Fiero 4.9 need help with a part by 87GT2M6
Started on: 04-27-2020 11:17 PM
Replies: 18 (600 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 05-19-2020 02:33 AM
87GT2M6

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2020 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all, first of all, hope all are staying safe.

I need this part shown in the green outline in the photo below. Does not need to be as nice as that one "if possible I'd like it to be" however just knowing what hoses to get would be fine as well.

Thanks in advance to any and all who can help me locate these parts or hose/hoses.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2020 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can plug the hole in the air horn and install a vent filter in the valve cover grommet.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 04-28-2020).]

87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2020 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate it. So there is no issue in plugging the hole in the air horn, correct?

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2020 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No problem. The tube is the filtered air feed for the PCV system.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2020 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 4.9 came with a similar setup. I swapped to a small "cone" filter on the valve cover.
No problem at all with plugging the hose barb on the intake duct.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2020 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I believe this gives a clear shot of the mod that we are discussing.

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 04-29-2020).]

87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2020 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to all of you, your help is greatly appreciated.

Now I know what to get to make my mod.

Again a great big thank you to all, and stay safe.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2020 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to help, good luck with your project.
DanFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2020 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

You can plug the hole in the air horn and install a vent filter in the valve cover grommet.

Can I ask what the Intake hose is from that you used to go the 4.9 intake? I haven found an acceptable hose that works worth a crap, other than dryer venting.

thanks.

Dan

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2020 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a Camaro duct, from a HO 305.
If I can find the part number, I will post it here.
J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2020 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dan, the flex hose I used is from a mid 80s Firebird (Part number 14056938).

Jack
PFF
System Bot
DanFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2020 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by J Gunsett:

Dan, the flex hose I used is from a mid 80s Firebird (Part number 14056938).

Jack

Jack, I believe that is the part I picked up from the local junkyard last week. It doesn't quite line up with the original Fiero air filter canister. Is there something you did to help this out? Its real close but its off by a couple inches (lower).

Thanks!! Im getting close in this little puzzle game.

Dan

DanFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2020 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DanFiero

2815 posts
Member since Jul 2002
DanFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2020 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DanFiero

2815 posts
Member since Jul 2002
Jack,

I found some pics of your setup and just happen to have an unused 2.8 intake laying around and that seems to have solved my problem. Thanks everyone for the tips!!

J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2020 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dan you found the answer. TI had to use first couple of inches of the original Fiero air duct and then attach the Firebird intake hose to that. Looks good. Here is an image of what I did.

Jack
DanFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2020 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by J Gunsett:

Dan you found the answer. TI had to use first couple of inches of the original Fiero air duct and then attach the Firebird intake hose to that. Looks good. Here is an image of what I did.

Jack

Thanks for the help, I have been trying different things for years and have never been happy with the way things fit together till now. Between Joe and you I can consider this problem fixed!! I'm also hoping this might help my high idle issue since I will no longer be sucking air in from ill fitting intake hoses as I cant find anymore vacuum leaks to explain it.

Dan

[This message has been edited by DanFiero (edited 05-17-2020).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2020 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DanFiero:
Thanks for the help, I have been trying different things for years and have never been happy with the way things fit together till now. Between Joe and you I can consider this problem fixed!! I'm also hoping this might help my high idle issue since I will no longer be sucking air in from ill fitting intake hoses as I cant find anymore vacuum leaks to explain it.

Dan

Maybe this will fix your idle, but probably not. Most 4.9 Idle issues are caused by the idle learn procedure.

I never got mine to work right because one of the steps is to put it in drive and I have a 6 speed. I tried a work around to trick it into thinking its in drive but that didn't work. Also to do this properly the car needs to have all the diagnostics installed which most, (if not all Fieros) don't have. The 4.9 is notorious for crappy idle in the Fiero as a result.

IDLE LEARN PROCEDURE ***4.9L***
1-outside temp is 50 degrees or greater
2-start engine and idle 13 min
3-at end of 13 min- enter diagnostics (engine running)
4-turn engine off
5-wait min of 20 sec
6-turn ign on (engine off)
7-enter diagnostics
8-turn ign off
9-wait min of 20 seconds
10-turn ign on (engine off)
11-enter diagnostics
12-turn ign off
13-wait min of 20 seconds
14-start engine
15- appy brakes and shift into 'drive'
16- turn the ccp 'off' and allow engine yo idle 1 minute
17- turn the ccp to 'auto' make sure AC comp engages- idle for 1
minute
18- put car in park and turn ign off

https://www.cadillacforums....earn-procedure.7482/

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-18-2020).]

DanFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info, the one idle learn procedure I had found was way over my head. This one seems to be one I could follow. The only question I have is how do you enter Into diagnostic mode on the Fiero?

Thanks for the help!!
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Entering diagnostic mode is a major stumbling block. You need to punch some buttons on the a/c unit which most people have not installed the Deville a/c unit. I have one in a box somewhere I was going to marry it to the ECU to see if I could make it work and I parked the car and haven't touched it in years.

Plan b is to removed the ISC controller and manually control the idle. I live where it's warm enough I probably can set it low and not worry about it.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-19-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock