Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  What's the best route to take for my Fiero's engine?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What's the best route to take for my Fiero's engine? by Polaris aka Stardude
Started on: 06-15-2020 09:29 PM
Replies: 9 (403 views)
Last post by: sourmash on 06-21-2020 10:51 AM
Polaris aka Stardude

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2020 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Polaris aka StardudeSend a Private Message to Polaris aka StardudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So with me being the eternal stubborn genius that I am, I've decided to actually take a crack at fixing this thing, and for the guys who told me to forget about it and buy a new one, I understand why you told me what you told me. I get it, and I'm SUPER thankful for any advice/tips. I mean it. But when you stare at a car for almost your whole life, you watch videos of people driving it....it's almost criminal in my eyes to not try and fix it, and if at the end of the day it ends up being a total washout, at least I tried, right?
Anyhow, onto the main topic!
I recently found out that my 86 Fiero 2m6 requires a new engine, and I decided to take a look around and do some preliminary research, and I found out that Autozone actually has 4 options, and only 2 of them seem to be v6's. but heres whats confusing me, and here's the link: https://www.autozone.com/po...engine/pontiac/fiero

There's the Surefire Remanufactured Long Block for about 1200, and the Tri Star Long Block for about 2241 bucks. Do you guys have any advice for what engine I should potentially pick, or should I go with another route? I'm not sure about the quality of the engines since I literally just found about this today, and I figured I should ask yall for some tips before dropping some money on a brand new engine and later ending up regretting my purchase?

What do?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2020 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have not crossed that bridge yet but when it if I do, I am going to go the 3.4 S-10 Goodwrench engine route, 20 more HP, easy swap other than swapping timing cover, upper intake and starter relocation jig from Rodney. (for the starter)
Kit
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2020 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kitskaboodle

2979 posts
Member since Nov 2004
I have not crossed that bridge yet but when it if I do, I am going to go the 3.4 S-10 Goodwrench engine route, 20 more HP, easy swap other than swapping timing cover, upper intake and starter relocation jig from Rodney. (for the starter)
Kit
Polaris aka Stardude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2020 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Polaris aka StardudeSend a Private Message to Polaris aka StardudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

Kit

I've considered doing something like that if it comes to it, but I'd kinda like to stick to the less complicated stuff for now if possible, since this is my first real project and me and Dad have literally no mechanical experience, but thanks for the tip!

Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2020 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the short block I was going to go with (they also have the long block). These guys just rebuild engines. I'd be afraid that Autozone just sources them from whatever low-cost supplier they can find (but I could be wrong.) Like has been said, the 3.4 is nearly as easy to drop in and there are MANY folks on here who will guide you step by step if you are not sure about something.

Remanufactured GM Chevy 3.4 207 Short Block 1993-1995

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2020 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get the 3.4 Long Block
You will need a new neutral balanced flywheel for it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Re...93-1995/251717427287

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-17-2020).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2020 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check around locally, when the engine in my Fiero died, it turned out there was a place right down the street that sold engine, carry-out or installed.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2020 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be careful with the Autozone engines. They show the same 4 cylinder fitting an 86 as an 88. (They are vastly different.)

They also show two different "Surefire" V6s. Both are "supposed to" fit an 86 or 88. (Again, there are differences between those years - specifically regarding the engine balance. The 85-87 V6 is externally balanced, and uses a counterweighted flywheel or flexplate. The 88 V6 is internally balanced, and uses a zero - or neutral - balanced flywheel or flexplate. If you mix them up, it'll vibrate badly, and possibly damage the main bearings, over the long term.

With that said... it would be advisable to swap to the later, internally balanced engine. There were some other improvements made (specifically, to oiling) and it's much easier to find a neutrally balanced flywheel, if yours ever needs to be replaced.
Subliminal message... You need to ask questions before you purchase, and you need to examine the engine carefully, before it's installed. (An internally balanced V6 will have a round timing disk in the middle of the crankshaft. An externally balanced V6 will not.

Me? I'd go with the 3.4 Camarobird engine. The HT 3.4 is no longer in production.
Modesto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2020 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ModestoSend a Private Message to ModestoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went with a 3.4 pulled from a '95 Camaro in a junk yard. I paid a machine shop for cleaning and machining and assembled it myself. With quality upgraded components it came out to about $2000. Not the cheapest route, but far from the most expensive. I feel like the power fits the car perfectly and I know exactly what I have. I am 100% satisfied.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post06-21-2020 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pulled one from a Camaro, too. Found it had a spun bearing so I bought a replacement Sealed Power prepped crank locally that's turned 10/10. It's been sitting unused in the box in a garage in East Tenn with a 400 Ram Air III Judge engine, a 400 low hp, a 455 w/ HO round ports and a 301 turbo TA engine. The rods need checked for sizing on the 3.4.

[This message has been edited by sourmash (edited 06-21-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock