latch/lock assembly by stripfiero
Started on: 05-16-2020 10:04 PM
Replies: 7 (162 views)
Last post by: Rickady88GT on 05-19-2020 08:08 PM
stripfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2020 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stripfieroSend a Private Message to stripfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can some one here tell what other make and model door latch/lock assembly will fit my 86 se fiero. I can not believe it is going to cost me over $140.00 for one.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2020 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where are you getting that price from? You're talking about the actual latching mechanism?
stripfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2020 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stripfieroSend a Private Message to stripfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes the hole lock and latch that is on the door. The prices i have been seeing is on line and on ebay.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2020 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stripfiero:

Yes the whole lock and latch that is on the door.

The one on eBay will not fit. Vehicle listing is wrong.

Discontinued part. I think you may need the check the wrecking yards for used one.
https://www.fierostore.com/...57542U%20%20%20%20RH

Looks like 82-85 Olds Toronado used the same assembly, so equally hard to find.

Passenger side part number 16608172 (was 20488070)
Driver's side Part Number 16608173 (was 20488071)

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2020 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a relatively crazy idea; Is there a possibility of a rear door latch that would work? Rear doors are opened much less often, so a replacement from a JY would have fewer "miles" on it....

May not be the exact same PN, but may be usable....
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never knew it was so hard to get that part? It looks a lot like any other GM latch to me. It even looks like the Jeep Cherokee latch would work?
Have you tried to use a different latch?
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now my curiosity has peaked. I wonder how difficult it would be to dismantle one and rebuild it.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Now my curiosity has peaked. I wonder how difficult it would be to dismantle one and rebuild it.

They are rivited and none serviceable. The parts that wear out can not be purchased anywhere. The Jeep latch has some plastic coated parts to make them quieter.
But I have cleaned and lubed several of the Fiero latches to get them nice and smooth again.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 05-19-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock