Just bought a 85 gt by Miller5862
Started on: 05-27-2020 12:52 PM
Replies: 14 (497 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 06-02-2020 10:13 PM
Miller5862

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2020 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Miller5862Send a Private Message to Miller5862Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bought a 85 gt been sitting 2 years. Tries to start but dont i assume bad gas. Does not brake at all ebrake not connected assume frozen brakes has fluid no leak. Only real concern is headlight motors dont work and no one seems to make flush mount anymore. I feel like i got into fiero late lol.

If you know easy way to drain its fuel and trouble shoot brakes aside from simply removing them and getting things to move let me know. I had a corvette the lights went out on and i used screws to hold them up 24/7 ill prob do the same with these lights.

PS: most vendor links dont even work i think pennock should go through and check those.

[This message has been edited by Miller5862 (edited 05-27-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2020 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Fiero world. If you do a search on the fuel tank (make sure you use archives) you will find that you can run the pump to get the fuel out. I am not exactly sure, hence why I tell you to search.

Here are some vendors that can provide parts and upgrades:

Fiero Store

Rodney Dickman

Fiero Guru

V8 Archie
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2020 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can spin the round knob on the headlight motor to raise or lower them.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2020 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Miller5862:

Bought a 85 gt been sitting 2 years. Tries to start but dont i assume bad gas.

If you know easy way to drain its fuel...

You're assuming an awful lot. In regards to fuel issues, have you checked fuel pressure? If it's zero, don't assume (there's that word again) the fuel pump is necessarily bad, as often the fuel level sender will indicate a quarter tank when in reality it's empty.

I've resurrected Fieros with six year old gas in the tank. If you've got proper fuel pressure, just add a couple gallons of fresh gas to whatever is in the tank... unless you suspect it's something other than gas that's in there.
Miller5862

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2020 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Miller5862Send a Private Message to Miller5862Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

You're assuming an awful lot. In regards to fuel issues, have you checked fuel pressure? If it's zero, don't assume (there's that word again) the fuel pump is necessarily bad, as often the fuel level sender will indicate a quarter tank when in reality it's empty.

I've resurrected Fieros with six year old gas in the tank. If you've got proper fuel pressure, just add a couple gallons of fresh gas to whatever is in the tank... unless you suspect it's something other than gas that's in there.

Youve started a fiero on 6 year old gas?? Do these cars run on water?
creaky78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2020 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for creaky78Send a Private Message to creaky78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My "87 GT sat on my garage porch for 5 years not being touched except for evicting a couple of mouse families. I put a battery in it and it fired right up on gas that was in the tank since I trailered it home. Maybe Fieros can run on anything.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Miller5862:

Youve started a fiero on 6 year old gas?? Do these cars run on water?

Water in the gas tank would be an issue... but fresh gas added to six year old gas... no, not a problem.

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also bought a 86 SE 2.8 auto for a "just in case" parts car. Started it to get it on the trailer. Brought it home and it sat for 5 years or close to it. Went to sell it and after putting in a fresh battery it started right up and was able to drive it up on the trailer. One back tire was semi-flat. Don't know what brand gas previous owner had in it but it held up over the years.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

SophiaNova

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SophiaNovaSend a Private Message to SophiaNovaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SCCA FIERO:

You can spin the round knob on the headlight motor to raise or lower them.

I have an 85 GT and my headlights are sometime-y. Thanks for this tip.

To OP: Welcome to the wonderful world of Fieroing! May your wallet always be full.
Miller5862

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Miller5862Send a Private Message to Miller5862Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SophiaNova:

I have an 85 GT and my headlights are sometime-y. Thanks for this tip.

To OP: Welcome to the wonderful world of Fieroing! May your wallet always be full.

I get the feeling this will keep it empty lol but ty
85fieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MY CONDOLENCES.... I HAVE A 85 GT ALSO...MY FAVORITE...THE NOTCHBACK..CLASSIC SPORT CAR PROFILE...DON'T CARE FOR THE 86 -88 STYLE...LOOKS TOO COMMON. AS THEY GET OLDER, THE FIERO'S NEED CARE, BUT IT'S WORTH IT. CHECK OUT PENNOCKS OFTEN, LOADS OF GOOD INFO, HELP FROM GREAT GUYS.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fieroguy:

DON'T CARE FOR THE 86 -88 STYLE...LOOKS TOO COMMON.

The original notchback style was retained throughout the Fiero's '84 to '88 run. The fastback style, added in '86, did not displace it.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-29-2020).]

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2020 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://via-autoworks.my-on...002281_20063234.aspx

I have a set of his old flush mount head lights and recently upgraded to new lenses. The new buckets look much better than the old metal ones. He is waiting on some parts that have been delayed but I am sure he will have stock soon . There is a thread in the Construction zone by Doublec4 with links to videos.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 05-30-2020).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2020 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi I am an original owner of a V6 85 and I am helping a friend in getting his 85 GT started for the first time since 1990.

His car was parked indoors but we did pull and replace the tank. We will replace the brake system including the lines for safety. No matter how good it will run it is no good if you can’t stop.

My first Recomended action is to pull the plugs. The plugs on the back side generally like to rust in as water drips down there. It can be worse if the rubber seal was removed on the deck lid in the recall.

Use care as I have seen people break off the plugs back there.

Head lamps are not a big deal as often the relays go bad or the gear in the motors. You can rebuild the motors and put steel gears in. The relays are still avail.

Check the car for rust before you start putting money in. Pull he carpet Ithe trunk corners. If it is rusted out there then look elsewhere. Too many people dump a lot of money into a Fiero that may look good out side but be rusted away under the body.

While some like to buy a Fiero cheap and fix it up.

I really like to recomend to buy the best low mile car you can as often by the time you restore and repaint you can easily have more in the car than buying a clean solid low mile car.

Interior parts are getting more difficult to find and can be expensive if you plan to keep it original. Some parts are being reproduced but many are not.

You restore a Fiero for the love of it. This is not an investment unless you really buy the right car at the righ t price.

Good luck and enjoy.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2020 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck on the 85GT. That was my first fun Fiero. For starting you must have fuel and spark. Check both.
A friend of mine had his Fiero parked in his garage for 12 years. After raising a family he decided to drive it again. He installed a new battery and it fired right up. He said that he had put Stabil gas preservative in the tank before parking. After driving for a week, and a fresh tank of gasoline later, the engine is running fine. We can only assume that Stabil works but 12 years sounds incredible.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock