Started on: 05-08-2020 11:55 PM
Replies: 10 (687 views)
Last post by: California Kid on 06-02-2020 08:40 AM
California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2020 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So last year I sold Dad's Red 1987 to a high school kid for $400 bucks. Him, his older brother, and Dad all came to look at the non-runner. I was touched that he said it was going to be his first car and he wanted to fix it up so I gave him a sweetheart deal.

Fast forward 4 weeks and I find out they're all liars and they bought the car to fix and flip. I'm still a little chapped about it. Anyways I was scanning craigslist and the guy who bought it from them is trying to sell it now. He has it listed for $3400.

Link's here. https://detroit.craigslist....o-gt/7117505974.html Listing seems pretty accurate. I would check the front radiator mounts. When I had a mechanic look over the car before selling it he said the bottom ones were rusted out and would need to be replaced. Just an FYI.

D
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2020 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

So last year I sold Dad's Red 1987 to a high school kid for $400 bucks. Him, his older brother, and Dad all came to look at the non-runner. I was touched that he said it was going to be his first car and he wanted to fix it up so I gave him a sweetheart deal.

Fast forward 4 weeks and I find out they're all liars and they bought the car to fix and flip. I'm still a little chapped about it. Anyways I was scanning craigslist and the guy who bought it from them is trying to sell it now. He has it listed for $3400.

Link's here. https://detroit.craigslist....o-gt/7117505974.html Listing seems pretty accurate. I would check the front radiator mounts. When I had a mechanic look over the car before selling it he said the bottom ones were rusted out and would need to be replaced. Just an FYI.

D

Yeah I'd be pissed too, especially if you gave him a good price based on his "story."

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2020 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would have paid $500 for that. Never trust the "It's for my kid" or variations, oldest car buying trick in the book for jerks.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2020 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same thing happened to me when I sold the 88. It had a lot of rust issues and even though I had fixed the worst of them (upper frame rails) I still felt the car only had a limited life so let it go for what I felt was a fair price given the condition (sub $1000) to a guy who was 'buying it for a friend' ! I even explained all the work I had done on it.
He promptly sold it on CL for a couple of grand and then a couple of weeks later I saw it up again on CL for north of $4000.

Me?
I may never be super rich but I sleep just fine at night!

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2020 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I know....A lot of people who heard the story told me some variation of, "Don't hate the player, hate the game son..."

Here's the thing though. If they were honest and told me they were going to fix it right and get it back on the road, I would have given it to them for $500 anyways. I wasn't looking to get rich, I just knew Dad wouldn't have wanted the car parted out or junked. It's getting lied to that I can't stand.

Also helpful tip to any youngsters out there, don't reach out and friend the person you just conned on Instagram. That's how I found out they were going to dump it and the kid never had an interest it in.

D
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2020 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was touched that he said it was going to be his first car and he wanted to fix it up so I gave him a sweetheart deal.

Fast forward 4 weeks and I find out they're all liars and they bought the car to fix and flip.

It's getting lied to that I can't stand.

I had a somewhat similar situation a few years ago when I sold my mom and dad's 1967 Chevrolet that they had owned since it was new. I remember going with my mom when I was 11 years old to pick it up from the dealership. Fast-forward 40+ years, my mom had passed, and my dad was in his 90's. The car had been sitting for a long time, and my dad wanted it gone. I sold it to a fella who said he was buying it to fix it up for his daughter. Seemed unlikely, but whatever. Several months later, I looked the buyer up on Facebook. Sure enough, he had posted that he had flipped the car and sold it to a collector. The part that irked me the most though, was that he was gloating how he had snatched it up from "a little old man". Some people are just dicks.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2020 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I sell a car I leave it up to the good ethics of the buyer to decide what to do with it. Being a long time car collector what I have seen is that some guys buy an old "collector car" don't bother to fix under car rust or mechanical issues, throw on a cheap Macco paint job, clean the engine compartment do a band aid fix like adding heavyweight oil to the engine and then flip it for a good profit. You know the next buyer of that car is going to have problems. While I would say that the vast majority of Fiero people on his forum are decent people, there is always a chance that you will encounter an unscrupulous buyer. Its unfortunate, but those people don't get away with it, they will ultimately fall on their own sword.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2020 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So last year I sold Dad's Red 1987 to a high school kid for $400 bucks. Him, his older brother, and Dad all came to look at the non-runner ...

Sounds like Dad successfully passed on his morals to his sons, very sad.
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2020 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same **** happened to me, I sold a Mustang to a father and son for his "First car" dad couldn't afford much due to divorce and child support and the son grew up loving mustangs and really wanted on as a first car. Touched I allowed them to talk me down on the car... Less than a week later some one pulled up craigslist and showed me the Mustang for sale for 500 over me original asking price.

All I could do is say "well they got me"... Never again.. I sell a bunch of cars.. Now I dont care about any sob story.. Its a lie.. plain and simple
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2020 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the ad is still up. If they contact you again still trying to sell it, tell them I'll give them $1000 cash if they want to double their money, maybe they'll get desperate given the current economic climate. Then if you want it back, $1000.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2020 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Looks like the ad is still up. If they contact you again still trying to sell it, tell them I'll give them $1000 cash if they want to double their money, maybe they'll get desperate given the current economic climate. Then if you want it back, $1000.

The guy currently selling it bought it from the family that scammed me, so I have no beef with him...

Although you can access the listing via link it no longer shows up in the search. I wonder if someone picked it up...

D
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock