Worth of L67 w/50k miles? by Modesto
Started on: 05-22-2020 12:24 PM
Replies: 4 (116 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 05-28-2020 05:00 PM
Modesto

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ModestoSend a Private Message to ModestoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As luck would have it, I'm in the middle of my 3.4 swap and came across a donor car with the series II 3800sc. The seller says it's got 50k miles and runs great but the transmission has problems shifting. He's asking $1000, which is probably 2/3rds to half of what I have into my 3.4, but then there will be other expenses with the 3800 such as exhaust, etc.

Im kind of torn on what to do. I just got the heads back from being set up for the Crane 272 and was going to have it back in the car by the end of next week.

I would need to complete and sell the 3.4 obviously, but I have a hard time thinking someone will pay $1500-2000 for a 3.4, even if it's a totally new, upgraded build. So what do you guys think? $1000 sounds like a good deal, I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is if it's still a good deal for my situation...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadClick Here to Email olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3.4 sounds better - still has that 60° V6 sound.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleClick Here to Email pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Modesto:
was going to have it back in the car by the end of next week.

Well if you're that close to the finish line, complete what you have now, drive around a bit, and decide if you want to sell the engine.

Should you decide to sell the engine, you'll be able to say it's been tested and the buyer could hear it running in your car before you pull the engine.

Originally posted by Modesto:$1000 sounds like a good deal, I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is if it's still a good deal for my situation...

Double that to cover the ancillary expenses, then triple the calculated time and money to arrive at a realistic figure.

Also, I see paint on the bearing surfaces for the head bolts. Clean that off with a small wirebrush on a Dremel. If the paint crushes with the force of the head bolts, the head gasket could lose compression.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 05-22-2020).]

Modesto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ModestoSend a Private Message to ModestoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good points, the sound -is- much better and the 3.8 would probably snowball out of control. Thanks for the input!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck with your 3.4, since it sounds like you're going in that direction.
Did you have any porting or gasket matching done? What are you doing for an intake?

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay