Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Time for a semi-general pardon (unbanning banned members)? (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Time for a semi-general pardon (unbanning banned members)? by Cliff Pennock
Started on: 05-20-2020 08:59 AM
Replies: 100 (2278 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 06-28-2020 01:49 PM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2020 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
.... However, knowing what we know, it wasn't a total surprise that JazzMan finally snapped from the harassment.

Patrick, Jazz gave as good as he got. And he frequently made it personal.
But I wish he were still around. As badly as I disagreed with him, most of the time, I pretty much never instigated those arguments.
I really tried to treat him as a friend, until he was just having none of it.

As an aside... That's only ever happened (to me) with one other member, who was not banned, but left of his own accord. I'm still not sure what I did, personally, to piss him off. But I think mainly it was the collective. Not just me.

Edit - How do I keep owning pages of this thread?

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-25-2020).]

IP: Logged
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2020 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Raydar

40686 posts
Member since Oct 1999
Here's an idea...

I would be happy if I could "block" certain members' posts. Similar to how it's done on FB. (I've blocked a few people, there - even in the Fiero groups - and haven't missed them one tiny bit.
So you might not be able to vote people off of the "collective" island. But you could make them not be a part of yours.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2020 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Patrick, Jazz gave as good as he got.

And why shouldn't he have?

Raydar, it's occurred over and over again here where some forum member has been continually harassed by a number of others, and when that member finally fights back in the same manner, all of a sudden he's the bad guy. Hell, the same scenario is being repeated in O/T as we speak!

I witnessed the entire JazzMan saga (as did you). We both know who the members were who purposely made JazzMan's time at PFF miserable. It was disgusting and totally uncalled for.

I'm sorry Raydar, but if you believe JazzMan brought it upon himself, then we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2020 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here's an idea...

I would be happy if I could "block" certain members' posts. Similar to how it's done on FB. (I've blocked a few people, there - even in the Fiero groups - and haven't missed them one tiny bit.
So you might not be able to vote people off of the "collective" island. But you could make them not be a part of yours.

^^^^^^

This.

I have blocked people on Facebook just because I don't want to interact with them. It's that simple. Here one bad apple does spoil the whole bunch.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2020 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would assume that since its inception, over 30,000 Fiero owners have signed up for this forum. Today hundreds are active but the site does get quite a number of visitors. If you go back to when this forum was started around 2000 (gee am I that old? ) heated arguments were common. Many members were young and spirited. As owners matured and mellowed, flaming gradually disappeared. Outside of gross personal attacks I have no problem with disagreements. What I have noticed is that when you don't buy into some ideas and/or opinions that are promoted, you get ganged up upon, and could be banned. How many members have we lost debating the V6 vs V8 which is best thread? What is disappointing is that we have lost some knowledgeable members only for their stubbornness on a particular subject. Some of these guys now post on Facebook and have something to contribute. With its heated debates, I still enjoyed the forum in its early days and still enjoy it now. It is by far the easiest to use and best information reference for Fiero owners.
Cliff, you have the list and most of the emails of all of the Fiero Forum members past and present. Perhaps a "welcome back" email blast to all would generate some interest.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm sorry Raydar, but if you believe JazzMan brought it upon himself, then we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Yes. Yes we will.
Just like anyone here, Jazz was not blameless. I still seem to remember him starting his fair share. (A search seems to support this. He welcomed the arguments. But in the grand scheme of things, it's not that important. I'll stop there.)

With all of that said, above, this was the first of his old posts that I came to.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-6-045598.html
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

With all of that said, above, this was the first of his old posts that I came to.

Deconstructing JazzMan

Wow, that's quite a read. Judging from my lack of a response in that 2006 thread, I've never seen it before. Thanks for posting the link.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't been very active on here for a few years now... I've come back a bit here and there ... seen this post come up and the names mentioned reminds me of all of the drama from years ago. I still can't believe how personal people got and how much they took the internet drama to heart. Some people were con artists and stole money etc, that is entirely different... but a lot of people just got so personal over stupid things, I couldn't believe how childish people would act. Not sure if this is still going on these days, but I would hate to see that come back. I feel like some people don't change and old grudges will resurface. Not sure how many old dogs have a new fresh perspective on life and are willing to let it all go even from years ago. My 2 cents/
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2020 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suspect few banned members are banging on the door to get back in.

Wouldn't it be more constructive to suggest current members to ban?
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2020 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

I suspect few banned members are banging on the door to get back in.

Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2020 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

I haven't been very active on here for a few years now... I've come back a bit here and there ... seen this post come up and the names mentioned reminds me of all of the drama from years ago. I still can't believe how personal people got and how much they took the internet drama to heart. Some people were con artists and stole money etc, that is entirely different... but a lot of people just got so personal over stupid things, I couldn't believe how childish people would act. Not sure if this is still going on these days, but I would hate to see that come back. I feel like some people don't change and old grudges will resurface. Not sure how many old dogs have a new fresh perspective on life and are willing to let it all go even from years ago. My 2 cents/

I agree.
If they wanted back on the forum, they start up a new account. If they change how they interact, they stay. If they go back to the same old stuff, they get booted again.
Allowing them to come back will only let them use a screen name that has been booted, nothing else will change..
But abrasive personalities cause people to leave and those people probably won't come back.
The answer to low membership is promoting and maintaining a civil site that is not toxic.
PFF
System Bot
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2020 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow, that's quite a read. Judging from my lack of a response in that 2006 thread, I've never seen it before. Thanks for posting the link.

Yeah, I wonder how James is doing?
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2020 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a thought.... those who were banned will they be able to NEG us again ?? or Cliff are you gonna take away that right?? .. some of these people would probably like to do this .... anyways I have no quarrels with anyone as I dont give a krapp what the misfits say or think... I only think some may want to come back to take revenge ..
greatest regards
Danyel

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2020 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll trade 2 assholes in the form of Jaskispyder and Nurb432 in return for an 84Bill and a Phranc. I'm curious if Phranc has any teeth left in his skull

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 06-01-2020).]

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2020 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a general observation.

Getting banned is a gradual process, the bar and pointer over there on the left is a pretty good indicator.

So, if a member watched that bar go further and further into the red and continued the same behavior until banned, why would we assume that if allowed back in here they would behave any differently?
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2020 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That post on Jazzman is a sad read. It was written by a lonely man that seemed very depressed about life. He was probably a very sensitive guy that never quite learned to toughen up his chin. I recall years back we would trade insults big time. Name calling was comon. V8Archie and myself would go at it regularly but several years later we mellowed out, and I got to like the guy.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2020 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

That post on Jazzman is a sad read. It was written by a lonely man that seemed very depressed about life. He was probably a very sensitive guy that never quite learned to toughen up his chin.

It seemed he had a tough start to life, the mental scars no doubt deeply embedded.

As a child I was seriously and regularly beaten by one of my parents...

We have no idea what other people may have gone through (or are currently going through) in their lives. Might be something for all of us to consider before slinging mud.

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2020 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember Jazzman from the old usenet group (remember those?) alt.autos.fiero. This was before I found Pennock's. Jazzman was a regular contributor, as was a guy named Mr. Potatohead, John Stricker and several others. All were great resources of knowledge back in the 90's / early 2000's. As much as usenet could be a sewer, seemed one on one was perhaps better, disregarding the obvious garbage posts that had nothing to do with Fieros.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2020 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mr. Potatohead and John Stricker are both alive and apparently well. I have seen comments from both of them within the past month.
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2020 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mr. Potatohead and John Stricker are both alive and apparently well. I have seen comments from both of them within the past month.

Thanks, that's good to hear; I suspect Mr. Stricker was a happy guy on February 2nd this year (Chiefs)!
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2020 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In closing I would suggest to Cliff that it is important to hold onto the contributing members, ( the supporters) . They have spoken with their wallet. Not allow people to be banned for their opinions. Opinions are part of life, right or wrong we can never all agree. Freedom and liberty allow freedom of thought.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave