Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  New AcDelco water pump is made in China, is it ok?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
New AcDelco water pump is made in China, is it ok? by 2.5
Started on: 05-19-2020 11:24 AM
Replies: 14 (1013 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 05-24-2020 10:02 AM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 2.8 that needs a water pump. I ordered an AcDelco from Rockauto and its made in China.
Any opinions? Any other good options? Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put a made in China ac delco water pump on my 3800 swap. Seems to be fine.

------------------
88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
84 IMSA wide body SE: 3800 Supercharged
Rear Engine Shop on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/fast88fiero

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suspect the other six or eight brands they have at Rockauto are Chinese too, so it probably doesn't matter.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Likely the case. Not alot of choice. Seems new is better than rebuilt. I guess I'll run it
sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2020 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd compare the impellers of the original and new. I've read of some other makes receiving a crappier impeller wherein the delivery wasn't the same in volume or pressure, not sure which. The suppliers had switched to an impeller from another application which wasn't a good replacement.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GM thanks you for being a sucker.
ACDelco is just GM version of Kenmore that slaps the name and high margin and little to no warranty for same part made by X maker.
Nearly all parts are China made. Including most claim made in USA have important China parts in them like most to all rear hubs for Fiero.

Won't buy NAPA parts for same reason. Put name on X, jack the price, little to no warranty.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The reality is China is involved in most parts anymore.

While some things may be junk many are fine. The key often is to keep with a name brand or a Company that stands behind the product.

I deal with some product that we have made overseas. We have few issues and we use MFGs that keep American in plant to make sure the products are made to spec.

I also deal with a brake company that had to move their rotors overseas. He has had good luck with most of their work but. He has to rely on the Chinese to get things done. In his case when he orders everyone speaks English. When there is a problem no one speaks English.

But as long as people continue to buy the cheaper products. China is going to be a factor.

While some of their stuff is junk most of what they make is as good as any. These are the same folks making all of you Apple, Samsung and other computer electronics. That is what is so troubling is they not only are being us on price but can easily match us in quality if they choose.

India is also a major auto parts mfg today.

Also don’t be fooled by some product that say made in the USA. They may be assembled here but al, the parts are made overseas. They may just finish machine here and assemble.

We need to understand in China many of their plants and foundries are no longer the huts we say 50 years ago. Most are new state of the art facilities and the only thing that separates quality to non quality is
the designs sent to be made.

Everyone complains about China but they all go to Walmart and Cosco to save money as they are unwilling to pay the price on many products to be made here.

I just pray we get our medications back. But with mfg as it is we are at a very strategic disadvantage.

Sadly there are many elected officials willing to send more companies to China.
Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2020 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was in the same boat as you.

I purchased Cardone Select 55-13114 Water pump from Rockauto after researching on the forum.

However, I wasn't too happy with the quality. No Clamp or plug either... that was supposed to come with it.

True, I could clean it up with a rotary tool, but for a brand new part, they should have done a better job. I didn't want to take a risk getting a small piece stuck inside.

So, I returned it & searched for new old stock on eBay. Took me a while, but scored a NOS (New Old Stock) ACDelco water pump, made in USA. It was in a sealed box from closed dealer. What a find!

I was pleased with the quality so I purchased few more from the same seller as insurance.

Also, I still have one, made in USA, with plastic impellers that I don't want. I plan to sell it in the future.

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 05-19-2020).]

sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2020 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Modesto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ModestoSend a Private Message to ModestoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a remanufactured unit from Rockauto just last week. It was Cardone brand on closeout for $8.86. Looks just like the original I pulled off the 2.8 only it had an outlet where the original has a plug. Is new really better than remanufactured? Well, as least as water pumps go?
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2020 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed a new pump that I purchased from O'Relyes. Sorry, I forgot the manufacturer, but it works just fine. While your in there, my Formula had torx head bolts holding it on. I found that unusual. I replaced all of them with standard hex head bolts.
PFF
System Bot
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2020 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree that a lot of stuff that comes from China is junk... BUT the reality is that China can build anything just as well as USA/Canada. It all comes down to QC and Engineering enforcement. Country of manufacture really makes no difference anymore. A guy turning a wrench or running a CNC machine in Shanghai isn't any less talented or dedicated than a guy in Indianapolis, Toronto, or Buenos Aires. They have access to the same technology, software, inspection equipment. The Chinese can and have built spaceships, MRI machines, satellites, and other highly complex pieces of equipment.

The bigger issue is the QC requirements of the companies that outsource work to China. For example, if AC Delco or anyone else would be willing to enforce (and penalize) Chinese suppliers for poor quality parts, sub par materials, etc, then the quality would improve, but the price of the part would go up.

Bottom line- there is no way to get something that is high quality for a dirt cheap price. The math doesn't work. I certainly hope the supply chain returns here to North America, as well as the manufacturing jobs that left in the last 25 years....

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2020 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Nearly all parts are China made.

So it seems

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2020 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007
I was recommended by a few Fiero enthusiasts to go new not reman. So I guess at this point it is what it is.
Most pumps will work just fine, its a few years later that you find out how long they last.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The difference between the Chinese and American/Canadian/European/Japanese made water pumps is in the bearing and seals. The Chinese can make decent castings (sometimes) but the quality of their bearings leaves much to be desired. We've seen that with the Chicom bearing hubs that sometimes don't last long and fail. IMO, buying Chinese is a crap shoot. Sometimes their parts are very good while other times their parts are very bad. The Chinese sell on price and to be competitive they tend to cut corners. The problem is their stuff doesn't hold up and they've gotcha by the balls. If you buy a rebuilt water pump it will use Chinese parts. When I did my 4.9L swap I ordered a new water pump. I chose the Bosch brand expecting a USA or German manufactured item. When I got it from Rock Auto it read Made in China.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock