leads to a short conversation and sometimes lenghtly explinations. However the most fun for us when we show the chop is the "expert car guru" who walks up to the chop and tells the people he is with that it is an old lambo or lotus or what ever.. The wife enjoys telling the "expert" it is a Pontiac Fiero. For some strange reason this type of person never wants to chat about the car.. my guess is they go see if they won a "$2 plastic trophy"

Now to the point of this thread.. I have not seen much of an upward trend in the price of Fieros.. I will say I am seeing less of them listed on craigslist and ebay but the prices seem to remain the same. That being said I am happy with where they are. I am one of those who always wanted one when I was 16, and look at them as a cool car not an investment. I am certain that I could not get out of the cars what I put into them but honestly do not care about that... I own my dream chop and the stock Fiero I drooled over as a teenager.

Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
    Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2020 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Prices are up in my area. I flip multiple every spring/summer/fall when I come across good deals. An '87 GT 5-spd with 67k new leather seat covers, carpet, tires and reclear and full buff $8100 from my yard. I spent $4600 on it total after refurbing it.

It all depends on your area, median income and presentation. Sold a few on bringatrailer as well at decent prices.
    RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
    Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Know what's funny?

If you put in the details of your Fiero on many of the classic car valuation sites you get dinged 10% for having a V6. What's up with that?
    Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
    next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
    PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
    Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock