Blazin's 88GT w/3800SC swap by blazin'
Started on: 05-18-2020 03:29 PM
Replies: 6 (340 views)
Last post by: blazin' on 05-25-2020 06:09 PM
blazin'

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2020 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I figured I'm well enough into getting my swap going, so why not make a thread?

So back in January, I scooped up this;

Powered by this;

Needless to say, the series 1 leaves a little to be desired and it was a bit of a visually unappealing mess, so the Impala came into the picture,

After the Impala was gutted, I came across a Gen V supercharger.

Obviously with the Gen V, the throttle body had to be addressed. I didn't feel the need to tackle DBW, and it didn't make sense to run a TB smaller than the SC inlet (Series 2 TB) so I went with a N* throttle body, ZZP adapter and a LQ4 MAF.

Initially, I was going to port match the L67 Lim but I found the matching Lim as well as the return less fuel rail and injectors local.

Onto the wiring, the harness was labeled and removed. Stripping the tape and loom was a pita, but I want a clean install with very little showing.

Went from this

To this

That box was packed away for the time being. The car will be wired as a 98 GTP, using Darth's pinouts.

Things to do in the next couple weeks will be to:

- Tap Lim for heater hose.
- install Lim,
- Change S/C oil and wrinkle paint
- Remove exhaust flange and A/C from Impala.

Now early on I picked up a 3.4" pulley, but that will be swapped with a 3.6" most likely. I haven't decided if I'm going to do a cam or rockers or just straight install.

I got sidetracked with another Fiero I picked up this weekend, I wanted it for parts but it has potential to be another project.

It's still early, and I'm planning it out almost as it happens but it's time to solidify the plan and document the build, so hence this thread! Thanks for looking!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2020 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2020 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks like a good start.

Is your 3.4 a modular pulley setup? If not I'd recommend going that way if you're not sure how far you want to go with mods.
blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2020 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, no my pulley is a press on. I purchased the 3.4" before I had my Gen V supercharger. From a practical standpoint, it just makes too much sense to run the modular pulley setup.

My thinking is that I should start with the 3.6 and perhaps have a 3.5 on hand if I do go for rockers.

I guess one thing I need to factor is that I don't have 93 octane available to me here, 91 is the highest I've found.
ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blazin':

Thanks, no my pulley is a press on. I purchased the 3.4" before I had my Gen V supercharger. From a practical standpoint, it just makes too much sense to run the modular pulley setup.

My thinking is that I should start with the 3.6 and perhaps have a 3.5 on hand if I do go for rockers.

I guess one thing I need to factor is that I don't have 93 octane available to me here, 91 is the highest I've found.

That sucks.
I have seen that you can get away with slightly lower pulley sizes on fiero's than you can with a w-body.
Could be attributed to the exhaust setup?

blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ignorant prodigy:

That sucks.
I have seen that you can get away with slightly lower pulley sizes on fiero's than you can with a w-body.
Could be attributed to the exhaust setup?

I found both a 3.5" and a 3.6" for sale online, once they are confirmed to be mine I'll put an order into ZZP for the hub.

I would guess since most exhaust setups in the Fiero are so short it would contribute to allowing a smaller pulley. So far this has been my biggest hurdle since I can't decide what to run. I've already passed on a used p-log, pacesetter headers and I've been toying with the idea of Mustang manifolds. I would like to squeeze a small cat or a resonator in there somewhere, I'm not a fan of the 3800 exhaust sound.
blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2020 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Little bit of progress on the SC and manifold.

Was going to paint the fuel rail, but I think I'll just clean it up, trim the extra tabs off and leave it as is for a bit of shine.

[This message has been edited by blazin' (edited 05-25-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock