Worth of L67 w/50k miles? by Modesto
Started on: 05-22-2020 12:24 PM
Replies: 8 (375 views)
Last post by: Modesto on 06-07-2020 08:23 PM
Modesto

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ModestoSend a Private Message to ModestoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As luck would have it, I'm in the middle of my 3.4 swap and came across a donor car with the series II 3800sc. The seller says it's got 50k miles and runs great but the transmission has problems shifting. He's asking $1000, which is probably 2/3rds to half of what I have into my 3.4, but then there will be other expenses with the 3800 such as exhaust, etc.

Im kind of torn on what to do. I just got the heads back from being set up for the Crane 272 and was going to have it back in the car by the end of next week.

I would need to complete and sell the 3.4 obviously, but I have a hard time thinking someone will pay $1500-2000 for a 3.4, even if it's a totally new, upgraded build. So what do you guys think? $1000 sounds like a good deal, I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is if it's still a good deal for my situation...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3.4 sounds better - still has that 60° V6 sound.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Modesto:
was going to have it back in the car by the end of next week.

Well if you're that close to the finish line, complete what you have now, drive around a bit, and decide if you want to sell the engine.

Should you decide to sell the engine, you'll be able to say it's been tested and the buyer could hear it running in your car before you pull the engine.

Originally posted by Modesto:$1000 sounds like a good deal, I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is if it's still a good deal for my situation...

Double that to cover the ancillary expenses, then triple the calculated time and money to arrive at a realistic figure.

Also, I see paint on the bearing surfaces for the head bolts. Clean that off with a small wirebrush on a Dremel. If the paint crushes with the force of the head bolts, the head gasket could lose compression.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 05-22-2020).]

Modesto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ModestoSend a Private Message to ModestoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good points, the sound -is- much better and the 3.8 would probably snowball out of control. Thanks for the input!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck with your 3.4, since it sounds like you're going in that direction.
Did you have any porting or gasket matching done? What are you doing for an intake?

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

Modesto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ModestoSend a Private Message to ModestoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to port the exhaust manifolds but that's about it, stock intake- etc. I considered gasket matching but I've been on a tight timeline with the project (rented garage space to do the swap). To be honest I was happy with the 2.8's power and considered just replacing the crank and bearings, but decided that the 3.4 block improvements would be worth tracking one down. The 272 cam was more or less an instance of "I'm already here" and "it won't add time and only a little more cost".
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2020 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It seems like whenever I see a used engine advertised it always says "only 50,00 miles on it". When I purchase a used engine I want to see the car that it came out of so I can check the OD. If not I do a cylinder leak down test. If you are shooting for a fast 1/4 mile the 3800SC is the ticket. If you want to retain the look , sound and get a bit more power the 3.4L is a nice upgrade but with the Fiero intake top end power will suffer.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2020 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if you factored in the cost of replaing that bad transmission in the car. That's another expense since I believe you have to use the same type of transmission in order to pass smog/inspection. You cannot swap to a manual transmission with the 3800.
Modesto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2020 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ModestoSend a Private Message to ModestoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really considered buying it and just looking out for an '88 automatic in the future, but since my 3.4 swap with the 5 speed is done I feel like that's a route that's hard to beat. Passes smog, minimal cost, and I feel like it just makes the Fiero better at what it's meant to do rather than making it into something it's not, but I realize that aspect is highly subjective. I might change my tune if I drive a 3800sc swap!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock