Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  The resurrection of Petey the Formula (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The resurrection of Petey the Formula by jessesmith121
Started on: 04-13-2020 11:29 AM
Replies: 55 (1073 views)
Last post by: jessesmith121 on 07-18-2020 11:54 AM
jessesmith121

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2020 05:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is under the car some... I had to hammer straight the space frame rockermount fin due to an accident. I've got a little more to straighten out. Then pound flat the rivet holes then paint with POR.

[This message has been edited by jessesmith121 (edited 04-23-2020).]

IP: Logged
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2020 06:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Keep them coming.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2020 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jessesmith121:
Thanks Cliff... I believe there will have to be a little luck involved. The rest will be fueled with pure determination (or as my wife calls it Obsessive stubbornness) and encouragement.

I believe luck, opportunity, and success, is a culmination of effort. The opposite is true also. There is a reason we were in the right place at the right time. Just as being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I've always appreciated a car with sweat equity though. It wall also be nice to teach my 12 year old to work on projects as well.

Not only to work on projects. To learn new things. Become more able / skilled. Build confidence. Appreciate sweat equity.

The reason I posted before was your comment ...

... excuse the mess in the garage ...

A wise person once gave me this advice :

... I MUST work on it every day... even if its only for 5 min or so. If you dont ...

I often quip that a woman has her burdens (make up, shaving legs and such, tweezing eyebrows, menstural, others) and men have shops.
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2020 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yesterday was a blast! Took a day to gather some parts. Not to mention meet some amazing people. Man where to start .. My buddy Larkin and I hopped in my wifes dodge journey left Iowa and headed to Wisconsin to pick up some parts. First stop... FIERO JOHN-WI, I had a ttop setup to pick up and Larkin had a power lumbar seat. Then we got to see (and touch) his Picasso the 88 GT Ttop in Silver... Damn... Cleanest car I've ever seen. Thanks John.

Then we were told about Rodney Dickman being up the street. Well.... A quick phone call and off to dickmans we went. We hung out and shot the breeze with RD for about an hour and drooled over his grand national and Mera .

Next stop, jaybug56 in Illinois. Jackpot.... Picked up a transmission, fender and some other parts. Great dude... And master negotiater when it comes to Fiero parts. ( I made him an offer he countered with a lower price)

As with all Fiero people I could have spent hours and hours talking to them all.

Appreciate the trip and the memories!

larafan

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2020 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larafanSend a Private Message to larafanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a great road trip!!
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2020 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by larafan:

Sounds like a great road trip!!

It really was, these are the best ones. Meeting Fiero people sharing common interests. Especially in a world where everyone getting alone is becoming more rare.
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2020 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, Petey update... So some discoveries has me changing direction a little. I was in the process of cleaning and prepping the front clip for paint (POR), restoration and suspension rebuild. It dawned on me like a pile of bricks. I need to put in the clutch master cylinder and remove the auto trans lines. Well... If I remove the trans lines I wont be able to move the car without making a huge mess.

Well **** ...

So I guess the engine swap should be first, so I can remove the tranny lines and install the clutch line.

So here we goooo... I had the opportunity to pick up a second 3.4 DOHC engine . So off in the Jetta Sportwagen I went to pick it up. 50 MPG Engine hauler...

Side note.... Anyone reading this know where I can send my harnesses off to so this can be plug and play? I would dig into it... but really dont have a ton of time.

Ordering the new flywheel and clutch today. Downloading the guide to retard the exhaust timing 15 degrees and getting rear suspension parts.

Another sidenote... anyone know what color the factory "orange-red" is on the plentum? I want to powdercoat the 3.4 parts but need the powder, not sure which to order.

[This message has been edited by jessesmith121 (edited 05-04-2020).]

jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2020 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's an update... I've been collecting parts and doing some prep work for the swap. I've picked up a second engine and all parts necessary to start the swap.

jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2020 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the rear clip off and was super happy .. frame rails are solid!

jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2020 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jessesmith121

477 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Took the oil pan off on the 3.4 dual cam and the main bearings were great! Rod bearings were not so great... That being said there was no damage to the journals and they were in spec. So new rod bearings are on the way.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Okay, Petey update... So some discoveries has me changing direction a little. I was in the process of cleaning and prepping the front clip for paint (POR), restoration and suspension rebuild. It dawned on me like a pile of bricks. I need to put in the clutch master cylinder and remove the auto trans lines. Well... If I remove the trans lines I wont be able to move the car without making a huge mess.

Sorry. I'm a bit late to the party. But you can still move the car with the hard lines removed.
As little as you're going to be moving it, the trans isn't going to make a great deal of heat. I would not hesitate to just loop the tranny cooler line back on itself, bypassing the cooler.

With all of that said... I'm amazed at how solid the car is, considering the area where it lived. In any event, it looks like you've got the situation well in hand.
I'll be following this. I'm hoping to start an LQ1 swap in the next few months, into my 88 coupe. (aka The Ghost In The Machine.)

Good luck with Petey.
PFF
System Bot
Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Took the oil pan off on the 3.4 dual cam and the main bearings were great! Rod bearings were not so great... That being said there was no damage to the journals and they were in spec. So new rod bearings are on the way.

The bottom ends looks great.
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quadfather:
The bottom ends looks great.

Yeah, no sludge... Everything shines... No shavings . All clean.

jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2020 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New rod bearings installed and oil pan back on.. The remaining rod bearings looked very similar. Now on to sand blasting and taking care of the aesthetics of the engine... Pics to follow

Have a great day!
jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2020 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Powder coated one of the valve covers. This color will work pretty good I think.

jessesmith121

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2020 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jessesmith121Send a Private Message to jessesmith121Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Next side done

[This message has been edited by jessesmith121 (edited 07-18-2020).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay