Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
   New member wants to instal a v8 (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
New member wants to instal a v8 by Roger Walling
Started on: 05-02-2020 01:52 PM
Replies: 49 (1204 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 05-26-2020 09:11 PM
Roger Walling

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2020 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Roger WallingSend a Private Message to Roger WallingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rickady88GT.

What kind of insulation did you use and how thick?
IP: Logged
Roger Walling

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2020 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Roger WallingSend a Private Message to Roger WallingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Roger Walling

36 posts
Member since Apr 2020
Rickady88GT

What heat shield mat did you use and how thick is it?
Thank you, Roger
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2020 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Roger Walling:

As I have my fuel tank in the rear luggage compartment, I an concerned with the heat from the rear exhaust manifold.
I have been told that ceramic coating the manifolds inside and out will reduce the heat transfer by 50%.
Is there insulation that I could line the rear compartment that would reduce the heat transfer even more?

I plan on installing air scoops in the side of the fuel compartment and maybe even a blower to vent the heat.

I have never seen what the exhaust system looks like in a V8 installation, where does one place the muffler and the tailpipes?

A pic or a diagram would be very helpful in order to avoid any mistakes on my part.

Thank you,
Roger.

The fuel tank is in middle of the Fiero for safety reasons. In case of an accident it is protected. What beneficial result did you envision when you moved the fuel tank to the trunk? May be Good for drag racing only, but for street use, a rear end collision will cause fire and death. .
As for the compact exhaust that we speak about; its starts with a U bend head pipe from the exhaust manifold into a small crossflow muffler like the 13" Spintech. The twin muffler outlets at the bottom connect to the twin exhaust pipes. Easy fit without trunk cutting using the stock heat shield. See head pipe and muffler below.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2020 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis, look at the pics of the car on the first page of this thread.
It seems the stock location for the tank isn't available any more.
Roger Walling

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2020 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Roger WallingSend a Private Message to Roger WallingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rickady88GT,

What kind of insulation did you use in your trunk and how thick is it?
Thanks
Roger
Roger Walling

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2020 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Roger WallingSend a Private Message to Roger WallingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a lead on a complete Caddy that has been in storage for a few years since the owner died.
I don't think that they want a lot of money for it.
I will follow up on this.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2020 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 4.9 so I'll chime in. It is a significant upgrade over the stock motor in power and exhaust note. Given how few V8s will bolt up to a Fiero transmission it's a good economical choice if the power out of the box is adequate. Don't expect to do any aftermarket upgrades though.

Just curious, what is your car registered as? What was the inspiration for that design? Never seen anything like that before.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2020 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT,

What kind of insulation did you use in your trunk and how thick is it?
Thanks
Roger

The insulation is from Jegs. It is a mat of what looks like fiberglass insulation (the high heat yellow type) with a reflective foil. The heat shield is a stock Fiero heat shield, I just used 2 of them stacked over each other in the stock location.
Roger Walling

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2020 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Roger WallingSend a Private Message to Roger WallingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I have a 4.9 so I'll chime in. It is a significant upgrade over the stock motor in power and exhaust note. Given how few V8s will bolt up to a Fiero transmission it's a good economical choice if the power out of the box is adequate. Don't expect to do any aftermarket upgrades though.

Just curious, what is your car registered as? What was the inspiration for that design? Never seen anything like that before.

The car is registered as a 1984 Pontiac Fiero. My inspiration came from my trip to the Bonneville salt flats and I wanted it to look like a land speed roadster.

I wanted the wheels to stick out, so I narrowed the body 9" right down the center.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2020 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The car is registered as a 1984 Pontiac Fiero. My inspiration came from my trip to the Bonneville salt flats and I wanted it to look like a land speed roadster.

I wanted the wheels to stick out, so I narrowed the body 9" right down the center.

Nicely done. I like seeing someone build it the way they envision it.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock