Daily Driving a Fiero? by liv4God
Started on: 05-22-2020 05:01 PM
Replies: 29 (756 views)
Last post by: liv4God on 06-11-2020 05:45 AM
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot of people think the Fiero is a bad car to drive daily so I put together a video of my long commute and why I think the Fiero is the perfect car for the job.

Or watch on YouTube
here.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
SophiaNova

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SophiaNovaSend a Private Message to SophiaNovaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Enjoyed your video. I bought an '88 4-cyl with 187,000 miles on it and drove it daily for 4 years between Hillsdale and Ann Arrbor every day,. Even made it to Naperville, Indy, and almost made it to the Dells before my engine quit. After too long, I got my hands on an '85 GT and my life is complete. Fiero daily driver is great!
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see what you did there.

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless I missed it, are you in Santa Rosa?

That's a hell of a commute WITH traffic each day.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just sort of watching "How I met your Mother" and then I saw the episode "Bad News"....I saw it in syndication in 2012...approx' one year after my Father passed...For those who don't know it is an extremely funny episode...But at the end it will rip your heart right out; Some people complain about how this show will do that every once in a while- I actually like it.

Could not stand that song until I watched this show but now I really like it- maybe it should be the Fiero Anthem......

That is one looooonnnngggg commute......I commuted to work in Alameda from 1985 to 1997 with my Fiero (3 miles each way until 1993, then 10 miles each way)...After the Naval Air Station closed, I was able to work for the Coast Guard at Air Station San Francisco for the next 16 years until retirement- That commute was 30+ each way, but I drove other cars a lot.

I have been to his house to pick up a Getrag Trany- He lives in some really beautiful country- but when I got off of 101 in Santa Rosa I could hardly see the road because for miles all I saw was burned down houses and cars from the fires....It really killed me.

I wonder what MPG a Fiero would get with a LZ8 3900 Flex displacement engine and the 6 speed out of a G6......Might be up to 35 MPG on the highway....but you'd have to put up with 240 hp and 240 Lb/Ft of torque........
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What a commute!

Originally posted by cvxjet:
I wonder what MPG a Fiero would get with a LZ8 3900 Flex displacement engine and the 6 speed out of a G6......Might be up to 35 MPG on the highway....but you'd have to put up with 240 hp and 240 Lb/Ft of torque........

People love to complain about a short 1st gear (like the G6 F40 has), but I think a short 1st gear is great for a commuter car that sees traffic.

A short 1st allows you to steadily creep along in traffic without clutch slip, and with less fatigue than the autotragic drivers who have to constantly push on the brake pedal to keep their cars from jumping ahead.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2020 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was one of the main reasons I left Silicon Valley, my commute went from 45 minutes a day (San Jose to Fremont and back) to THREE HOURS A DAY (San Jose to Palo Alto and back). At least his commute looks like he spends most of it moving.
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2020 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad you guys are enjoying the video so far!

RWDPLZ - With my Fiero being silver and all, I couldn't resist the opportunity to somehow get that song in there! You are correct, most of my commute is unobstructed besides occasional road construction. I'm lucky enough to have a schedule outside of the rush hours.

IMSA GT - I live about 20 minutes North of Santa Rosa, near Calistoga. It is a bit of a drive, but luckily my work hours let me avoid rush hour traffic, which helps immensely.

cvxjet - I've considered swapping the engine on this car, but it runs so good I don't want to mess it up yet Lol. Plus, while doing the swap I'd have to drive my V8 which gets like 17mpg. I do have a six speed in the garage which I would like to mate to an LS4 eventually.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2020 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I switch off commuting between my Toyota pickup and my 85 GT. I drive from San Jose to Fremont. One thing you didn’t mention is that besides using your Fiero for commuting duties, are you using it for other “menial” daily/weekly tasks? I do. This mornings run to Smart & Final was easy but I have loaded my Fiero with an impressive amount of groceries.
Kit
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2020 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

I switch off commuting between my Toyota pickup and my 85 GT. I drive from San Jose to Fremont. One thing you didn’t mention is that besides using your Fiero for commuting duties, are you using it for other “menial” daily/weekly tasks? I do. This mornings run to Smart & Final was easy but I have loaded my Fiero with an impressive amount of groceries.
Kit

I do use it for all tasks. The other day getting a sheet of plexiglass at the hardware store.

I thought about putting this kind of thing in the video too, but didn't want to go more than 10 minutes. Maybe another video can hone in on day to day activities.
Nice looking Fiero btw!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2020 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

I have loaded my Fiero with an impressive amount of groceries.

Originally posted by liv4God:

I do use it for all tasks. The other day getting a sheet of plexiglass at the hardware store.

Take out the passenger seat and you've got the cargo capacity of a small wagon.

PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2020 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Transmission hauling crew checking in:

Unfortunately, I also own a pickup truck now, so I'm not sure I'll repeat this experience...

Edit: Unless my pickup is broken and it needs a transmission from the junkyard!

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 05-23-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2020 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Transmission hauling crew checking in...

Was that where you originally placed the transmission... or was that the result of a panic stop?
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2020 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Was that where you originally placed the transmission... or was that the result of a panic stop?

No sh*t!! I was wondering the same thing....Maybe he is just smart and wedged it forward so it wouldn't move during a panic stop.......
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Maybe he is just smart and wedged it forward so it wouldn't move during a panic stop.

Looking at my photo, I obviously hadn't put much thought into any potential misadventure.
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The most impressive load I've done was an entire drum set. That and whenever I would travel down to Texas and back for college I would load all my clothes, books, desktop computer, printer, toolbox, etc, etc in the car. Once I got pulled over and the cop wanted to search my car. After an hour of filing through my things he disappointedly declared that he didn't find any drugs (of course). He proceeded to attempt to put things back, but unfamiliar with the techniques needed to fit everything he was unable to and just left everything out on the side of the road and headed on his merry way. And then it began raining of course :0
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know you guys are out there. With a new fuel pump, ignition parts , hubs and wheel bearings; if well maintained the car can be somewhat reliable. Must say I admire you brave souls that daily drive a 30+ yr old car.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't think I still have a picture, but once I did the same to drive 6 hrs each way and pick up a ZF 6 speed for my vette. Trans, bellhousing, C brace, drive shaft, all fit in that area and I got 30+ mpg.
Once I had the passenger side loaded down with 6 USPS large flat rate boxes, each weighing 35 lbs heading to the post office.

My Fiero is currently down for upgrades, but it normally sees 8-10K miles per year and I would drive it everywhere. Over the years my commute was 19 miles each way (country roads), 47 miles each way (mostly interstate), and 1-2 trips to Chicago per week (147 miles each way). I also supported several plants that were withing 6 hrs of home, so I would jump in the Fiero and take it to visit these plants. The Fiero didn't rack up 55K miles in 6 years sitting at home.

The best part was being paid $0.375 per mile to drive a 382 whp Fiero! I will have to check my records, but work reimbursed me for 15 to 20K miles during the last two years of my corporate engineering manager gig.

I really miss being able to jump in the fiero, mash the pedal, watch the tach fly into "R" in first, 2nd and 3rd gears. The acceleration and exhaust note makes any day better!
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looking at my photo, I obviously hadn't put much thought into any potential misadventure.

I wasn't gonna say anything, Patrick- But I did think about it....(Give that trany a "Running start" at your dash!)

liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2020 05:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I know you guys are out there. With a new fuel pump, ignition parts , hubs and wheel bearings; if well maintained the car can be somewhat reliable. Must say I admire you brave souls that daily drive a 30+ yr old car.

This car has not left me stranded yet... There was a close call last year where the fuel pump started being finicky (don't buy the online cheapos!). I've replaced all suspension, brakes, many electric components, fuel pump as well as water pump and other random things throughout the last few years. And the regular maintenance items too of course. Oh, and swapped in a v6 after rebuilding the duke.
Here's what she was like when I dragged her out of a field in 2015. Now you'll see why so much was replaced lol!

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2020 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i dont have a commute, but i drive Freya everyday there is no salt on the road. When i am putting in something in my Freya i get all the time a comment like "Where do you put things in that car?" I always tell them that they would be amazed at all the things i have carried in a Fiero. Shoulda taken pics when i moved here to Halifax, i had stuff everywhere except in the engine compartment. Under the master cylinder, under the headlights, every nook and cranny in the passenger compartment, piled up to the window level on the passenger seat, with the dog on top of that looking out. There are at least two others here in NS that daily drive their Fieroz.

jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

PFF
System Bot
87convert

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2020 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87convertSend a Private Message to 87convertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I drive a Fiero most every day. Now that I am retired that is not every day but one of my Fieros is always my go to car when I have to go somewhere. My 88 GT 4.9 gets the most mileage since it is so much fun to drive, but when the weather is nice I take the convertible out. The Indy gets the least attention now but I do take it out for a spin every month.

Dennis, If you are diligent about maintenance there is really no difference between driving a Fiero and any other car. Trouble only comes around when you defer or delay needed work and don't pay attention to sensible basic task intervals, such as cooling checks, tuneups, fluid changes, etc.

Rolland
Zentaury

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2020 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZentaurySend a Private Message to ZentauryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After 6 months of not driving my Fiero...seeing this video made me very happy, with that familiar silhouette in front with the headlights open.

And driving through the golden gate is really an experience. I went there for work two years ago and it was great.

I would like to hear the exhaust in those tunnels!
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2020 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great video, made me smile. When I lived in Maryland, my round trip commute was 120 miles a day. I drove a Fiero to work every day for many years starting with an 84 sport 4 speed, then traded in for a 85 SE V6 4 speed. The V6 exhaust had a nice sound that was able to take a hard day at work melt away within a few shifts.

All those miles were trouble free. My work schedule put me on the road after the rush hour. Was 90 percent highway miles, the cruise control was my favorite tool to use for those miles. After a while, it felt like the cars knew the way to work.

Again, thanks for your video, it was put together very well.
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2020 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I must say I enjoyed this video more than alot of recient TV shows I've seen. Especially you driving over the Bay and Golden Gate bridges. You did an excellent job of restoring that Fiero . It looks, and obvisously runs great too. I see you mention you hauled and entire set of drums.... check out my tread " any drummers out there ? ' on the Off Topic page.
i have a few other car songs I think you might enjoy while driving your commute.
Check out " Highway Star " by Deep Purple , " I can't Drive 55 " by Sammy Hagar, "Radar Love ' by Golden Earing, and both " Moving " and "Highway Pirate " by Black Oak Arkansas.

You used the word FUN many times in your video... thats the first word that came to my mind when I clicked onto this tread. i enjoyed it very much. Thanks Jason.
larafan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2020 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for larafanSend a Private Message to larafanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this one is my daily work car.
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2020 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Lara.... I really like those rims... What are they off of ?
larafan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2020 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for larafanSend a Private Message to larafanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
90s Grand Am.
jonrev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2020 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jonrevClick Here to visit jonrev's HomePageSend a Private Message to jonrevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My commute was shorter but I did it for the first five years I had my Formula... also a time when I didn't really have the space, time or knowledge (and barely the money) to keep it running. Rough times then, but now that I'm more mechanically inclined I'd do it again if I needed a cheap daily.
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2020 05:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's really awesome to hear all these other stories of you guys daily driving Fieros! We have such a great car that makes what would be a chore in many cars, an enjoyable activity. And much thanks for watching my video and for the positive feedback!

Longjonsilver- people definitely don't realize how much room there is in a Fiero!

87convert- how's the 4.9 on fuel efficiency? My sbc is around 17 so it's not practical to daily on this long commute :'(

Zentaury- the exhaust in the tunnels is a great sound! On occasion I'll take my V8 Fiero for the commute and can't help but downshift and give it a little gas through the tunnel!

CoolBlue87GT- it definitely feels like the car knows the way sometimes! There are a few stretches of new asphalt where I could let go of the wheel without worry if I wanted to.

Fierofrenzy- yes I pay the drums, these days just for my Church worship or fiddling around at home. And I'll have to check out those songs for driving, thanks for the suggestions!

Iarafan- beautiful Fiero! I don't know if it's just because my Fiero is silver, but the silver Fieros have really grown on me. Mine needs some attention to the paint to get it shining as nicely as yours.

Jonrev- I daily drove my Formula through highschool and college. Then I put a v8 in it and now that I have this long commute it was no longer practical. The engine in my silver Fiero actually came out of that Formula though.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock