Another of my turbo 2.2 ecotec videos by wftb
Started on: 06-21-2020 02:13 PM
Replies: 13 (242 views)
Last post by: wftb on 06-27-2020 09:48 PM
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2020 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.youtube.com/wat...7SQ&feature=youtu.be

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2020 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it! 👍

------------------
88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
84 IMSA wide body SE: 3800 Supercharged
Rear Engine Shop on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/fast88fiero

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2020 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks.
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool, what sort of gas mileage do you see on a typical journey?

The Art Doctor

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The Art DoctorClick Here to visit The Art Doctor's HomePageSend a Private Message to The Art DoctorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the ride.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The last long trip I took with this car, to Indianapolis and back. I averaged 40 mpg ( 3.78 L us gallon). Combined city hwy is usually around 30 mpg. My gas guage does not work so I am always figuring out mileage. I use my trip odometer to decide when to fill up.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2020 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car sounds great! Using the tranny that came with the Ecotec I assume?
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2020 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes it is the f23 that came with my first 2.2. From a 2004 cavalier. It still has the original clutch too. When I built up the newer engine, I ordered in a new clutch. When I compared it to the old clutch, I sent the new one back because the old one had no visible wear. At that point it had 80,000 KM on it. I like GM oem clutches.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2020 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish I had your motor. My car has a 3800 SC engine with some mods. It is fast, lots of torque, but I worry about blowing up the Getrag and it runs out of breath at around 5500 RPM. Your car sounds more like a traditional "sports car" and the tranny that came with it can put up with pretty much unlimited abuse. Plus the Ecotec has lots of aftermarket support to really bump up the power.

I think a 300-350 HP Ecotec would be an amazing engine swap for a Fiero. Fast, reliable, good on fuel, and fewer worries about blowing up axles or transmissions. I hope we meet one day and go for a spin!

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2020 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the comments. When I decided to go ecotec what I really liked was the way they rev. I have mine set to rev to 7000 and pulls strong right to the rev limiter. I could push it a bit higher but around 7400 or so is above what is reccomended for the stock valve springs. I don't know what kind of power it puts out, it has never been on a dyno. For my purposes it is fast enough so I am not too worried about getting more power out of it.

------------------
rear SLA suspension

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2020 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From the driver's perspective, assuming the same hp, what's the difference between a high-RPM engine with short gearing, versus a low-RPM engine with long gearing?

I guess I'm wondering what's the fixation with the redline number on the tach... the number doesn't seem so important to me. I read that tachometers on airliners read in % of redline.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 06-27-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2020 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess there is no easy answer to that question. But an engine that pulls strong to a 7000 Rpm redline is much more entertaining than one that dies at 5600 rpm. I can do 100 mph in 3rd gear. When I am on the road course in Grand Bend, I leave it in 3rd and drive the whole course.

------------------
rear SLA suspension

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2020 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If being able to hit high speeds without having to shift up is nice, the Fiero MY8 transmission would allow cam-a-lot's car to hit 100 mph in 3rd gear at 5500 RPM.

Just an idea.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2020 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
and the lower revs should have enough torque to leave it in 3rd all the way around the track. So it should behave similar, but you don't get the aural stimulation.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock