Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  The resurrection of Petey the Formula (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The resurrection of Petey the Formula by jessesmith121
Started on: 04-13-2020 11:29 AM
Replies: 55 (1073 views)
Last post by: jessesmith121 on 07-18-2020 11:54 AM
jessesmith121

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Recently I was looking for a project Fiero ( I tried to escape the Fiero world but always get sucked back in) and GTGEFF out of Minnesota happened to be selling the car both of his kids drove through high school named affectionately "Petey". When discussing this car with Jeff , I could tell that there was a deep connection between him and this car. A connection I would love to develop with a car again. Was the car perfect? No, it was in good shape and well taken care of, but lets face it.... A Minnesota daily driver with 160k will have some issues. The most concerning one is rust.

After a week or so of chatting we struck up a deal and off to Minnesota I went. It was only fitting that I decided to drive to Minnesota in a snow storm with a borrowed truck and trailer. Took me about 5 hours to get there but in my opinion it was well worth the drive. The car was what I expected, maybe a little better than expected ( the interior was in exceptional shape) the real gem was chatting with Jeff.

We just sat and chatted for about an hour (going to go get straps my buddy said he threw in his truck but didnt) and talking about cars we have had in the past. This was probably my favorite part of the project so far. Jeff discussed the car at length with me, talking about all it had been through and all the years he has had it. I could tell he really didn't want to sell it. So I promised him I would keep him up to date on all the progress and projects with the car. He gave me some Tyler Shipman & 35 year anniversary badges and we shook hands. I am proud to say I consider him a friend now.

On to the car... A white Formula Auto with 160k.... I promised myself I would never have an auto again... I loathe the TH125, ive only had one other out of the 30 some odd fieros ive owned and swore I would never have one again. That being said beggars cannot be choosers... I decided before I even picked it up I would be swapping it out. That got me thinking.... I have a 3.4l DOHC sitting in my shop as well... I am going to be doing a lot of work swapping trannys and repairing rust... so what the hell... might as well swap that in at the sometime. So here we are... 88 Formula auto conversion to a 3.4 DOHC with a "shifty boi" as my friend Larkin would put it.

Got the car home, Jeff threw a couple of bumpers in the deal with replace the damaged front. First thing was unloading it and getting him into the garage. It was a great feeling to have a Fiero in the garage again. I have something with these cars... I must be a mental case... My first car was a Fiero and I have typically always had one since. Including some unicorns I should have never sold.

Here are some pictures of Petey on the trailer on the way home...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's Petey with Jeff

jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jessesmith121

477 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Me with Petey wearing my old school Fiero Farm "got fieros" t shirt

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car looks nice- hopefully it is not rotten to crap underneath from being winter driven... I have seen far too many FIeros ruined by salt. Good luck with the project!
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After a long overdue bath... It was a long wet, snowy drive home from Minnesota

jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jessesmith121

477 posts
Member since Apr 2004

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

Car looks nice- hopefully it is not rotten to crap underneath from being winter driven... I have seen far too many FIeros ruined by salt. Good luck with the project!

Yeah, ive started the process... there is definitely some rust.. but in for a Penny in for a Pound... I will document the entire project and speed bumps in the process. I am determined to get him back to tip top.
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jessesmith121

477 posts
Member since Apr 2004
So I wanted to dig in pretty quick to working on this. First I wanted to see how bad the structure under the bumper was... It took a light hit in the front and damaged the bumper and left front fender. Soooooo off with it all... Time to get to work.... I have a philosophy, any project car I start working on I MUST work on it every day... even if its only for 5 min or so. If you dont.... Then one day away turns into two.... Then a week... then you blink and that car has been sitting in the garage taking up space for 5 years with no progress. Here are the pictures of the fender, front bumper and hood off.
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jessesmith121

477 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Hood, driver fender and bumper off, excuse the mess in the garage... I've got a few other house projects going on as well... It's getting cleaner all the time. Lol

[This message has been edited by jessesmith121 (edited 04-13-2020).]

jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jessesmith121

477 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Well, the bumper bar isnt too bad off, and I dont see any other damage to any of the structure. There is a bit of rust.... but its only surface so far... nothing "rotted" as of yet... So I get out my grinder and wire wheel and get to work on the bumper bar...
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jessesmith121

477 posts
Member since Apr 2004
After Primer

After a fresh coat of Chassis Black

The back

jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jessesmith121

477 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Then it happened.... My first run in with some rot.... The turn signal mount was half gone... Here is the picture...

PFF
System Bot
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jessesmith121

477 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Never fear.... A quick Facebook message to my buddy Todd down south and a new one was on the way... Thought hit me pretty quick though. I am going to be refinishing a bunch of parts... I am going to need a more efficient way to strip and coat...

LIGHT BULB.....

Sandblaster and Powder-coating...

Let me break my piggy bank and then...... shabamm! it appeared!

jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jessesmith121

477 posts
Member since Apr 2004
So here we go.... got the new bracket in from Todd... Took it to the sand blaster and any paint or rust was stripped off quick fast and in a hurry...

Before

Blasted

Powdercoated

jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jessesmith121

477 posts
Member since Apr 2004
The powder coating gun took a bit to get dialed in. That being said what an easy process. There is going to be a lot of coating done over the next ..... Well forever basically.
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jessesmith121

477 posts
Member since Apr 2004
While taking the fender off I noticed a little rust on the frame of the car itself. So trusty grinder and wire wheel in hand I gave it the ole Chuck Norris and kicked it away in a pile of dust. Then some primer and some chassis black to save the day... I guess I will be removing everything from the front compartment and ensuring that there is no hidden rust that needs to be addressed. It will be fun...

jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jessesmith121

477 posts
Member since Apr 2004

Another shout out to Todd! Sending me a full factory sub kit! ( I dont know why I just like these ) and a Push button radio... I have a few of these now so I should be able to make one or two of them function!

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My first , OK, only, swap was a DOHC so I look forward to watching yours.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

My first , OK, only, swap was a DOHC so I look forward to watching yours.

My biggest concern is the wiring... Parts are becoming more scarce for those engines as well. I probably should join some grand prix groups to assist with parts. I have always wanted a 3.4 DOHC in a fiero though. Here is the engine sitting in my shop.

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I loved it in my car, mated to Isuzu 5 speed trans.First gear was a bit short but on the freeway it was great.
There's some wiring diagrams for how I did mine on my web site 'somewhere ' in my DOHC section that may, or may not, be of some help. They made sense to me when I did them, not so sure now
Basically I took the Fiero Factory Service manual and a Cutless Supreme Service manual and figured out the common stuff then custom built my own harness. took forever but it worked which is all that matters!

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats the Transmission I picked up for the swap... an Izusu 5-speed

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was an ultra rare Getrag 284 (I think) for sale recently in Colorado. This is the 5 speed that came with the DOHC 3.4 motor. Very rare, but would be a great score to pair with this engine- probably a lot stronger than the Isuzu. Not sure if rebuild parts are available for it- probably not
PFF
System Bot
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There was an ultra rare Getrag 284 (I think) for sale recently in Colorado. This is the 5 speed that came with the DOHC 3.4 motor. Very rare, but would be a great score to pair with this engine- probably a lot stronger than the Isuzu. Not sure if rebuild parts are available for it- probably not

You have the contact info for that....? Worth the road trip

jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2020 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jessesmith121

477 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Nevermind.... I just bought a T-Top kit for it. So this just turned into a

88 formula t-top 3.4 DOHC 5 Speed project....

Darn it ... I'm going to go broke... Lol

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2020 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just make sure it is not rotten to crap before putting hundreds of hours of work into it...

Too many people get a cheap or free Fiero, but then spend hundreds of hours and painstaking work into trying to get it on the road, when there are still a good number of rust free southern cars or winter stored cars available for a bit more money, and without the frustrating hassle of trying to repair rust

I will see if I can find the contact info for that transmission. Apparently it is the "holy grail' of transmissions for 60 deg V6 motors, but ultra rare, since the vast majority of Grand Prix GTP and Lumina Z34 cars were girlie-matic..
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2020 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just make sure it is not rotten to crap before putting hundreds of hours of work into it...

Yeah, Im probably going to pull the rear clip this weekend just to see how big of a mess I am in. I am very confident its not rotted beyond repair. The saving grace is the preview in the trunk... A little bubble but ZERO show through. Tells me its probably not beyond repair.

Also... Side note... I am not opposed to doing some repair, I need to teach my son some of these skills so he isnt worthless when it comes to cars. lol...

All the cradle mounting points are solid as well. Suspension looks great. I am felling good about it. I will post pictures.

jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2020 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jessesmith121

477 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Spent my time Tonight cleaning the sandblaster. The fit and finish wasn't perfect. So I decided to seal it up some more and caulk the joints.

Sand everywhere

After caulked

GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2020 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jesse,

I just hope you're not overwhelming yourself with too many things at once.

Thanks for the update. Please keep the progress pictures coming.

Jeff
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2020 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTGeff:
Jesse,

I just hope you're not overwhelming yourself with too many things at once.

Thanks for the update. Please keep the progress pictures coming.

Jeff

In for a penny.... in for a pound... I dont think I can add too much more lol. I am excited to make forward progress every time I work on him

jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2020 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, progress update.

Got both rockers off today. The fenders, the rear bumper and the two lower panels on the rear clip. Pics in each post below. Found some rust in places I didn't expect... And no rust in places I did expect. Not to mention a few spots the car has been hit. All is below
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2020 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jessesmith121

477 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Here is the current status of the car
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2020 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jessesmith121

477 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Got the rear bumper off, it looks like it took a hit on the rear driver side. Wasn't hard, but hard enough to do a little damage.

PFF
System Bot
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2020 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jessesmith121

477 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Surprised about the condition under the battery box. Just surface rust with minimal corrosion. Still need to clean it up and POR ..
but it's a good base
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2020 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jessesmith121

477 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Looks like someone attempted to jack this incorrectly at some point... The body fin is folded over here. I will figure out a way to get it straightened out.
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2020 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jessesmith121

477 posts
Member since Apr 2004
This is the big concern... There is some rust through on the forward brace for the passenger side cradle mount. So I'm going to have to fix this. Looks like I've got some welding in my future.
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2020 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jessesmith121

477 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Some POR will sort the front of the car right out ..

jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2020 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my new to me oven for powdercoating today!

jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2020 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally found some additional parts needed for the Ttops.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2020 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jessesmith121:
Hood, driver fender and bumper off, excuse the mess in the garage... I've got a few other house projects going on as well... It's getting cleaner all the time. Lol

A wise person once gave me this advice :

Originally posted by jessesmith121:
I have a philosophy, any project I start working on I MUST work on it every day... even if its only for 5 min or so. If you dont ...

Good luck with Petey.

jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2020 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Cliff... I believe there will have to be a little luck involved. The rest will be fueled with pure determination (or as my wife calls it Obsessive stubbornness) and encouragement.

I appreciate the kind words.

I know it would be cheaper to buy a car the way I want. Ive always appreciated a car with sweat equity though. It wall also be nice to teach my 12 year old to work on projects as well.
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2020 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jessesmith121

477 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Today just a little forward momentum... Got the handheld sandblaster out to do some rust mitigation on the front. Here are some of the before and after now I will prime... Then paint when I paint the entire front. But primer will hold until then... Just a few min a day... Step by step. This entire process too about 15 min.

Before

After

[This message has been edited by jessesmith121 (edited 04-22-2020).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave