Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Interesting Supercharger. Possible 2.8 application?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Interesting Supercharger. Possible 2.8 application? by fieroguru
Started on: 04-28-2020 08:28 PM
Replies: 12 (549 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 05-10-2020 03:00 PM
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2020 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Came across this and made me think of the 2.8 install. All I know about it is that the mfg closed up shop back in 2007.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2020 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's funny because for the life of me I can't remember what car used that setup back in the late 80's. I thought it was a great way to remote the supercharger. I had to search for this but back in the day one of the members from Germany engineered this:

I thought it was a hell of a setup.....and a real headache to engineer.
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2020 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That engine has an extra-long dogbone to push the engine forwards and away from the trunk, presumably for supercharger clearance.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2020 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it may be Mercedes, I had a friend who worked at Mercedes and he showed me a blower that was offset like that. Google "Mercedes supercharger" and look at the images.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 04-29-2020).]

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2020 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

qwikgta

4659 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

That engine has an extra-long dogbone to push the engine forwards and away from the trunk, presumably for supercharger clearance.

and DIS
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2020 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

It's funny because for the life of me I can't remember what car used that setup back in the late 80's. I thought it was a great way to remote the supercharger. I had to search for this but back in the day one of the members from Germany engineered this:

I thought it was a hell of a setup.....and a real headache to engineer.

I'm curious if this set up is still on the road or if he blew up the 2.8 ...
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2020 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a friend who has a 2.8 in his Manx dune buggy. And it is supercharged. He has told me about it in the past and my vague recall is that it was an aftermarket unit used in S10 pickups as I recall. When he sees them or associated parts on EBay or elsewhere, he tries to buy them. He has mentioned to me that he has a complete setup that I should be using on my Rokit mini wide body. He doesn't seem to have issues with the setup, and brings the buggy to our car shows and on some of the tours we do. I can get more info if anybody cares.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2020 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bjc 350:

I have a friend who has a 2.8 in his Manx dune buggy. And it is supercharged. He has told me about it in the past and my vague recall is that it was an aftermarket unit used in S10 pickups as I recall. When he sees them or associated parts on EBay or elsewhere, he tries to buy them. He has mentioned to me that he has a complete setup that I should be using on my Rokit mini wide body. He doesn't seem to have issues with the setup, and brings the buggy to our car shows and on some of the tours we do. I can get more info if anybody cares.

Fageol made a S/C kit intended for S10 2.8L engine applications.
https://img1.wsimg.com/blob...oads/fs-S10_info.pdf

Pics
https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...ad=20110502-2-106764

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2020 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you consider the ease of installation, cost and performance , the turbocharger wins on all counts. All it requires is some custom exhaust work, an simple oil line, a 2 BAR MAP and a custom chip, but the stock 2.8L engine is not a real good candidate for anything more than 5-6 psi of boost.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2020 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I keep seeing ideas for superchargers for the 60 degree V6. The narrow intake manifold, due to the narrow angle between the banks, seems to be the limiting factor.
I keep wondering if the injectors and fuel rail(s) couldn't be mounted inside the manifold, under the supercharger, similar to how the 4.3 Chevy CPI setup is done. It would allow a lot more flexibility in mounting the S/C. Even on top of the engine.
I don't think a few pounds of boost would be much of an issue. The heat generated might be, however.

Thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-06-2020).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2020 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's quite a few of us here in the "IF I had to do it over camp"
who would say we would SWAP IN a 3800 S/C instead.

A well done install looks like it grew in there.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-08-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2020 05:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that 2.8 makes me think back to the Thunderbird super coupe that had the supercharged 3.8 as it sat about the same way but it did have a intercooler
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2020 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a similar one someone was adapting to a Fiero.

https://sfbay.craigslist.or...with/7118853018.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock